The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Hand checking

In this month’s issue of Referee Magazine, I noticed an article “Hand checking: Get RID of it”. Regarding the high school level the article stated “Defenders are not permitted to have hands on the dribbler or offensive players away from the ball.”
My question pertains to advice I have been given from some experienced officials that I should only call a foul if the defensive player is “gaining an advantage” from the hand check. Since the term “gaining an advantage” is defined differently from one official to the next, how do you handle hand checking, so that I can make correct calls this year regarding this subject?
Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Hot Stove

We are teaching and emphasizing that the defender is allowed one "hot stove" touch on the ball handler. After that it is a hand check foul. Although a hand check may not necessarily create an advantage, it is a point of emphasize again this year in an effort to eliminate it.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 11:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

This is a move that sometimes creates an advantage that is hard to determine.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 11:38am
certified Hot Mom tester

Try to think of the same philosophy that pertains to "Yield" signs on a public street. You didn't properly yield if you caused the other vehicle to alter it's speed and/or direction. If a hand check causes the ball handler to alter his or her speed and/or direction, it's a foul.

Of course, this is just a rule of thumb. (imagine cute thumb icon here)
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN View Post
In this month’s issue of Referee Magazine, I noticed an article “Hand checking: Get RID of it”. Regarding the high school level the article stated “Defenders are not permitted to have hands on the dribbler or offensive players away from the ball.”
My question pertains to advice I have been given from some experienced officials that I should only call a foul if the defensive player is “gaining an advantage” from the hand check. Since the term “gaining an advantage” is defined differently from one official to the next, how do you handle hand checking, so that I can make correct calls this year regarding this subject?
Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
Use the RSBQ principle which stands for Rhythm Speed Balance and Quickness. If any of these are affected then you call a foul. If the forearm is marginal or is on the players hip once he has got even with him leave it alone as he has already beat the player and has a lane to the basket. Two hands should always be called and a repetitive tactile touch should be called as well. Always recognize the difference in a hand that is used to "size" up the player and a hand that is used to affect the dribblers intended path or freedom of movement.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 11:58am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
a repetitive tactile touch should be called
"Tactile touch" seems a bit repetitive in itself. What exactly would a non-tactile touch be?
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
Always recognize the difference in a hand that is used to "size" up the player and a hand that is used to affect the dribblers intended path or freedom of movement.
Our association has been instructed differently. We have been instructed that the first "size up" is allowable, but as soon as the second "size up" happens between the same two players on the same possession, it's an easy and automatic foul.

I was told by the new D-1 official sitting next to me that this is the case in NCAA as well.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

I think the "powers that be" are of the opinion that we have allowed the principle of "advantage/disadvantage" to evolve far beyond its original intent. We have forgotten the admonition that contact which is likely to lead to rough play should always be penalized. Believing that uncalled handchecks are likely to lead to rough play, here is the advice we have been given in several clinics:

1. If the defender places his hand on the dribbler and leaves it there, it is a foul.

2. If the defender places two hands on the dribbler, it is a foul.

3. If the defender uses his hand to "re-route" the dribbler, it is a foul.

4. If the defender places a forearm on the dribbler, it is a foul.

5. If the defender uses "hot stove" touches on the dribbler, it is a foul.

We have been specifically advised that the former practice of ignoring a hand on a dribbler who is moving east/west should be discarded.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

A lot has been mentioned about hands on the ball-handler, but how strict is this point of emphasis going to be away from the ball?

E.g., if a defender has a hand on his man, just keeping a feel for him, as he also keeps an eye on the ball, is this now a foul?
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 02:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post

E.g., if a defender has a hand on his man, just keeping a feel for him, as he also keeps an eye on the ball, is this now a foul?
I have never seen it written anywhere that this should be called a foul.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

“Defenders are not permitted to have hands on the dribbler or offensive players away from the ball.”

It was written above in the OP.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 02:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've never understood the need to "size" someone up. A defender should be able to use his eyes for this purpose. It's not a blind basketball league, in spite of how poor my officiating may be.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 02:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
“Defenders are not permitted to have hands on the dribbler or offensive players away from the ball.”

It was written above in the OP.
That's a quote from Referee Magazine. Is it written the NFHS rule book?
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 02:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

All I will say is the rules for incidental contact did not get removed from the rulebook. There must be an advantage to all contact unless the POE changed something. Many will disagree, but this is why some get paid the big bucks and others do not.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 03:03pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I have never seen it written anywhere that this should be called a foul.
From an old book Rules 2001-2002
POE 4. Handchecking, Rough play
A. Hands off
  • Defenders are not permitted to have hands on the dribbler!
  • No displacement of a cutter.
  • The measuring up of an opponent (tagging) is hand-checking, is not permitted, and is a FOUL.
  • Use of a forearm, regardless of the duration of thee contact is A FOUL.
  • Hand-checking is not incidental contact; it gives a tremendous advantage to the person illegaly using their hands.
  • This applies to both offensive and defensive players.
  • Principles involved in incidental contact (Rule 4-27) apply!
Please note that the *Capitalization* and *Punctuation* is shown as written in the book.