View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's obvious in this case why the player threw the ball to the official. To get a new 5 second count, and eat more time off the clock, thus allowing the the other team less opportunity to get the ball back and score. How do you not see this as an advantage; it's clearly an advantage not intended by the rules.

Your point is clear. I think you're wrong and I think you're missing the obvious advantage B1 is looking for in the OP.

BTW, I'm amending my 2nd option. Instead of bouncing it back to him, I might let it hit me and bounce straight down. The ref is part of the court. If I'm standing in bounds, it's a throwin and he better not touch it next.

B1 is an idiot on this play. No one will think I'm the idiot; everyone will know what the player was trying to do. How many times a season do you have a new offensive player throw you the ball after a made bucket?

I only see it in middle school and below; never at even the JV level. It's a bush league move, and I'm not going to be a party to it. If I do as you suggest and "suspend" my count, or worse, I'll look like a fool for falling for his little trick and giving them an extra 3 seconds (or more) to eat the clock up.

And please stop suggesting people give DOG warnings that are clearly not called for in the rules. The only good thing about that suggestion is that it would stop the clock, but you don't need a DOG warning for that.