The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 30, 2000, 02:19am
PDLeBoutillier

Question

Hi Guys!

Last season, and for the first time, I really struggled with painful shins, especially when doing several games back-to-back. They cleared up after the season ended. Do any of you know of some useful stretches I can do to avoid that this year?

Paul
Old Wed Aug 30, 2000, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

What shoes do you wear? I was fine until I got the run n ref's. During the summer I wore an old pair of nikes, and had zero problems (i figured wearing shiny shoes didn't matter when half the teams didn't have matching uni's). I will not be wearing those shoes for basketball ever again.

I did start using these knee straps last year that were supposed to be for osgood-schlater problems, they worked very well. It is a 1 inch strap with a foam piece that you strap around the top of your lower leg. I also found stretching on an incline, worked pretty good too.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2000, 11:54am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Hey Paul. Nice to see my fellow Oregonian back on the board.

One stretching exercise I do before a game helps mostly my calves, but also (by default) reduces shin problems.

Stand about three feet from a wall, facing the wall. Lean forward with your arms out until your heady touches the wall and you are forced to get up on your toes. If you don't feel the stretch, then move a little further away from the wall.

Looking forward to your emails this season.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2000, 02:47pm
Suppref

Been there had that! Converse "Whistle" model sneakers aare excellent.
Roadrunnersports.com has an item called the
"Pro Stretch". It looks like 2 old drum brake pads attached together. You stand on it and rock back, it stretches from the achilles to the glute, and is supposed to help with shin splints.
Have fun - -Suppref

[This message has been edited by Suppref (edited August 31, 2000).]
Old Wed Aug 30, 2000, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

I used to have major problems with shin splints, but not anymore. Try these ideas.

1- I wear two pairs of black support socks. They look just like regular socks but they give great support to the calves, shins, and arches. You can pick them up at most any drug store. I buy mine at CVS.

2- The Converse Whistles are 100 times better than the old Runnin' Refs. It's contured more like a sneaker.

3- Wrap your knee with the foam wrap that trainers normally apply before taping. Then start above your knee and roll the foam tape down to form a ring just below the knee cap. It works just like the strap that you see the players wearing.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2000, 08:42pm
PDLeBoutillier

Talking

Thank you to all who posted suggestions for the shin pain I had last year.

Last year I wore a pair of black Nike Airliners, which I thought were comfortable for my feet, but may be part of the problem for my shins. I'll look into some of the shoes suggested.

Mark, I liked your stretch suggestion, but when I tried it I nailed my head against the wall, and now I have a headache. (ouch!) I'll keep trying.

Paul
Old Fri Sep 01, 2000, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by PDLeBoutillier:
Mark, I liked your stretch suggestion, but when I tried it I nailed my head against the wall, and now I have a headache. (ouch!) I'll keep trying.

Paul

The equivalent stretch is to stand on a stair or bleacher row. Put just your toes and ball of your foot on the stair, with the back half + of the foot hanging off the edge (like a diver preparing for a backwards dive). Slowly lower your heel as far as you can and let the calf stretch. Hold for 30 seconds. Raise up on your toes as far as you can. Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat.

Warning -- hold on to a rail (or something) while you do this. The first time you do this, be careful you don't overstretch.

Also, if you beong to a health club, they may have a device to strengthen the tibialis (?) muscles -- on the front of the shin. It basically looks like a mirrored F with weights hanging off the bottom (I'll try a picture):

________
|
|
|
---------
|
|
|
|
weights

You sit on a bench with your feet (only) hanging over the edge. Place your feet between the bars on the device. Raise and lower your toes. If you just let the weight hang, you can stretch the muscle.

Old Fri Sep 01, 2000, 11:41am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by PDLeBoutillier:

Mark, I liked your stretch suggestion, but when I tried it I nailed my head against the wall, and now I have a headache. (ouch!) .

Paul

Paul - I've been doing this exercise for many years and I ALWAYS bang my head against the wall. I'm sure there's a lot of coaches out there that would say "that explains a lot."