The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Laker D Send a message via Yahoo to Laker D
Hello all.. I've been refereeing rec leagues, church leagues, YMCA leagues for 20 years.... and I'm also still playing the game actively... My question is as follows...

In Indiana HS basketball rules.. player A in the frontcourt passes the ball to player B who is also in the frontcourt, but jumps towards the backcourt, and catches the ball in the air, and lands in the backcourt. It is my opinion that this is a backcourt violation. Opinions ? Rules ?

Thanks in advance...

Laker D
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

If he jumps from the frontcourt, catches the ball while airborne, and then lands in the backcourt, it is a violation. That is unless he was passed the ball directly from a throw-in by a teammate.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Laker D
Hello all.. I've been refereeing rec leagues, church leagues, YMCA leagues for 20 years.... and I'm also still playing the game actively... My question is as follows...

In Indiana HS basketball rules.. player A in the frontcourt passes the ball to player B who is also in the frontcourt, but jumps towards the backcourt, and catches the ball in the air, and lands in the backcourt. It is my opinion that this is a backcourt violation. Opinions ? Rules ?

Thanks in advance...

Laker D
Not a violation. 9-9-ex.1 During a throw in.

Even though team control was established by player B, the exception is made during a jump ball or a throw in for a player to land before front court status is obtained.

If the ball is inbounds and in control of player A you have a violation.

[Edited by blindzebra on Oct 23rd, 2004 at 12:14 AM]
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

Thanks in advance...

Laker D
Not a violation. 9-9-ex.1

Even though team control was established by player B, the exception is made during a jump ball or a throw in for a player to land before front court status is obtained.
Nah, nah, Beat ya to it! And you didn't FTFQ!
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

I need to add specifics... player B was in the air when he caught the ball... he never established possession in the frontcourt... just making sure...
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Jeez.. after reading my explanation I suck...

Player A was throwing in from out of bounds to player B, who jumps in the air from the frontcourt, catches the ball, then lands in the backcourt. Sorry for the confusion...

LD
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I need to add specifics... player B was in the air when he caught the ball... he never established possession in the frontcourt... just making sure...
If it's not a throw in it does not matter if B was in the front court, jumped and landed in the BC, or jumped from the BC and caught the ball then landed in the FC; it's a violation in both cases.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Player A was throwing in from out of bounds to player B, who jumps in the air from the frontcourt, catches the ball, then lands in the backcourt. Sorry for the confusion...

LD
Not a violation.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

LD
Not a violation.
Oh, sure. Go back and change it so that bz is right. Thanks a lot.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Player A was throwing in from out of bounds to player B, who jumps in the air from the frontcourt, catches the ball, then lands in the backcourt. Sorry for the confusion..
Legal play on a throw-in. There is no team control until the player catches the ball. However, the rule allows him to land in the BC without violating in this sitch.
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Quote:
If it's not a throw in it does not matter if B was in the front court, jumped and landed in the BC, or jumped from the BC and caught the ball then landed in the FC; it's a violation in both cases.
Of course it matters! In the latter case, it's a violation when the ball is caught. In the first case, it's not a violation until he lands.

(Actually, now that I think a little more, this can actually make a difference. Suppose that B, while in the air, touch passes the ball to teammate C, who is standing in the front court. No violation if B jumps from the frontcourt, violation if B jumps from the backcourt.)
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
Quote:
Of course it matters! In the latter case, it's a violation when the ball is caught. In the first case, it's not a violation until he lands.

(Actually, now that I think a little more, this can actually make a difference. Suppose that B, while in the air, touch passes the ball to teammate C, who is standing in the front court. No violation if B jumps from the frontcourt, violation if B jumps from the backcourt.)
? My situations dealt with catching in the air going from FC to BC and BC to FC during a non-throw in, and both were 100% correct as written.

Now your pass from player B to player C is correct, but it has no baring on a player that jumped, caught and then landed which is what I said.
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Just checking... so everyone agrees that this is NOT a violation on a throw in ? Is that a recent rule change ?
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just checking... so everyone agrees that this is NOT a violation on a throw in ? Is that a recent rule change ?
Yes. No.

Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Yes. No.

It was a change, but not very recent...maybe 7-9 years ago.