View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 12, 2008, 07:43pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
When I first started, I counted all 10 seconds with individual arm movements - and did the same on my 5-second inbounds count.
That's also how I do it.

Quote:
Then had a supervisor tell me that it looks stupid with my arm moving back and forth that fast and to switch to an out (1 second) and in (1 second) motion.
I can't imagine why anyone would suggest that. I suppose if it became the new NFHS mechanic, I would adjust; but it's not. So just count 1 swing per second, IMHO.

Quote:
Yet when I go back to my old method and try not to move fast, I find my 10-second count is closer to 12-13.
13 is probably too slow. But I would rather be a little slow than a little fast. A few years ago at camp, a D1 assignor asked us to close our eyes and raise our hands when we reached a 10-second count. He said the results were anywhere from 8 seconds to about 13. He said he didn't like 13, but he liked it a lot better than 8.

Quote:
And do you always start a 10-second visible count when the ball is in backcourt, or do you keep it in your head unless there is defensive pressure or you get to 6 or 7 and the ball hasn't crossed yet?
If there's no defensive pressure at all and it's obvious that the offense is going to push it to the frontcourt, then I might not have a count. Other than that, I always have a backcourt count.

In Massachusetts, we use a shot clock. It's not always run properly. But if you have a good shot clock operator, and you know that team control was established on the first touch after the throw-in, then the shot clock can be a big help with your 10-second count. Those are two very big "ifs", though.