The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:25pm
MWI

Been getting a lot of "?", a nice way to put it, about hand checking. So how many call it "by the book" hand on FOUL.. Give me some advice.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to OldCoachNewRef
I alwasy call it when it prevents North/South movement. Hardly ever call it going East/West (unless it displaces). I asked this my first year of the more senior refs, and that's what they said.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:36pm
MABO Member

I explain to the captains during the pregame meeting that I will give one warning about handchecking then it gets called every time after. Teh reason why I give the warning is because sometimes the captains fail to notify the rest of their team about it.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Any prolonged contact (more than just a "tag-up") or any displacement, regardless of direction. Except for the completely talentless freshman girl who has no chance of influencing the play, and doesn't even realize her hand is out there. For her, the call is only when the displacement is noticeable.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MWI
Been getting a lot of "?", a nice way to put it, about hand checking. So how many call it "by the book" hand on FOUL.. Give me some advice.
What part of the book says hand=foul?

I call it if it affects the offensive player.

I don't give warnings in the pre-game conference.

Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 01:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by MWI
What part of the book says hand=foul?

I call it if it affects the offensive player.

I don't give warnings in the pre-game conference.

Amen. That means you never have to explain why you didn't call something that you warned 'em you'd be calling.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 01:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not know what by the book means either. The rules say and the POE have said that there has to be some affect on the dribbler. Simply touching is not a foul like many people think.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 02:06pm
MABO Member

No one asked what yall don't do. I agree with all comments here that when the contact affects the Play or player by displacement or limits movement it gets called.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 02:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
No one asked what yall don't do. I agree with all comments here that when the contact affects the Play or player by displacement or limits movement it gets called.
That is exactly what the question was. He wanted to know what we call. He wanted to know if we called hand checking it by the book or some other philosophy. That is paraphrasing, but that was the question.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

"HAND CHECK"

Using it to slow/move your opponent. The main factor, calling it consistent through out the game with yourself and your partner(s).
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 08:06pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I do not know what by the book means either. The rules say and the POE have said that there has to be some affect on the dribbler. Simply touching is not a foul like many people think.

Peace
ICBW, but I think there was an interpretation a few years back that said any touching of an opponent with a hand was supposed to be called as a foul.

Would be nice to see if that stance has since softened slightly.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 08:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Stat-Man
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Peace
ICBW, but I think there was an interpretation a few years back that said any touching of an opponent with a hand was supposed to be called as a foul.

I believe you're adding something that wasn't in any of the various POEs on handchecking. The POEs said that putting a hand on the dribbler was a foul. Putting a hand on an opponent without the ball could be a foul if some kind of advantage was gained. If no advantage was gained, it's just incidental contact. That's my understanding of the purpose and intent of this rule.

Rule 10-6-1 sez that contacting an opponent with your hand is legal if that contact is incidental to an attempt to play the ball also.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 14th, 2005 at 08:22 PM]
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
I explain to the captains during the pregame meeting that I will give one warning about handchecking then it gets called every time after. Teh reason why I give the warning is because sometimes the captains fail to notify the rest of their team about it.

IMO, an Official's pre-game with team captains should only be about; sportsmanship, team colors, boundary's, direction of play, unusual floor conditions, and if possible or optional, a very brief summary of this years points of emphasis that pertain to the players (intentional fouls, free throws, sporting behavior(covered in sportsmanship)etc.

Hand checking is defined by the NCAA Rules as;

MenÂ’s Hand-Checking Officiating Guidelines
Hand-checking by a player places an opponent at a disadvantage. It is a foul and must be called. In addition, hand-checking that is not curtailed can lead to rough play. To stop hand-checking, officials must address it at the beginning of the game, and fouls must be called consistently throughout the game.

Some guidelines for officials to use when officiating hand-checking:

1. When a defensive player keeps a hand or forearm on an opponent, it is a foul.
2. When a defensive player puts two hands on an opponent, it is a foul.
3. When a player continually jabs by extending his arms and placing a hand or forearm on an opponent, it is a foul.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
You're absolutely right -- you really could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The POEs said that putting a hand on the dribbler was a foul.
I'm not even sure that's right, JR. I think the POE said that placing a hand on the dribbler and leaving it there was a foul. Or repeatedly "measuring up". I don't think merely touching the dribbler was mentioned as an automatic foul.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
You're absolutely right -- you really could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The POEs said that putting a hand on the dribbler was a foul.
I'm not even sure that's right, JR. I think the POE said that placing a hand on the dribbler and leaving it there was a foul. Or repeatedly "measuring up". I don't think merely touching the dribbler was mentioned as an automatic foul.
You are correct.