Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Unhappy

hey all!

been a while since i've been on the Forum. glad to be back.

anyway, i've had shin splints really bad and found on this forum Dynastep Sport inserts to fix it. I love them, but after a couple of seasons, they've worn out and am having the pain again. Unfortunately, dr. scholls discontinued that line. I can't keep Advil-ing it up before games, so was wondering if anyone is having the same prob and how you're dealing with it?

Thanks.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know how much it will help you during the game, but try this for after games:

Take dixie cups and fill them with water and put them in your freezer. After games, peel the top of the dixie cup off and rub your shins down with the ice for about 20 minutes on each leg.

Other than that.....I dunno
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Have you ever seen runners leaning against a wall with their hands on the wall and it looks like they are trying to push the wall down? Do this stretch each day for a few days and your shin splints will be gone. You will be stretching the calve (the muscle that is the other side of your shins). Do gentle stretching (do not hurt yourself).

Money back guarantee that this will work.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Try your local New Balance store, or a running store if you have one close by. I have been using NB Motion Control inserts in every pair of shoes I own to control Plantar Faciitis and they work much better than the custom orthotics I paid big $ for from my podiatrist.

They have cushion and multisport insoles as well. A specialtiy running store will have a lot of experience helping customers solve shin splints.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Here's an exercise that will prevent shin splints in the first place. I don't know if it helps after you already have them.

Walk ten steps on toes only, then ten steps on heels only, then ten on toes only, then ten on heels only, and so forth.
You can do this just around the house, or on a track or treadmill. It strengthens the shin muscles so that they can handle all the sprinting you do in a ball game. The stretches that were recommended should also be done, but by themselves won't prevent shin splints. The heel-walks actually strengthen the shin muscles so that they aren't strained when you sprint.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Go one step farther than the Dr. Scholls remedy. Go to a store/clinic that specializes in orthapaedic insoles. They usually have a name like the "Good Feet Store" or something with ortho in the name. They can either make you some custom insoles after a PT takes a look at you or they can recommend one of their standard options. I get a new set of custom ones made about every two years. This has eliminated all of the nagging knee, ankle and shin splint pain. Last time they cost about $65.00 but it was the best money I have ever spent on officiting equip. I use them in football and basketball.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

There are MUCH better inserts than DS. The fact that you had good results from them likely says you will have better results from others.

I don't have SS, but I use Sof Sole insoles. I bought them at a running store, but I saw them a couple of weeks ago at The Sports Authority. They are also all over the web. They come in different styles for your foot type. I'd still recommend going to a running store to get fit for them. Those people know shoes better than anyone.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

When not wearing stripes I work as a physical therapist- I'm not a huge fan of over the net evaluation and treatment, but here are a few things I hope will be helpful.

Shin splints are basically an overuse injury to the muscles on the front of your shin that help control the impact of your foot hitting the ground when you are running.

They tend to act a lot like plantar fasciitis in that they bother you at the beginning of the season when you start doing a lot of running, etc. that you weren't doing previously.

Good shoes are a nice start, and if you pronate and/or have bad arches make sure you buy a good pair of shoes that will correct/support that or get some good insoles (Superfeet, Spenco, etc. are some good names to look for in off the shelf inserts). If you have no idea what pronation means and are having these problems, get yourself to a reputable shoe store and get some help finding the right pair of shoes.

When they first show up: remember rest, ice, gentle stretching, and anti-inflammatories can be helpful. The ice massage idea quoted above is great.

If they become chronic little buggers, continue the above things and try some gentle strengthening exercises- using a big rubber band or bicycle innertube and pulling your toes up toward your nose against light resistance 20-30 times until the muscle on the front of your shin get tired can be helpful as well.

If you are susceptible to this sort of thing, the best treatment is prevention- make sure you have good shoes, are in good shape, and have done some strengthening before the season begins.

Hope this helps!

Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

I will just ad that support hose also help. Futuro makes black dress support socks. You can find them at CVS, Walgreens or on the web. I wore a couple of pairs when I first had shin splints. I still wear one pair even though I no longer have the problem.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref_in_Rehab
When not wearing stripes I work as a physical therapist- I'm not a huge fan of over the net evaluation and treatment, but here are a few things I hope will be helpful.

Shin splints are basically an overuse injury to the muscles on the front of your shin that help control the impact of your foot hitting the ground when you are running.

They tend to act a lot like plantar fasciitis in that they bother you at the beginning of the season when you start doing a lot of running, etc. that you weren't doing previously.

Good shoes are a nice start, and if you pronate and/or have bad arches make sure you buy a good pair of shoes that will correct/support that or get some good insoles (Superfeet, Spenco, etc. are some good names to look for in off the shelf inserts). If you have no idea what pronation means and are having these problems, get yourself to a reputable shoe store and get some help finding the right pair of shoes.

When they first show up: remember rest, ice, gentle stretching, and anti-inflammatories can be helpful. The ice massage idea quoted above is great.

If they become chronic little buggers, continue the above things and try some gentle strengthening exercises- using a big rubber band or bicycle innertube and pulling your toes up toward your nose against light resistance 20-30 times until the muscle on the front of your shin get tired can be helpful as well.

If you are susceptible to this sort of thing, the best treatment is prevention- make sure you have good shoes, are in good shape, and have done some strengthening before the season begins.

Hope this helps!

The "strengthening" is where the exercises I recommend comes in. It is like weight-lifting for the shin muscles, and worked great for me. of course, ice, ib, and stretches help, too, but for permanent cure, I strongly recommend these exercises for a few weeks before the season starts.