The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Lsu - Kentucky Game

Did anyone see Ted Valentine shoes last night in the LSU-Kentucky game?
I can understand having a little white on your shoes, but I missed most of the game from those shoes catching my eye.
Whats your thoughts?
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kref
Did anyone see Ted Valentine shoes last night in the LSU-Kentucky game?
I can understand having a little white on your shoes, but I missed most of the game from those shoes catching my eye.
Whats your thoughts?
I was JUST getting ready to post about that.

Eeeek was my thought exactly.

Also, Ted's exaggerated mechanics really irritate me.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
I was JUST getting ready to post about that.

Eeeek was my thought exactly.

Also, Ted's exaggerated mechanics really irritate me.
BTW, I think it was you that made a comment about Teddy V making a "tipped ball" mechanic the other day. If this was not you I am sorry for calling you out. But one of the other officials had a clean block near the end of the game close to the basket and one of the other officials gave a "tipped ball" signal after the play was over. This is not just a "Teddy" phenomenon. I have seen a lot of officials do things that could be seen as “exaggerated.”

Peace
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
BTW, I think it was you that made a comment about Teddy V making a "tipped ball" mechanic the other day. If this was not you I am sorry for calling you out. But one of the other officials had a clean block near the end of the game close to the basket and one of the other officials gave a "tipped ball" signal after the play was over. This is not just a "Teddy" phenomenon. I have seen a lot of officials do things that could be seen as “exaggerated.”

Peace
I can't remember if that was me or not, but I'm talking about REALLY exaggerated mechanics. Last night, to signify that a call was on the floor as opposed to a shot, Teddy did a really nice demonstration of a calisthenic lunge and almost touched the floor with his finger.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:39am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kref
Whats your thoughts?
That apparently Gerald Boudreaux and John Clougherty, and a few other people who hire referees, don't have a problem with it.

I noticed the white Nike swoosh when Teddy made that block call on a UK player on the baseline. I knew someone was going to say something about it.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 12:42pm.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

I don't care for Ted one way or the other. But he probably gets about 100+ D1 games a year. Which translates to around $100,000 yr. I never got the big deal about a little white on the shoes. Sounds like some of you have a serious foot fetish. The guy, and others like him can make sick money doing what we all would love to do for a career. So what if he has a little fun out there. Personally I don't what to look like some NF robot when I'm officiating.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I had to take a double take on his shoes. At first I thought he was wearing theses.....

Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Wasn't knocking mechanics or envying anyone when I started the original thread, actually I think the d1 fellows do a great job, thats why they are there and make the big bucks. If I were to wear those shoes in one of my DII or DIII games I know there would be some comments and snickers from fellow officials and assignors if they were to see...
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie719
I don't care for Ted one way or the other. But he probably gets about 100+ D1 games a year. Which translates to around $100,000 yr. I never got the big deal about a little white on the shoes. Sounds like some of you have a serious foot fetish. The guy, and others like him can make sick money doing what we all would love to do for a career. So what if he has a little fun out there. Personally I don't what to look like some NF robot when I'm officiating.

100 + D1 games for Teddy translates to around $200,000 a year.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 01:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
You are right. Some conferences have a tier system where they pay top notch officials more money than the rookie.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
Beat me to it . . . it is well known that Stever Welmer made WELL over $220,000 last year and he called 118 games. If Ted Valentine called over 100 games, I can be almost certain he made out like a bandit. Now, based on Welmer's figures, that is about $1865 per game. Typical game lasts 1.5 hours, plus 1 hour for pregame and preparation, 1 hour for postgame (travel time not included) . . . hmmm . . . 3.5 Hours worth of work . . . @ $532+ per hour . . . yeah, I could do that . . . considering I make about $18/hour right now . . . It ain't much of an increase, but I could manage.