The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Violation- Shooter with ball

So I don't know the rules too well on this other than the traditional violations leaving the lane early, etc. For a shooter.
He had the ball dribbled and then put the ball up and pushed it upward to practice his shot. A couple of feet straight up above his head. Ball came down, caught it and then shot the ft. I called a violation. I've seen players practice their shot but without the ball. I'm fairly sure I got this right but I wanted to check. high school.

Also, does anyone have a link on the difference for backcourt NCAA vs H.S? ball off D player than off offensive into backcourt that is a violation but not in the NBA. Is it in NCAA?
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Not a violation.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a cite for that? I swear this is a violation in the NBA but I'm not sure for HS and NCAA. For me it should be a violation because he made a shooting motion with the ball---edit. perhaps you were referring to the second part. But back on the Ft. Could a player pretend to throw the ball at the basket if it isn't a violation to draw the other team into a lane violation? I called a violation because the other team did step into the lane.

Last edited by lpbreeze; Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 09:08pm.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
Is there a cite for that? I swear this is a violation in the NBA but I'm not sure for HS and NCAA. For me it should be a violation because he made a shooting motion with the ball---edit. perhaps you were referring to the second part. But back on the Ft. Could a player pretend to throw the ball at the basket if it isn't a violation to draw the other team into a lane violation? I called a violation because the other team did step into the lane.
The only way I'd call a violation in that instance is if the action drew his opponent into the lane. Otherwise, it's nothing.

Oh, and it's much more appropriate to provide a citation about how this is a violation, rather than looking for one to explicitly allow it. If it's not against the rules, it's legal.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Really? I just can't understand that. So a player is allowed to do any type of shooting motion, even releasing the ball as long as its not toward the rim. Or fake a toss at the rim as long as it doesn't draw the other team into a violation? Well if its not in the rules it should be. I just think you can't make a shooting motion with the ball that doesn't go to the rim
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really? I just can't understand that. So a player is allowed to do any type of shooting motion, even releasing the ball as long as its not toward the rim. Or fake a toss at the rim as long as it doesn't draw the other team into a violation? Well if its not in the rules it should be. I just think you can't make a shooting motion with the ball
Why not? It obviously isn't the player's actual shot, so why should an official care?
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know if this is an NBA or NCAA violation. I would be shocked if it isn't an NBA violation because I've swear I've seen it called.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not an expert on NCAA rules, but as far as I know there's nothing in their rules that would make this a violation.

As far as the NBA, I swear I've never seen a violation called on a FT shooter.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

back to "if the action drew his opponent into the lane"

So could a player do a pre ft where he motions the ball toward the rim not releasing it. Or releasing it straight up as in the OP. But no opponent steps into the lane say after multiple ft attempts. But then late in the game even though the shooter has shot fts before, an opponent is drawn into the lane? If I were a coach and a shooter is doing that I could tell my players to step into the lane to draw a violation on the shooter. Then of course, the other coach would be saying why would something that was legal before suddenly be illegal?
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

It's up to you to judge whether the action drew the player into the lane or he intentionally went in early. And if a player has done that all game, and then late in a close game a player goes in early (especially in NFHS where players have to wait for the rim) I'm going to err on the side of the free thrower.

If he changes his routine and someone comes in early, that's different. If it happens on his first FT attempt of the game, you have to make a judgement call.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Ok but I just wish there was a rule against that type of thing. As for the NBA where player go in on the release and often they do before the shot I'm 99% positive I've seen it called. Maybe it was Karl Malone or someone who held the ball up and did a little hitch or fake
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok but I just wish there was a rule against that type of thing. As for the NBA where player go in on the release and often they do before the shot I'm 99% positive I've seen it called. Maybe it was Karl Malone or someone who held the ball up and did a little hitch or fake
If someone "faked" it, I totally believe it. It definitely is different when guys are going in on the release...but it doesn't mean there is an explicit rule against the motion. It's simply a rule against drawing an opponent into the lane by faking.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

and one other thing that bothered me was the player saying he had done it before in other games and it hadn't been called. But then it is a violation in new game because the other team went into the lane.
I shall take this up with President of Basketball. who is... hmmmmm the dude with the highlighters on ESPN.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 11:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The cite you're looking for is rule 9-1-1b. "The free thrower shall not fake a try, nor shall any player in a marked lane space fake to cause an opponent to violate."

This is a hold-over rule from when players (except the shooter) could enter the lane upon the release of the try. The intent of the rule is to prohibit the shooter from deceiving the defense into a violation.

Since the defense can't enter until the ball hits the rim anyway, this fake should not have any affect on them. This is why it's generally allowed.

At the NCAA and NBA levels, players are allowed to enter the lane on the release, so the fake is probably illegal there as well.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Well thanks but this is one that I just can't agree with. It is illegal but a ref will only blow it as illegal if it causes a lane violation. I just think it would be better off to call a violation even without a lane violation