The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

does the fact that a defensive player is making contact with his hand without any diplacement of the offensive ball handler justify a hand check call? i normally dont make this call unless i see displacement. i had a jv coach complain the whole game to us. i basically told him just because theres contact it does not justify a foul call without displacement, do you agree with this statement and how would you handle the coach in this situation. this was not a tight game his team won by 25.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 06:42pm
Never Stop Learning

In hand checking I think instead of displacement, you need to look at whether it inhibits the freedom of movement of an opponent. Sometimes some prevenitive officiating in talking to the player and telling them no hands or get your hands off is enough. If you do this and they don't comply get them for hand checking. Many times I've had the coach tell the player that he told you to get your hands off. Get the hand check early and it should solve the problem with the coach and the players for the game.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Roadking -

At summer camp they talked about hand checking and that it should be called if it impedes the offensive player in any of the following areas: speed, quickness or balance. I have found these guidelines helpful to me when watching players for hand checking.

Jack
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

i agree with not impeding the offensive player i was useing displacement kinda as a broad term. yes the defensive player was making contact but was not impeding the progress of the ball handler, during my summer camps ive been told this is not a hand check foul. just wondering how others handle the coaches in this situation other than calling a foul?
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 07:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Very simple for me.

Does the contact put the ball handler at a disadvantage? If the ball handler is directed, restricted or displaced in any way, I have a foul. If the dribbler can still do what they want to do, I do not have a foul. The most common situation where I do not have a foul if a dribbler can still get to the basket or around the defender with slight contact with the hand. I will try to let that go. It really does not take a lot of contact to cause some type of direction or displacement to have a foul.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

If I think the hand is affecting the dribbler at all, I have a call. Many times it's hard to tell if the defender is applying any pressure or just touching... but if the hand stays there for more than a dribble or two, I'm calling that one too. One thing I've noticed (and that is part of my pregame) is that this is one of those calls to make early. A handcheck or two in the first quarter generally puts a stop to it for the whole game.

Z
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 09:07pm
Administrator

B1 is directly in front of A1 and is guarding A1. A1 is either a) holding the ball, or b) dribbling the ball. Why does B1 have to put his hands on A1?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Allow the reactionary touch.

Can the dribbler move north-south (towards the hoop) or wherever (s)he is trying to get?

If so, let it go. What I see a lot is some hand contact, then dribbler gets to the FT line, and is either impeded or defender uses handcheck to steal ball - tweet. Patient whistle is key.

It really is one of those things you just have to "feel", which becomes easier as you get more experienced.

If we're backcourt with pressure, it's hands off period - anything but an incidental touch is a foul.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 09:24pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Cuz

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
B1 is directly in front of A1 and is guarding A1. A1 is either a) holding the ball, or b) dribbling the ball. Why does B1 have to put his hands on A1?

MTD, Sr.
Men --> to aggravate
Women --> to "measure"

mick
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 10:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
it should be called if it impedes the offensive player in any of the following areas: speed, quickness or balance.
Don't forget "direction".
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 10:19pm
Administrator

Re: Cuz

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

MTD, Sr.
Men --> to aggravate
Women --> to "measure"

mick

Mick:

In otherwords, there is no reason for B1 to reach out and touch A1.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roadking
does the fact that a defensive player is making contact with his hand without any diplacement of the offensive ball handler justify a hand check call? i normally dont make this call unless i see displacement. i had a jv coach complain the whole game to us. i basically told him just because theres contact it does not justify a foul call without displacement, do you agree with this statement and how would you handle the coach in this situation. this was not a tight game his team won by 25.
If they're going from east to west I generally won't call it unless there's an advantage gained. Going north and south especially driving to the basket I will call it. Doesn't take much to disrupt a scoring chance. Really no reason to have your hand on the dribblers back.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
it should be called if it impedes the offensive player in any of the following areas: speed, quickness or balance.
Don't forget "direction".
Yes, good point. Thanks Mark. Seems to me rule has changed over the last 5 years. I seem to remember 1 year ('99?)NFHS wanted us to call hand checking very tight. Am I right? Personally, I'd like to see hand checking eliminated all together. Good defense is played mostly with the feet.
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
Originally posted by roadking
If they're going from east to west I generally won't call it unless there's an advantage gained. Going north and south especially driving to the basket I will call it. Doesn't take much to disrupt a scoring chance. Really no reason to have your hand on the dribblers back.
Gordon, maybe hand checking is forcing offensive player to go east-west, i.e., change direction. Just a thought.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
SECTION 24 HANDS AND ARMS, LEGAL AND ILLEGAL USE

ART. 5 . . . It is not legal to use hands on an opponent which in any way inhibits the freedom of movement of the opponent or acts as an aid to a player in starting or stopping.

As long as it doesnt impede the players progress.