The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Question Visible Count Mechanics

Looking for some opinions/guidance on showing the 10-second count (I am relatively new to basketball officiating). When I first started, I counted all 10 seconds with individual arm movements - and did the same on my 5-second inbounds count. Then had a supervisor tell me that it looks stupid with my arm moving back and forth that fast and to switch to an out (1 second) and in (1 second) motion.

I've tried doing that but it feels strange - especially on the 5-second. Yet when I go back to my old method and try not to move fast, I find my 10-second count is closer to 12-13.

Any tips? And do you always start a 10-second visible count when the ball is in backcourt, or do you keep it in your head unless there is defensive pressure or you get to 6 or 7 and the ball hasn't crossed yet?

Thanks!
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 01:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. Your supervisor's an idiot.

2. When in Rome, give to Caesar....

Last edited by Adam; Tue Aug 12, 2008 at 01:30pm.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 01:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Your supervisor said to do what?!!!? I don't think my brain and arms could coordinate such a count.

You are a new official so need to learn how to do everything properly. Visible count in the back court, most definitely. And it's 1-second per arm extension. You'll learn that coaches are paying attention to such things.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
Looking for some opinions/guidance on showing the 10-second count (I am relatively new to basketball officiating). When I first started, I counted all 10 seconds with individual arm movements - and did the same on my 5-second inbounds count. Then had a supervisor tell me that it looks stupid with my arm moving back and forth that fast and to switch to an out (1 second) and in (1 second) motion.

I've tried doing that but it feels strange - especially on the 5-second. Yet when I go back to my old method and try not to move fast, I find my 10-second count is closer to 12-13.

Any tips? And do you always start a 10-second visible count when the ball is in backcourt, or do you keep it in your head unless there is defensive pressure or you get to 6 or 7 and the ball hasn't crossed yet?

Thanks!
Always keep a visual count is what I've always been instructed. As for one hand moment is really two seconds...ummm...see above.

-Josh
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 01:42pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz

Thanks!
  1. Your supervisor's wrong. It doesn't look stupid, it looks accurate.
  2. Always show a visible count!
True story: I'm coaching in a provincial semi and the Trail wasn't using a visible count. This was the first year that coaches could request timeouts. My PG wasn't near half when 8 seconds had gone by (clock was my proof) and I requested a TO to prevent the violation. Tweet - 10 second violation. I asked him how he knew that there was a 10 second violation if he wasn't counting. He replied "I was counting". "No you weren't: you didn't have a visible count". "I'm not required to." You can imagine how that sits with any coach. Then I asked him how it could be 10s violation if only 8 seconds came off the clock? Another blank stare.

Practice your visible count, be accurate, and always show a visible count.

Imo, never be less than 10, but aim on the side of too long than too quick. Between 10 and 11 is best.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 01:57pm
Ch1town

So A5 rebounds B1s missed FT & gives it to A1 per coaches request "Give it to a guard"!! Team Bs coach is screaming "Get back on D" now the only ones in the BC are you & the dribbler. You're clicking all the way to the division line?

Same sitch but after a made basket?
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 02:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
So A5 rebounds B1s missed FT & gives it to A1 per coaches request "Give it to a guard"!! Team Bs coach is screaming "Get back on D" now the only ones in the BC are you & the dribbler. You're clicking all the way to the division line?

I do, for various reasons. Primarily, I've had enough point guards sit back and take their time crossing the line. Typically, when I get close to 8 or 9, coach is already yelling at his pg to cross. The few times I've made this 10 second call, the coaches lit into the pg's; not saying a word to me. It's not only the right call, it's the expected call.
Of course, I can't speak for your area (yet).
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

thanks guys, I will work on my 10-sec arm movements, make them fluid and not seem rushed. You never know with supervisors..............
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 02:48pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I do, for various reasons. Primarily, I've had enough point guards sit back and take their time crossing the line. Typically, when I get close to 8 or 9, coach is already yelling at his pg to cross. The few times I've made this 10 second call, the coaches lit into the pg's; not saying a word to me. It's not only the right call, it's the expected call.
Of course, I can't speak for your area (yet).
I hear you Snaqs... does anyone know if this practice varies from HS to NCAA?

No decision as of yet? If you do come to the Metro area, it would be a good idea to get your resume & game tapes to the assignors in September before the October draw. Addresses can be obtained from the CHSAA website.

Last edited by Ch1town; Tue Aug 12, 2008 at 02:52pm.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 02:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I hear you Snaqs... does anyone know if this practice varies from HS to NCAA?
Only time I don't see a visible b/c count is in NCAA-W (which has no count) and the NBA (I'm assuming they use the shot or game clock).
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 03:15pm
Ch1town

Okay, so using the shot clock for BC violations is a pro mechanic/philosophy. Working in the Pro-Am this summer, the vets (NCAA & CBA guys) said when the 24 second shot clock strikes 16 you have a BC violation as opposed to counting (with or w/out pressure).

I guess I better start getting my hand up on OOB violations as well
It was so nice to just point & verbalize.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes. What if you have a timing error? You need the count to fix it unless you are working a D1 game with a courtside monitor.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your supervisor's an idiot
x2
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Yes. What if you have a timing error? You need the count to fix it unless you are working a D1 game with a courtside monitor.
NCAA-W this is not true.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck
NCAA-W this is not true.
I do not claim to know the rules on the women's side very well if at all, so I ask if you have no monitor and no visible count how would you fix an error? Guess?

Last edited by eyezen; Tue Aug 12, 2008 at 06:33pm.