Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Wrong again, Mr. Rules Guru.
To be fair, the ball might be dead....if the player grabbed the ball as it fell through the net and tossed it to the official before stepping OOB for the throwin and in such a way (quickly) such that the official didn't yet consider it to be at the thrower's disposal.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 10:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dead Or Alive ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
To be fair, the ball might be dead....if the player grabbed the ball as it fell through the net and tossed it to the official before stepping OOB for the throwin and in such a way (quickly) such that the official didn't yet consider it to be at the thrower's disposal.
I believe that if the player has it in his hands, and has the ball under his control, it's a live ball, even if the player is still inbounds, before going out of bounds, but I can be easily convinced otherwise, in other words, I wouldn't bet my house on it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Camron,
The OP was very clear and specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Team A is down 4 points with less than 15 seconds on the game clock. A2 scores on a 3 point try... Team A is now down by 1. Team B delays in picking up the ball, the official begins his 5 second count. B1 sees the count, picks up the ball & tosses it to the official.
What would you do?

Any casebook play provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Do you think that the official didn't consider it to be at the disposal?
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I believe that if the player has it in his hands, and has the ball under his control, it's a live ball, even if the player is still inbounds, before going out of bounds, but I can be easily convinced otherwise, in other words, I wouldn't bet my house on it.
Consider yourself convinced otherwise.

2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 9: With less than one minute to play in the fourth quarter, Team A scores a field goal to tie the game. B1, standing under the basket after the score, secures the ball and begins heading to the end line for the ensuing throw-in. A1 requests and is granted a time-out. RULING: Legal procedure. Team A may request and be granted a time-out until the ensuing throw-in begins. The throw-in does not begin until B1 has the ball at his/her disposal and the official has begun the five-second count.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 11:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
No, as Nevada points out, in the OP, the ball was clearly live. B1 clearly looked at the official and saw the count, then tossed it to the official.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wrong again, Mr. Rules Guru.
I apologize for mispeaking, but it doesn't escape the point in what you are doing.

Someone said something about not going to catch the ball and start the count OVER. I never said start the count over i just said catch it and/or quickly bat it back to the player and CONTINUE the count from where you were. That, to me, is the best possible scenario. To do this shouldn't take any more than 1 sec.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 12:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

Dead Or Alive ???

Quote:
2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations SITUATION 9: With less than one minute to play in the fourth quarter, Team A scores a field goal to tie the game. B1, standing under the basket after the score, secures the ball and begins heading to the end line for the ensuing throw-in. A1 requests and is granted a time-out. RULING:Legal procedure. Team A may request and be granted a time-out until the ensuing throw-in begins. The throw-in does not begin until B1 has the ball at his/her disposal and the official has begun the five-second count.
Good citation. Thank God I didn't bet my house on this.

But I still have some questions about this. Isn't it true that either team can call a time out when the ball is dead? And, doesn't the ball become live when it is at the disposal of B1? And, further, don't we start our five second count, by rule, when the ball is at the disposal of A1? In an extreme example, let's say that B1 doesn't pick up the ball that just went through the basket, possibly delaying to set up a press break, and he's waiting for his guards to get into position. Can't we say that the ball is at B1's disposal at that time, and start the count as he stands there looking at the ball that's on the floor?

In other words, does the actual rule state that Team A may request and be granted a time-out until the ensuing throw-in begins, or, as I believe, that Team A may request and be granted a time-out during the dead ball period immediately after a goal?

And another question that this brings to mind: By rule, do we start our count when the ball is at the disposal of A1, as I believe, or do we start our count when A1 steps out of bounds?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 17, 2008 at 12:45am.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In other words, does the actual rule state that Team A may request and be granted a time-out until the ensuing throw-in begins, or, as I believe, that Team A may request and be granted a time-out during the dead ball period immediately after a goal?
Either team may be granted a timeout during a deadball situation. Once the ball goes through the hoop, the ball is immediately dead until the ball is at the disposal of the thrower.

Quote:
And another question that this brings to mind: By rule, do we start our count when the ball is at the disposal of A1, as I believe, or do we start our count when A1 steps out of bounds?
The count should start once the ball is at the disposal of the thrower. If they are horsing around (ie stalling), the count can definitely be started before the thrower has the ball out of bounds. The only restriction is that it must be at the disposal of the thrower to start. This concept is absolutely at the mercy of the official's judgment.

-Josh
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 07:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
I apologize for mispeaking, but it doesn't escape the point in what you are doing.

Someone said something about not going to catch the ball and start the count OVER. I never said start the count over i just said catch it and/or quickly bat it back to the player and CONTINUE the count from where you were. That, to me, is the best possible scenario. To do this shouldn't take any more than 1 sec.
You're right, you didn't say start the count over. I misspoke. You said to suspend it. Again, there's no "hole" in the rules here, but by your admission you would create one.

I have no problem with flipping it back to him; but I personally wouldn't hurry, nor would I suspend the count. Even suspending the count gives the new offense some of the illegal advantage they are seeking.

Quote:
I would treat this like a player in the lane for 2 1/2 seconds and is thrown the ball. You delay the count if he is making a move to the basket. if he passes off then you continue the count.

I would catch the ball throw it to the player and continue the count.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You can look up the rule wording yourself, but both of your options above mean the same thing.

Quote:
We start our count when the ball is at the disposal of the inbounding team -- in a practiacl sense it's when they have the ball OOB facing the court or could reasonably be expected to do so.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 08:47am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I've just been sitting back here, reading others' posts, not wanting to take a stand on this obviously controversial, yet with little specific rule, or case situation, backing, issue, but I've decided to give it a shot.
Me, too.

Quote:
I've had many, many, youth level games, where, especially at the beginning of the season, a confused player, after a made basket, will toss it to the official. I've just tossed it back. So, instinctively, I would probably do the same here.

That's my story, short and simple, and I'm sticking to it
Me, too.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 08:53am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
i believe the fault for this time problem is placed on the NFHS. They should allow for the clock to stop under 1 min. in the last period
I personally do not like changing the rules of the game, based on the amount of time in the game. Why should we change the game simply because we're under a minute? Is the 5 seconds between 00:59 and 00:54 of the fourth quarter any more valuable than the 5 seconds between 1:59 and 1:54; or than the last 5 seconds of the 2nd quarter?

There was a suggestion for a rule change in the last year or two about making the second foul in the last 2 minutes of the game automatically a 1-and-1, even if it was only the 3rd team foul of the half. I understand the rationale (the trailing team is just going to keep fouling until they hit 7 anyway), but I basically dislike changing the rules of the game based solely on the time remaining. It seems too arbitrary to me.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Camron,
The OP was very clear and specific.

Do you think that the official didn't consider it to be at the disposal?
Was not commenting specifically on the OP...just on the possible inference that the ball couldn't, in general, be dead.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 05:08pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Team A is down 4 points with less than 15 seconds on the game clock. A2 scores on a 3 point try... Team A is now down by 1. Team B delays in picking up the ball, the official begins his 5 second count. B1 sees the count, picks up the ball & tosses it to the official.
What would you do?

Any casebook play provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

WWMD (What Would MTD, Sr. Do)? duck

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 08:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
WWMD (What Would MTD, Sr. Do)? duck

MTD, Sr.