The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 12:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes2255 View Post
Quick question that is similar to this one. At any point during the game, if the defensive team that just made the basket grabs the ball out of the basket and tosses it to me, I think that requires a delay of game? Any objections?
I'm only calling this if they grab it away from the new offense. If the offense isn't close to it, then I'll just have a talk with the new defensive team; reminding them to leave it alone.

If, however, A1 is about to pick it up and start the throwin when B1 grabs it and throws it to me, I might have a D.O.G.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 01:11pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Right. Especially if the ball comes right through the net to the (former) offensive player, and ther are no defensive players quite ready to get the ball for a throw-in.

The play happens to me a couple of times a season and not once have I thought about a delay warning (in this type of play).
Completely agree. You can usually tell their intent. Most of the time they grab the ball and toss it to you as if they were like "here ya go" and turn around and run to the other end.

Like Bob, I've never thought of calling a delay in this type of situation.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Yes. I guess I just meant in a situation that the new offensive player was going for the ball and the defensive player grabbed it and threw it to me. Just enough time spent to set up a full court press?

I too, would just have a conversation with the offender next dead ball.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Team A is down 4 points with less than 15 seconds on the game clock. A2 scores on a 3 point try... Team A is now down by 1. Team B delays in picking up the ball, the official begins his 5 second count. B1 sees the count, picks up the ball & tosses it to the official.
What would you do?

Any casebook play provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I don't believe you can just let the ball fly by when all the kid is wanting to do is check the ball to you. It makes you look like an idiot for not catching it, unless of course it is thrown toward the inbounds part of the court which would unlikely if you are where you are supposed to be (on the baseline).

I would treat this like a player in the lane for 2 1/2 seconds and is thrown the ball. You delay the count if he is making a move to the basket. if he passes off then you continue the count.

I would catch the ball throw it to the player and continue the count.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes2255 View Post
Quick question that is similar to this one. At any point during the game, if the defensive team that just made the basket grabs the ball out of the basket and tosses it to me, I think that requires a delay of game? Any objections?
Just think to yourself, does the play, in fact, DELAY the game?

If the former offensive player grabs the ball with no one around it to throw it in and the new offensive team is not trying to push the ball i will not call it. If the player grabs it and throws it to me while the new offensive player was trying to grab the ball as well, then i have a Delay of game. Its all situational.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 07:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
I don't believe you can just let the ball fly by when all the kid is wanting to do is check the ball to you. It makes you look like an idiot for not catching it, unless of course it is thrown toward the inbounds part of the court which would unlikely if you are where you are supposed to be (on the baseline).

I would treat this like a player in the lane for 2 1/2 seconds and is thrown the ball. You delay the count if he is making a move to the basket. if he passes off then you continue the count.

I would catch the ball throw it to the player and continue the count.
This is a play where the new inbounder is just staring at the ball, sees the official is counting, then picks it up and throws it towards the official. I'm not delaying anything.

At the end of a game, there's no way the player is throwing it to the official in my game. Either they've already tried it and I've dealt with it, or they've been doing it correctly all game and it's even more obvious that this is an attempt to cheat the system.

Best case scenario, I stop the clock and re-administer the throwin.

If I'm quick enough, I move and let it fly. B1 knows better.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This is a play where the new inbounder is just staring at the ball, sees the official is counting, then picks it up and throws it towards the official. I'm not delaying anything.

At the end of a game, there's no way the player is throwing it to the official in my game. Either they've already tried it and I've dealt with it, or they've been doing it correctly all game and it's even more obvious that this is an attempt to cheat the system.

Best case scenario, I stop the clock and re-administer the throwin.

If I'm quick enough, I move and let it fly. B1 knows better.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]I'm ok with this, it shows some common sense to the game.[/COLOR]

if you do this, you will just look like a fool especially when there is no doubt that the player is throwing it to you. Everybody will think "what the hell is he doing, the player is just trying to toss him the ball, what an idiot". I know you might not care about that but it makes the game look better when you don't look like you are trying to be a punk referee, trying to "teach the kid a lesson". Furthermore, what is less advantageous, you killing the play and re-administering or just catching and slapping the ball quickly to the player and continuing your count? The thought of just letting the ball fly by as it is knowingly being thrown to you baffles me????
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

That's because it doesn't fit within your "pro philosophy."

The fool is the kid who is throwing the ball to the official when he should be making a throw-in. The official is NOT to handle the ball following a made goal. The kid is clearly trying to waste time. If you permit that, then you are contributing to the unfairness.

I'm with Snaqwells on this one.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That's because it doesn't fit within your "pro philosophy."

The fool is the kid who is throwing the ball to the official when he should be making a throw-in. The official is NOT to handle the ball following a made goal. The kid is clearly trying to waste time. If you permit that, then you are contributing to the unfairness.

