View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Rules prohibit college coaches from initiating contact with prospects and their families at events like the King James tournament, but word was later filtered through the Indiana Elite staff that Gillispie was very impressed with Avery.

"So what I proceeded to do was make contact with coach Gillispie," Avery said. "I got a contact number for him and left him a message, but didn't hear back from him. I started wondering, does he really like my son? When I got in Los Angeles Monday morning, I decided to try again, and he answered the call. He told me he remembered my son, and that he was really glad that I called. He explained that he wasn't allowed to call me back, so it had to be me that initiated the call.
Right. This kid from SoCal ends up playing for some AAU coach in Indiana at a tourney where a D1 coach happens to be looking at other players. And the D1 coach is so impressed he offers him a scholarship.

Typical AAU/NCAA BS. The only question is how will the AAU coaches involved hide their payoff so it doesn't appear too obvious what actually went on.

And yes, it's pathetic this crap is reaching down to the 8th grade.