The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Backcourt or not?

I think I remember reading about this situation in the past on this board, but actually had it happen last night. I am trail, A1 bringing the ball up from BC and for whatever reason decides to start going East/West at the point where he is straddling the HC line, ball being dribbled in the FC. B1 reaches in and bats the ball just a foot or so away from A1. A1 then touches the ball with his back foot still in the backcourt. I have a violation since I have 1) team control and 2) a ball in the frontcourt once the ball was batted away 3) A1 first to touch the ball while in the BC - correct? I believe I was, but this is really a bang-bang type of play. It is beyond me why players play with fire along the HC line makes it a difficult situation to officiate. Any tips on what to focus on here to make this play "slow down"? You're watching for contact on the dribbler, ensuring that he maintains his dribble, watching to see when FC status is established...just a lot going on here..
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 10:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Was the ball batted into the FC or the BC?
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Was the ball batted into the FC or the BC?
The ball was batted in the FC, but when A1 resumed control of it he still had his back foot in the BC.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
I think I remember reading about this situation in the past on this board, but actually had it happen last night. I am trail, A1 bringing the ball up from BC and for whatever reason decides to start going East/West at the point where he is straddling the HC line, ball being dribbled in the FC. B1 reaches in and bats the ball just a foot or so away from A1. A1 then touches the ball with his back foot still in the backcourt. I have a violation since I have 1) team control and 2) a ball in the frontcourt once the ball was batted away 3) A1 first to touch the ball while in the BC - correct? I believe I was, but this is really a bang-bang type of play. It is beyond me why players play with fire along the HC line makes it a difficult situation to officiate. Any tips on what to focus on here to make this play "slow down"? You're watching for contact on the dribbler, ensuring that he maintains his dribble, watching to see when FC status is established...just a lot going on here..
You mean other than the reaching foul.......??

Hmmm...I would stab at it as a BC violation if he simply picked it up. His dribble ended on the bat, therefore ending the 3 point rule.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
You mean other than the reaching foul.......??

Hmmm...I would stab at it as a BC violation if he simply picked it up. His dribble ended on the bat, therefore ending the 3 point rule.

Yes the reaching foul that I missed of course! He did not pick it up, he essentially re-established a dribble, but I believe the result is the same...
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes the reaching foul that I missed of course! He did not pick it up, he essentially re-established a dribble, but I believe the result is the same...

I'm thinking out loud here.
  • The ball does not have FC status as long as A1 is dribbling/straddling along the division line.
  • The dribble ends when B1 bats the ball. Therefore the FC/BC dribble restrictions above are now gone.
  • Ball is now in FC per the bat, A1 is still straddling division line, team control is still with team A, therefore A1 has BC status.
  • A1 touches, pickups, dribbles, doesn't matter...violation.
Did I get that???
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
  • The ball does not have FC status as long as A1 is dribbling/straddling along the division line.
  • The dribble ends when B1 bats the ball. Therefore the FC/BC dribble restrictions above are now gone.
  • Ball is now in FC per the bat, A1 is still straddling division line, team control is still with team A, therefore A1 has BC status.
Did I get that???

My thought process exactly...like I said though a lot to process in that situation, and one that you rarely get to practice...
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did I get that???
No. No violation.

Lets break down the rule...
Rule 9-1...A player shall not be the first to thouch the ball
Check. They were first.
after it has been in team control in the frontcourt,
Check. Team A had team control and the ball gained FC status.
if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.
Nope.

Who was the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt BEFORE it went to the backcourt? B1. Therefore, no violation.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No. No violation.

Check. They were first.
if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.
Nope.

Who was the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt BEFORE it went to the backcourt? B1. Therefore, no violation.
Uh, I thought Slow Whistle said it did not go INTO the Backcourt?
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No. No violation.

Check. They were first.
Nope.

But wouldn't this fall under the interp from last year where if A1 is standing in the BC, ball has been in A's control in the FC, then B1 bats it to the backcourt and A1 catches it before it hits the ground, then you have BC on A? Same situation isn't it? B is the last t touch it, but A gave the ball BC status?
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 12:27pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
But wouldn't this fall under the interp from last year where if A1 is standing in the BC, ball has been in A's control in the FC, then B1 bats it to the backcourt and A1 catches it before it hits the ground, then you have BC on A? Same situation isn't it? B is the last t touch it, but A gave the ball BC status?
It would be pretty much the same, but that interp was declared to be officially bogus, here, if nowhere else. Was that officially resolved for the good of the rest of the world, somebody?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
It would be pretty much the same, but that interp was declared to be officially bogus, here, if nowhere else. Was that officially resolved for the good of the rest of the world, somebody?
I do remember the scorn heaped on that interp in this forum, but don't recall it ever being rescinded officially?
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

disagree with you Cameron

the way the play is described - since the ball was batted into the front court it is now in the front court and the dribbler is in contact with the backcourt when he picks up the ball - tough call to make but I think you have to.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 12:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I do remember the scorn heaped on that interp in this forum, but don't recall it ever being rescinded officially?
I know it's been rescinded in my book. I won't be calling that violation any time soon.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think it made it to this year's case book.

So, it raises the old (unresolved) question: Is an interp that doesn't make it to the case book still valid? Are cases that are removed without comment still valid?