The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Question

I am starting to get mixed signals on how we are to call handchecking this year. My rule book and the state are saying zero tolerance. At the same time the local clinics given to the new officials have been teaching the old tolerance for some minor handchecking as long as no advantage is gained. I want to know are we going to have to have a meeting like they had last year for the NCAA officials in order to get veterans to increase the calls? Also how is your area planning on calling it?
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

We were told yesterday that there would be zero tolerance. But you and I both know that won't happen.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

We are being told no tolerance with a caveat (don't you love it!!!) If a defender merely touches a stationary opponent who has the ball to establish distance for defensive purposes, and there is no dribble taking place at the time of the touch, the contact is deemed incidental unless the hand remains in contact or the opponent is displaced.
Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

This weekend, Peter Webb asked us in a clinic, "if the touching doesn't give an advantage, why do it?" The dribbler doesn't get to establish "distance" by touching people. That's why we have eyes.

Old Mon Nov 05, 2001, 06:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I always think of handchecking like a "yield" traffic sign. You haven't yielded if you have caused a change in speed and/or direction of an oncoming vehicle. You haven't handchecked to the point it should be called a foul if you haven't altered the other players movement or ability to begin movement.

Of course, a push with the hand alters movement.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2001, 01:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Look at it this way.

Both the NCAA and the NF have made drastic strides to reduce rough play. And if you have happen to seen both the Women's and the Men's NCAA tapes, much of the contact is strongly encouraged to be called. So just call it the way they want it. Still make sure there is some displacement, but do not encourage defenders touching the ball carrier. It might be hard at first, but if they do not adjust, keep calling.

Peace