LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

8th grader commits to Kentucky...

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/conten...910&CID=803673
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:34am
Esteemed Participant

Wow.

That is wrong in so many different ways.

What have we created in this country???
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Rules prohibit college coaches from initiating contact with prospects and their families at events like the King James tournament, but word was later filtered through the Indiana Elite staff that Gillispie was very impressed with Avery.

"So what I proceeded to do was make contact with coach Gillispie," Avery said. "I got a contact number for him and left him a message, but didn't hear back from him. I started wondering, does he really like my son? When I got in Los Angeles Monday morning, I decided to try again, and he answered the call. He told me he remembered my son, and that he was really glad that I called. He explained that he wasn't allowed to call me back, so it had to be me that initiated the call.
Right. This kid from SoCal ends up playing for some AAU coach in Indiana at a tourney where a D1 coach happens to be looking at other players. And the D1 coach is so impressed he offers him a scholarship.

Typical AAU/NCAA BS. The only question is how will the AAU coaches involved hide their payoff so it doesn't appear too obvious what actually went on.

And yes, it's pathetic this crap is reaching down to the 8th grade.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:44am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Anybody else think it's going to be hard for this kid to concentrate on his studies in HS?

"Gee, Mom, I can't do my homework, I have to practice my jump shot or else Kentucky might change their minds."

Or worse yet - "Michael, forget the homework, go practice your jump shot. Do you want to blow your scholarship? What's wrong with you?"

This is wrong on so many levels.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Hey..it's the times we live in. If the kid can get his education paid for, I'm all for it. You use the game, not the other way around. Sure, a lot can happen in 4 years but if they put the offer on the table and he can sign it...DO IT!

And if he turns out to be a marginal player, well....he still has that education!

Edited for: I do think it's crazy but it is what it is...take the money and run!
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:55am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Anybody else think it's going to be hard for this kid to concentrate on his studies in HS?
Why dies he have to study if he's going to Kentucky?
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 12:00pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Hey..it's the times we live in.
That is garbage. It's not the "times we live in" - it's the climate we have allowed to develop where little Johnny is a superstar because he's taller than all the other kids and can shoot/throw/pass/kick a stupid ball better than others. It's crap...
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 12:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not like the fact that kids would subject themselves to that kind of decision this early. But who is going to stop him or his family making that decision? The coaches still cannot talk to the players at this stage. I know if I was that young and was a really good player, I probably would make a similar decision as to what school I was going to. Now it is up to the parents that help guide those decisions and show there kids the correct way. Now not all parents are capable to do that and most are completely uneducated about the process anyway and unless their parents are former players or current coaches, they might not really know what to do or what not to do in this situation. Bottom line is most parents would want their kid to get an education or an opportunity for an education.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 12:16pm.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Rocky....it's the same thing with drafting kids out of HS to the NBA...it's all based on POTENTIAL and really has nothing to do with actual ability anymore.

Sadly it's all become a business...right down to the 8th grade AAU level. I will never fault a kid for taking the opportunity to secure something for himself, be it a full ride scholarship or the multi-million dollar payday of professional sports. Look at Greg Oden...Do you think he didn't know about his knee problem when at OSU...if that were to come out before last year's draft, do you think he would have been picked where he was....Maybe with him, but a lot of other guys who had knee issues never made the guaranteed money of the first round.

Again...sign the LOI and scholly offer as fast as you can kid!
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 12:07pm
Esteemed Participant

In that entire article, the word "education" was used once. It's not about an education and we all know that...
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 12:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

A "committment" to anything by 13-14 year boy is a oxymoron (or is it a conundrum?).

Is there anything that truly ties this kid to Kentucky?
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Bottom line is most parents would want their kid to get an education or an opportunity for an education.
Of course he's not actually getting an opportunity for a free education.

He's exchanging the promise of a LOT of hard and time consuming work for the chance to enroll for free at this institution. If the parents had thought through it at least as long as it took them to get the coaches phone number from the AAU coach they could have maybe realized this will not be the last chance the kid will have. And who knows...? maybe in 4 years the very last thing this kid will want to do is move from SoCal to Kentucky.

In short, it was a stupid, shortsighted decision to let the kid commit at this point.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
In that entire article, the word "education" was used once. It's not about an education and we all know that...
I agree and you are missing my point....Let's say they were looking at him and 3 years from now the kid rips up his ACL/MCL/PCL, needs microfracture surgury or something.......do you think Gillespie is gonna say "Well kid, I've been watching you since 8th grade and you are a great kid and I know it's gonna take you 2 years to rehab, but I'm gonna give you a full ride anyway!"

HELL NO he's not.....

So IF the kid pans out and becomes a stud Gillespie looks like a helluva coach for "spotting" talent and maybe he goes on to BIG$ of pro ball..... If the kid shreds his knee....HE looks like a smart kid that took advantage of the system which is EXACTLY what he should do because the % chances of him getting a college education paid for and making it to guaranteed money to set him and his family up for life in 7 years don't come around often enough!
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
I agree and you are missing my point....Let's say they were looking at him and 3 years from now the kid rips up his ACL/MCL/PCL, needs microfracture surgury or something.......do you think Gillespie is gonna say "Well kid, I've been watching you since 8th grade and you are a great kid and I know it's gonna take you 2 years to rehab, but I'm gonna give you a full ride anyway!"

HELL NO he's not.....

So IF the kid pans out and becomes a stud Gillespie looks like a helluva coach for "spotting" talent and maybe he goes on to BIG$ of pro ball..... If the kid shreds his knee....HE looks like a smart kid that took advantage of the system which is EXACTLY what he should do because the % chances of him getting a college education paid for and making it to guaranteed money to set him and his family up for life in 7 years don't come around often enough!
Man I would love to have you on the *other* side of the table in any business negotiations.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 12:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

We must keep in mind that scholarships are not 4 year commitments. They really are 1 year commitments. And nothing really starts until a kid signs the Letter of Intent. Until the kid signs that letter and the school offers it to them, it really means nothing at this time. And nothing prevents a school from still recruiting this kid. Even when a kid signs a letter the school do not have to offer a scholarship.

Peace