The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Shin Splints

I have been getting horrible shin splints lately. Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions to keep them from happening?
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopperref View Post
I have been getting horrible shin splints lately. Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions to keep them from happening?
Couple of questions - when do you get them? Just officiating? Do you run/work out other than officiating?

Do you know if you're a pronator? Do you have flat feet?

There's no right answer for everyone, but many times a combination of poor shoes (for your type of foot) and lack of "officiating fitness" contribute to shin splints. This is actually an area I know a little bit about (shoe fit/type, etc) so if you could give a bit more info I'd love to try to help.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Part of the problem was the number of games I was calling. I had to fill in on several scrimmages last week so I worked about 5 days in a row, about 3 hours each time. I do not have flat feet and I am in fairly good shape. I have games 6 out of 7 days this week so I was just trying to prevent them.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 09:43am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I'm not a Dr., but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Excerpts from on-line article(s)

Shin splints, if that's what you have, can be caused by sudden increases in mileage, overuse, walking or running faster than normal, or just too much distance. They can be caused by excessive pronation or flat feet, and often by pounding from running, or sports like basketball. If you have medial shin splints and flat feet or excessive pronation, an orthotic device or over-the-counter arch support like Powerfeet or Spenco can sometimes be helpful. Make sure it's a full-length insert.

Lateral shin splints are usually due to overuse and inflammation in the front of the leg, along the outside front of your shin. People frequently get anterior shin splints from the repetition of flexing the muscle. For instance, on the treadmill, if you walk fast enough, and for long enough, or if you've suddenly increased the speed, or you're walking on an elevation, the muscle gets overworked and starts to cramp. It would be like doing hundreds of biceps curls until your arm started to cramp.

Treatment for shin splints includes rest, massage, ice, stretching, and strengthening. Rest and ice is sometimes the best treatment. You should also be stretching your calves and Achilles tendon. If you have the problem during running or walking, try warming up more and don't increase the speed too quickly. You can also try varying the speed and elevation of the treadmill if you use one instead of keeping it the same.

Also, make sure your shoes are sturdy and give you lots of support, particularly in the arch. If your shins hurt, you should gently massage them and then ice them after you work out.

BOTTOM LINE: When I've had them they were from a sudden ramp up of exercise/mileage on hard surfaces. Rest is best if you can get it, and check into more padding or new shoes.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 09:45am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Part of the problem was the number of games I was calling. I had to fill in on several scrimmages last week so I worked about 5 days in a row, about 3 hours each time. I do not have flat feet and I am in fairly good shape. I have games 6 out of 7 days this week so I was just trying to prevent them.
Believe me, they're not going to get better by doing more games.....
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I know but I dont want to turn in games. I am a new official and I dont want a reputation of a guy who turns in games
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I find that lots of extra stretching before and after activity (even BEFORE the season/games start) help minimize them. Perhaps the greatest invention EVER is that foam roller thingie. I roll my calves over it numerous times now 2-3 times each day and it has worked wonders in preventing/reducing shin splints.

Shin splints show up from increasing your running/workload on your legs too much too quickly.

I got them pretty bad after a 4 day officiating camp last summer. I found that filling paper cups with water, freezing them, and then rubbing them on the parts that hurt helped reduce the pain. There are a couple of exercises you can do as well to help reduce them.

Calf raises and REVERSE calf raises are crucial (at least, for me). Many times, reverse calf raises are neglected, therefore the back of the calf muscle is dis-proportinatly stronger than the front of the calf muscle (that is actually what hurts in "shin splints", the front calf muscle). Whenever I train legs, I super-set calf raises with reverse calf raises. For reverse ones, I'll sit down on a bench, place a 25 or 35 pound plate on the the top of each foot, and raise my toes up with the plate on. That's 1 rep. I'll do 25-40 of these, which has helped strengthen the front of my calves tremendously and help reduce my shin splint pains. Now, I wouldn't start off with these weights, maybe just try the reverse calf raises sitting at your desk with no extra weights (that's how I started).

And again, STRECH, STRECH, STRECH!!

disclaimer....I'm not a trainer or a doctor, but these experiences have worked for me
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 09:50am
9/11 - Never Forget

And I can certainly appreciate your predicament (been there, done that). But, you have to know your body. If you continue to beat it, it could get worse and put you on the shelf for an extended period of time......maybe a combination of some rest, ice, stretching and new shoes could help.

Good luck. I'll be interested to know how your week goes.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

thanks. I got several days off over thanksgiving, so hopefully that helps. I also bought some compression socks. I have a new pair of official footwear patent shoes.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
thanks. I got several days off over thanksgiving, so hopefully that helps. I also bought some compression socks. I have a new pair of official footwear patent shoes.
Since you don't have flat feet and are in good shape, I'm sure it's just the sudden increase in activity and the fact that most likely officiating is different than other activity you've been doing.

In addition to resting when you can and stretching, I'd ice your shins every night after games and, while you need to be a bit careful in how much you take, a couple ibuprofen before the games this week may help keep the inflammation down.

Good luck!
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Shin splints

I am very familiar with this predicament. My daughter used to get severe shin splints and I took her to a sports doctor and then PT. This did nothing. From what I encountered, they do not understand the issue. For all leg issues "you have weak calves" seems to be their only reply. I finally invested $25 which I figured would be wasted and found the 'cure'. I had already spent around $250 for special doctor visit and Physical Therapy co-pays so what I thought would be another $25 wasted was not a big deal in comparison.

Go to shin splint cure and shinsplints treatment at home This REALLY works!!!

You should get relief and feel better right away after reading and acting upon the material but I found that I got better at the massage technique as time went on.

I know I sound like an ad but this really worked for my daughter and nothing else did. Feel free to IM me if you have questions.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

After talking to a few HS trainers about how they treat students, I was told a majority of them use athletic tape around the shin. After experiencing off and on bouts over the years I had to give this a try. What I found that works for me is to take an ace bandage (2" x 2yds ?) start at the ankle and wrap tightly (not tight enough to cut off the circulation) half way up my shin and down, ending at the ankle. Throw on two pair of socks, my shoes already have the gel inserts and I'm ready to go. I don't want to jinx myself but this, combined with my pre-game stretching has given me years of pain free games on all types of surfaces.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 06:38pm
Official & Member

In addition to stretching, I have found that arch-support inserts in my shoes help. I think I just bought a $16 pair of Dr. Scholl's. Don't really know what the science behind it is, but it seems to help.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Mon Dec 01, 2008 at 06:39pm. Reason: spelling
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

What has worked for me -- walk around the house on your heels for about 30 seconds, then on your toes for about 30 seconds. Repeat twice. Do this in the am and the pm.

Also, before the game -- do the calf stretch where you stand on a stair and lower your heel. Then raise the heel (stand on your toes).
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What has worked for me -- walk around the house on your heels for about 30 seconds, then on your toes for about 30 seconds. Repeat twice. Do this in the am and the pm.

Also, before the game -- do the calf stretch where you stand on a stair and lower your heel. Then raise the heel (stand on your toes).
Bob took the words right out of my mouth. These exercises strengthen and stretch the little muscles that hold the bones together in the leg (the ones that get sore when you're suddenly increasing the running amount). When you run, you are extending and then flexing your foot much more dramatically than when you walk. THe shin muscles are the flexors, and must be pulled much more quickly when you run, so increasing your running puts a real strain on them. The exercises Bob recommends helps work up to this activity more gradually.