I'm with Snaqwells on this one.
no pro philosophy to it really.... just seems like an unprofessional way to handle the situation by showing up a KID or I would say make him look clueless but I would have to say it makes the official look more clueless than anything. I've never even seen a college official, or a HS official for that matter decline to catch and throw the ball back to the player, granted i'm a lot younger than you both so if you have seen it please let me know, besides you doing it yourself of course.

I don't really see much of an advantage gained here by doing this either and I don't believe gaining extra time to throw the ball in is relevant.

-It doesn't help the new offensive team if the new defensive team is pressing. It just gives the defense a chance to better set up their defensive press.

-If the defense isn't pressing... then what does it matter if he tosses it to you. He won't actually need that full extra 2 seconds it takes for him to toss the ball to you and you toss it right back.

But if you fill it is that pertinent, give the OFFENSIVE TEAM a Delay of Game. Weird and unusual... but if you think it is dead set necessary... by all means.

I've re-read this several times and if it comes off condescending i apologize as that is not my intent. just trying to get my point firmly placed.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 10:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Please Tone It Down ...

btaylor64: Why do you keep yelling out your signature? We can all hear you when you use your indoor voice.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
btaylor64: Why do you keep yelling out your signature? We can all hear you when you use your indoor voice.

ok i fixed it and that as small as it is going to get. its a quote that referees should live by!!!
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 11:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Peace And Quiet, Again ...

Quote:
ok i fixed it and that as small as it is going to get. its a quote that referees should live by!!!
Thanks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't really see much of an advantage gained here by doing this either and I don't believe gaining extra time to throw the ball in is relevant.

-If the defense isn't pressing... then what does it matter if he tosses it to you. He won't actually need that full extra 2 seconds it takes for him to toss the ball to you and you toss it right back.
Perhaps you didn't read the OP closely enough. Allow me to call your attention to why those couple of seconds are important here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Team A is down 4 points with less than 15 seconds on the game clock. A2 scores on a 3 point try... Team A is now down by 1.
Quote:
But if you fill it is that pertinent, give the OFFENSIVE TEAM a Delay of Game. Weird and unusual... but if you think it is dead set necessary... by all means.
This is where your lack of knowledge of the NFHS rules hurts you. There is no provision allowing a delay of game warning in this situation. Not weird or unusual, just plain wrong.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 11:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
no pro philosophy to it really.... just seems like an unprofessional way to handle the situation by showing up a KID or I would say make him look clueless but I would have to say it makes the official look more clueless than anything. I've never even seen a college official, or a HS official for that matter decline to catch and throw the ball back to the player, granted i'm a lot younger than you both so if you have seen it please let me know, besides you doing it yourself of course.

-It doesn't help the new offensive team if the new defensive team is pressing. It just gives the defense a chance to better set up their defensive press.

I've re-read this several times and if it comes off condescending i apologize as that is not my intent. just trying to get my point firmly placed.
It's obvious in this case why the player threw the ball to the official. To get a new 5 second count, and eat more time off the clock, thus allowing the the other team less opportunity to get the ball back and score. How do you not see this as an advantage; it's clearly an advantage not intended by the rules.

Your point is clear. I think you're wrong and I think you're missing the obvious advantage B1 is looking for in the OP.

BTW, I'm amending my 2nd option. Instead of bouncing it back to him, I might let it hit me and bounce straight down. The ref is part of the court. If I'm standing in bounds, it's a throwin and he better not touch it next.

B1 is an idiot on this play. No one will think I'm the idiot; everyone will know what the player was trying to do. How many times a season do you have a new offensive player throw you the ball after a made bucket?

I only see it in middle school and below; never at even the JV level. It's a bush league move, and I'm not going to be a party to it. If I do as you suggest and "suspend" my count, or worse, I'll look like a fool for falling for his little trick and giving them an extra 3 seconds (or more) to eat the clock up.

And please stop suggesting people give DOG warnings that are clearly not called for in the rules. The only good thing about that suggestion is that it would stop the clock, but you don't need a DOG warning for that.
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's obvious in this case why the player threw the ball to the official. To get a new 5 second count, and eat more time off the clock, thus allowing the the other team less opportunity to get the ball back and score. How do you not see this as an advantage; it's clearly an advantage not intended by the rules.

Your point is clear. I think you're wrong and I think you're missing the obvious advantage B1 is looking for in the OP.

BTW, I'm amending my 2nd option. Instead of bouncing it back to him, I might let it hit me and bounce straight down. The ref is part of the court. If I'm standing in bounds, it's a throwin and he better not touch it next.

B1 is an idiot on this play. No one will think I'm the idiot; everyone will know what the player was trying to do. How many times a season do you have a new offensive player throw you the ball after a made bucket?

I only see it in middle school and below; never at even the JV level. It's a bush league move, and I'm not going to be a party to it. If I do as you suggest and "suspend" my count, or worse, I'll look like a fool for falling for his little trick and giving them an extra 3 seconds (or more) to eat the clock up.

And please stop suggesting people give DOG warnings that are clearly not called for in the rules. The only good thing about that suggestion is that it would stop the clock, but you don't need a DOG warning for that.