The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

What's the haps from Kentucky?

Anyone there care to enlighten us as to what the scuttlebutt is with the proposed rule changes?
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Anyone there care to enlighten us as to what the scuttlebutt is with the proposed rule changes?
No
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

So far, the two most important things for umpires.

Umpires being sent to work National tournaments will be required to purchase their pants from ASA. This is to insure all pants are of the same color.

At this point in time, background investigations have been put on hold for umpires though I don't know how many times the issue will return in the future.

The 2009 ASA National Convention will be at the Peppermill in Reno, NV

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 04:59pm.
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Umpires being sent to work National tournaments will be required to purchase their pants from ASA. This is to insure all pants are of the same color.
First, let me say Hallelujah.

But, I hope something is written to avoid the following, which I post as a bit of devil's advocate.

(First, we must make an assumption that hell has frozen over.)

Let's say umpire B, and we'll change his name here, call him Oner. Oner has been chosen to do the 12B Western. (Like I said, hell has frozen over.) Oner's UIC, and we'll call him Tom, sez hey Oner, don't forget, you have to buy some ASA pants.

Tom tells Oner this because 1) you have to buy ASA pants, and 2) Oner's pants have been washed and sunbleached so many times they are now pink.

Oner is a frugal sort, and has his receipt showing he indeed bought those pants from ASA. Maybe it was in the previous century, but by golly sure enough they came from the ASA uniform sales program in beautiful OKC.

So now what are we gonna do?

(I know what I would do. As soon as I found out, I'd buy me another couple pairs o'pants. But I ain't everybody...which is a good thing.)
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
You may recall from prior years that subcommittees (JO, umpires, player reps)decide what they support, which report to next tier committees (Fastpitch, Slowpitch, and Modified), which report to the Playing Rules Committee, which makes a recommendation to accept or reject. It then takes a 60% +1 majority of the Council to overturn the final recommendation.

The first two tiers have met, and Playing Rules meets tomorrow, with the Council vote on Thursday. So, as Mike said in a more curt response, there really is no results to report.

Based on the first two tiers, expect that the effort to expand 4th out appeals to fail; expect efforts to tweak/clarify/explain batter interference to fail, expect metal cleats to fail, expect efforts to define a bunt, a chop, and a legal slide to fail, expect efforts to change slow pitch pitching distances or redefine the arc to fail, expect legalizing the pitcher not wiping after going to the mouth to fail. Proposals to delete all 10B running limitations should pass, expect the 18A to pitch from 43' (but, apparently not 18B or 16A, at least, not in 2008). An effort to clarify that any game participant that smoked or drank an alcoholic beverage anywhere while their game is in progress seems to fail, too; the issue is about where the umpires should be paying attention, or if we should monitor the players that go to the bathroom, too. Dakota's favorite line that the pitcher is not required to pitch to one batter seems destined for deletion; slaughter rules will likely add 12 after 4 in fastpitch (15 after 3 and 8 after 5 unchanged), and slowpitch to 20 after 3, 15 after 4, 10 after 5.

Proposals to make college players ineligible for JO play are hotly disputed, and are easily too close to have any idea what will happen this year. The standard arguments over slowpitch homerun limits and inning-ending homeruns will never end, so who knows what this year's outcome will be (that will be revisited again and again in the future).
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Pretty good synopsis by Steve.... The next two days should be kind of interesting...

