The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Question

Hello all...

I referee under the international rules in Canada. I had this play occur on the weekend and I had not seen it in my 12 years of refereeing basketball.

Free throw shooter on his last shot, dribbles the ball a couple of times in preparation to shoot. Picks up the ball and places it in his left hand. The Shooter then gathers to shoot and makes a motion with his Right hand to shoot. All players enter the key from the as to anticipate a rebound but the ball remained in the left hand of the shooter.

I called a violation on the shooter for faking a free throw? Is this correct?

Thanks

AD
Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

For Fed rules, I believe this is correct.

Rule 9 Violations and Penalties
SECTION 1 FREE-THROW PROVISIONS
A player shall not violate the following provisions governing free throws:
ART. 1 . . .
ART. 2 . . .
After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower:
ART. 3 . . . He/she shall throw within 10 seconds to cause the ball to enter the basket or touch the ring before the free throw ends.
ART. 4 . . . The free thrower shall not fake a try, nor shall any player in a marked lane space fake to cause an opponent to violate.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
That was a fake?

Its hard to see how a shooting motion without the ball in hand could be construed as a "fake try". Some players do this as part of their visualization process before shooting. Some coaches teach their players to do it as part of their routine. All the other player who went in after he did it followed one guy who clearly was not paying attention. Bad play and coaching with respect to the first guy in the lane, particularly under Fed rules where they have to wait for rim or backboard contact.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

If this was the first free throw this player shot during the game, I'd blow my whistle, step in the lane and say something like "OK, now that we all know his motion, let's try again" I can't really consider the action as described a "fake".

On the other hand, if this happened later in the game and this player had shot free throws earlier without using the "practice" motion, I'd have a violation by the shooter.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AD
Hello all...

I referee under the international rules in Canada. I had this play occur on the weekend and I had not seen it in my 12 years of refereeing basketball.

Free throw shooter on his last shot, dribbles the ball a couple of times in preparation to shoot. Picks up the ball and places it in his left hand. The Shooter then gathers to shoot and makes a motion with his Right hand to shoot. All players enter the key from the as to anticipate a rebound but the ball remained in the left hand of the shooter.

Thanks

AD
Yep, I'd call it a fake based upon the highlighted words above. It was his "last shot" telling me that he'd just shot one or two other free throws and this was something he did differently.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2002, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Not enough info

If he missed the first shot (asuming "last shot" did not mean only shot - I don't pretend to have a clue about FIBA rules and whether they even have a 1 shot foul), the motion may well be trying to get his concentration back. I might buy the "fake" if he had been shooting and making them earlier in the game without the motion, but it still stikes me as a stretch.
Old Thu Nov 28, 2002, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

This was the first time the player went to the line in the game. It was only one shot as it was an "and 1" situation.

AD
Old Thu Nov 28, 2002, 08:05pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by AD
Hello all...

Thanks

AD

It may or may not be a free throw violation.

FIBA free throw rules regarding the free throw shooter:

R10-A59.3: The free-throw shooter:
59.3.1. Shall take a position behind the free-throw line
and inside the semicircle.

59.3.2. May use any method to shoot for goal but he must
shoot in such a way that the ball enters the
basket from above or touches the ring before it
is touched by a player.

59.3.3. Shall release the ball with five (5) seconds from
the time it is placed at his disposal by one of
the officials.

59.3.4. Shall not touch the free-throw line or the
playing court beyond the free-throw line until
the ball has touched the ring.

59.3.5. Shall not fake a free throw.

59.3.6. Shall not touch the ball while it is on its way
to the basket.

59.3.7. Shall not touch the basket or the backboard while
the ball is in contact with the ring during the
free throw.

During the practice period before the start of the game, the game officials should observe the players and how the players shoot their free throws. I have seen players how shoot free throws in a manner very similar to the way described in AD's posting. If a player uses this method during his practice before the game it is a very good indicator that he will shoot the same way during the game and should not be considered faking a free throw, even if this is the player's first time at the line and it is late in the game.

Now, if a player all of sudden changes to this method during a free throw late in the game, I would think that he might be trying to fake a free throw. Faking a free throw is a rare violation and I cannot ever calling the violation or seeing it called in any game I have observed, played in, or coached.

Note to Scott Parks: NFHS, NCAA, NBA/WNBA has a ten (10) second shooting requiement and FIBA has a five (5) second shooting requirement.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Nov 29, 2002, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up You were right

You were right, because "a free throw shooter shall not fake a free throw" Article 57.4.5 (FIBA RULES)

ADR
Old Fri Nov 29, 2002, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I could see if he faked with the ball, did he do it on his first shot? was the coach going nuts after call? I guess its a judgememt, if I wasn't faked, I wouldnt call it, faking without ball,was game even close? didn't players see ball in left hand?, was the ball high or on hip? hope I'm becoming a pain? was it a fake with intent? thats how I guess, I would look at it, have a great season guys, & girls
Old Fri Nov 29, 2002, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

that was hope I'm not becoming a pain,
sorry!!! I know I was anyway, I'll work on that.
Old Fri Nov 29, 2002, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

I also ref in Canada with FIBA rules. Regarding the 5 seconds to release the free throw. I've never seen it called. I heard somebody called one last week.
Talk of the town.
Closed Thread