The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 05:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Sixth grader drops F bomb

We held our annual rec league referee pizza party yesterday and one of my refs who is a college student told me a 6th grade boy made this comment to him at one of his games earlier that day after he called a foul on the kid - "You're a f***ing idiot".

I asked him what he did about it. He said he just told the kid to watch his language. After my jaw dropped about 5 feet, he laughed and said he issued a flagrant technical foul and ejected the kid (which is the league rule for any profanity whatsoever). Of course, the kid was the coach's son, but the coach didn't say anything to the ref - which was OK. In fact, the coach told the kid (menacingly), "we'll talk about this when I get you home."

BTW - he'll miss his next game, which is their last one of the season. If this had been their last, he would miss his first one next year (yes - the league keeps records like that).

This rule applies in grades 3 through 8. At the HS level, it's at the official's discretion whether or not to rule it flagrant depending on the circumstances. Usually we do, unless the kid was just mad at himself and mutters something under his breath and we just happen to overhear it.

BTW - the other team made both free throws, scored a three pointer on the subsequent possession and won by two points. The technical came in the last minute of the game.

Instant karma's gonna get you if you don't look out.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Helped a friend out last weekend . . . 10U Boys Tournament. Call OOB on teams best player (Coach's Son), he screams at me then throws the ball at me. Instantly give the T. Go to report the Tech, Coach asks what he did, and I told him. Coach IMMEDIATELY subs out his son, walks out into the lobby for a "talk" and sits him the rest of the game (3 quarters). Then the coach makes his boy walk up to me after the game and apologize.

I really do like that coach . . .
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
Helped a friend out last weekend . . . 10U Boys Tournament. Call OOB on teams best player (Coach's Son), he screams at me then throws the ball at me. Instantly give the T. Go to report the Tech, Coach asks what he did, and I told him. Coach IMMEDIATELY subs out his son, walks out into the lobby for a "talk" and sits him the rest of the game (3 quarters). Then the coach makes his boy walk up to me after the game and apologize.

...and when the kid grows up, you may like him too, with a dad like that. It's almost enough to give hope for the next generation.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2007, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Quote:

did a last second 3rd grade game last week and the coach from the away team came up to me before the game and said number 22 is going sit on the bench today and not play because of what happened at school this week. I gave the coach major props for that.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 10:53am
Administrator

Quote:

A player no matter what his age throws the ball at you in anger and you do not eject him?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Mon Mar 12, 2007 at 11:55am.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
A player not matter what his age throws the ball at you in anger and you do not eject him?

MTD, Sr.
Sr. once Im done translating your post I will comment on its validity
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 11:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
It was pretty basic English, Deecee. And here's a bit of advice: one should always be careful of his own English and grammar when criticizing that of another poster, even when such criticism is subtle.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

But then......

....there are these coaches and parents.

Working 8th Grade CYO championship yesterday. Coach for the favored team is on us from the tip. He gets stop signed in the 1st, whacked in the 2nd, tossed in the 3rd. His parents give him a standing ovation on the way out of the gym....apparently it is not only OK, but worthy of applause to get thrown out of a game these days.

Great comment by him during the opening moments of the game. Because it was a championship game, the director of the league wanted a 3-man crew. He goes to me about 2 minutes in -- "We've never had 3 officials before -- how am I supposed to coach my kids when I don't know what you're going to call since there are 3 officials??"

Oh, and his team lost by 20.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 11:28am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
....there are these coaches and parents.

Working 8th Grade CYO championship yesterday. Coach for the favored team is on us from the tip. He gets stop signed in the 1st, whacked in the 2nd, tossed in the 3rd. His parents give him a standing ovation on the way out of the gym....apparently it is not only OK, but worthy of applause to get thrown out of a game these days.

Great comment by him during the opening moments of the game. Because it was a championship game, the director of the league wanted a 3-man crew. He goes to me about 2 minutes in -- "We've never had 3 officials before -- how am I supposed to coach my kids when I don't know what you're going to call since there are 3 officials??"

Oh, and his team lost by 20.
Thankfully there are more of the prior examples out there than there are of these idiots...a question - were they clapping for the coach, or for you because you tossed him? I've had parents clap for us and thank us after tossing youth coaches before, so I'm just wondering...
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Thankfully there are more of the prior examples out there than there are of these idiots...a question - were they clapping for the coach, or for you because you tossed him? I've had parents clap for us and thank us after tossing youth coaches before, so I'm just wondering...
No it was definitely for the coach. The other team's parents, however, also gave a standing ovation, definitely in support of the ejection.....great sportsmanship there as well, IMO
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
We held our annual rec league referee pizza party yesterday and one of my refs who is a college student told me a 6th grade boy made this comment to him at one of his games earlier that day after he called a foul on the kid - "You're a f***ing idiot".

I asked him what he did about it. He said he just told the kid to watch his language. After my jaw dropped about 5 feet, he laughed and said he issued a flagrant technical foul and ejected the kid (which is the league rule for any profanity whatsoever). Of course, the kid was the coach's son, but the coach didn't say anything to the ref - which was OK. In fact, the coach told the kid (menacingly), "we'll talk about this when I get you home."

BTW - he'll miss his next game, which is their last one of the season. If this had been their last, he would miss his first one next year (yes - the league keeps records like that).

This rule applies in grades 3 through 8. At the HS level, it's at the official's discretion whether or not to rule it flagrant depending on the circumstances. Usually we do, unless the kid was just mad at himself and mutters something under his breath and we just happen to overhear it.

BTW - the other team made both free throws, scored a three pointer on the subsequent possession and won by two points. The technical came in the last minute of the game.

Instant karma's gonna get you if you don't look out.
Darn, automatic T! That is the one thing I dont tolerate is bad language from kids.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 11:56am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee

I edited my post to make sense. I meant to type the word "no" and typed the word "not" instead.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
...."We've never had 3 officials before -- how am I supposed to coach my kids when I don't know what you're going to call since there are 3 officials??"...
Translation - How am I supposed to cheat by telling my players to clutch and grab away from the ball if there is another official looking for it?
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 03:37pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I had a FB's game at a religious school earlier this yr. Late in a close game one of the boys from the team current losing throws up an air ball from the line on the front end of a two shot foul. In exasperation he says g_d d_mit! You coulda heard a pin drop. Talk about embarassed.....