There has been a pretty good dispute about the enning ending outs for D level Sp.....but expect it to stay....the proposal to add it to "C: level ball was pretty much shot down...
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
...Dakota's favorite line that the pitcher is not required to pitch to one batter seems destined for deletion;...
Rats!
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Changes approved by Rule Committee

RULE
Ch #, Rule #, Para#
5 2 1 Change Girl's 18-U A and B FP to 43 Feet. To bring consistency to all Junior Olympic Girls 18-U FP.
12 3 1 G Add: The bat barrel will be free of audible rattles when shaken. The barrel shall not have signs of excessive wear
21 4 6 D REMOVE: "The pitcher is not required to pitch until the first batter faced completes their time at bat or the side has been retired". Rules causes confusion.
33 5 9 A1 Fast Pitch: Add: 12 after 4 innings Prevent more lopsided ball games.
34 5 9 A2 Modified: Add: 15 after 3 innings Prevent more lopsided ball games.
35 5 9 A3 Slow Pitch: Add: 15 after 4 innings Prevent more lopsided ball games.
36 5 12 Any game participants shall not drink alcoholic beverages while their game is in progress. Effect: The participant is ejected. Clarification of current rule.
37 6 1 A SP In senior play the pitcher may take a position from the front edge of the pitchers plate to six feet behind the pitcher's plate within the 24 inches of the plate. Allows pitchers to pitch up to 56 feet from the batter.
38 6 3 A 16"SP If a step is taken it can be forward, back, or to the side, provided the pivot foot is in contact with the pitchers plate and the step is simultaneous with a hesitation or the release of the pitch. Clarifies the interpretation that a hesitation is a pitch.
39 6 3 G 16"SP ADD: A pick off attempt by the pitcher is a hesitation. Clarifies that pick-off is a hesitation.
45 7 4 B Slow Pitch: Add: Will use a strike mat that is 24 inches long and 17 inches wide. The Mat will fit behind home plate joing the plate at 8 1/2 inches from the plate. The combined distance of the Mat and the plate is a rectangular 32 1/2 inches long by 17 inches wide. A legal pitch striking any portion of the plate or mat will be a strike. Senior Players want this rule.
50 8 3 I All adult slow pitch, (excluding Masters and Seniors), don't have to run the bases on an over the fence home run or four base award. Speeds up the game.
51 8 4 F Change women's Open slow pitch to women's slow pitch. Allow stealing in all Women's SP.
52 8 4 G Delete complete section G. To allow all 10-U A & B to play regular softball rules.
55 8 8 7I 1a Add Hesitation pitch to 16 " Hesitation is part of the pitching motion.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
45 7 4 B Slow Pitch: Add: Will use a strike mat that is 24 inches long and 17 inches wide. The Mat will fit behind home plate joing the plate at 8 1/2 inches from the plate. The combined distance of the Mat and the plate is a rectangular 32 1/2 inches long by 17 inches wide. A legal pitch striking any portion of the plate or mat will be a strike. Senior Players want this rule.
So then why are we even there? I think that's terrible.

The last league I called in that used a mat also had a provision that roughly stated "if the pitch did not hit the mat, a strike may still be called if the umpire judges it to be a legal ASA strike."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
36 5 12 Any game participants shall not drink alcoholic beverages while their game is in progress. Effect: The participant is ejected. Clarification of current rule.
This one is just going to lead to a lot of local leagues writing their own rule governing "beer" ball, or else a mass exodus to USSSA.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
This one is just going to lead to a lot of local leagues writing their own rule governing "beer" ball, or else a mass exodus to USSSA.
I'm surprised it didn't include anything about the players showing up "tanked" before the game.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
So, as Mike said in a more curt response, there really is no results to report.
I don't think anybody asked for "results".......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Rumors and gossip are much more fun.....

Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Nothing there encourages me to branch out and start calling some slow pitch.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:13am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
So then why are we even there? I think that's terrible.

The last league I called in that used a mat also had a provision that roughly stated "if the pitch did not hit the mat, a strike may still be called if the umpire judges it to be a legal ASA strike."
I second your comment. I worked a Deaf national tournament where they used the mat. I felt like I wasn't working at all, felt cheapened. It was a NATIONAL tournament!
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 11:15am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I'm surprised it didn't include anything about the players showing up "tanked" before the game.
Ditto. I think the ones that show up tanked already are worse than the ones that get tanked during the games. The booze has already eaten away at their common sense.