The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 18, 2003, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Ok, had a pretty intense game tonight with a strange situation that I think I got right but want your opinion.
Pitcher on the rubber, as she brings her hands together the batter holds up hand asking for time and steps out of the box.....The pitcher had seperated her hands just as the batter stepped out of the box and brought her hands back together and then delivered the pitch.
I had signaled delayed dead ball on the double pump of the hands but then called a strike on the batter after the pitch was delivered.
In my judgement, the batter's actions precipitated the illegal pitch, thus I ruled a strike.
If the pitcher had not delivered I would have had a "no pitch" as did happen twice in the same game.

You opinions please.
Old Sat Apr 19, 2003, 05:43am
Official Forum Member

I think I would have viewed it as the batter stepping out of the box caused the pitcher to deliver an illegal pitch and thus called time/no pitch as soon as it became illegal.
Old Sat Apr 19, 2003, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
I think I would have viewed it as the batter stepping out of the box caused the pitcher to deliver an illegal pitch and thus called time/no pitch as soon as it became illegal.

But can you give a NFHS (Fed) ruling that would have allowed you to do this?
I haven't got my rule book handy, its in the office but I am pretty sure I got it right.

I need some rule references
Old Sat Apr 19, 2003, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Timing is a factor in this case, if the batter was granted time (umpire option) before leaving the box.

7-3-1-effect-2: "If the pitcher stops or hesitates in her delivery as a result of the batter stepping out of the box or holding up her hand to request time, it shall not be an illegal pitch. However, if the batter steps out of the box or holds up her hand to request time and the pitcher legally delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains alive. ... "

So in this case, if the umpire judges that the illegal motion ("brought her hands back together and then delivered the pitch") was caused by the batter, it's not an illegal pitch. It would be a strike only if the ball is delivered legally. Of course, if time was granted before the pitcher's motion, it's just a no-pitch.