The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
The original ruling was that the shot was no good. It was waved off immediately, then the officials conferred, and they stuck with the original ruling.

And I want no part of instant replay. This is a prime example of getting frame-by-frame evidence that still doesn't give you the needed picture.
Would I want courtside monitors on every high school game? No! In fact there isn't one for every NCAA game either. One argument @ least @ the High School level is that the game is @ its purest form and needs to be officiated as such. The game is meant to be officiated by humans who inherently will make mistakes which should just be an accepted part of the game. From a officials point of view I agree with that assertion.

However in todays world where there is so much emphasize put on the players & coaches to win I can see, from the coaches point of view, in the tournament where it is one and done that a monitor would be extremely beneficial. I think we all would agree that we want to make sure the right team wins the game!!

I agree with what, I believe it was JR said, "they are damned if they do or damned if they don't" in this particular play. It's the PLAY that could go either way in real time with human eyes, as I said in a earlier post. Now look @ the aftermath of this call, right or wrong. The blame (not by us I hope) is now going to be placed squarely on the officials, who from what someone else said,worked a GREAT game, for the wrong team winning, supposedly.

The majority is no longer going to remember the GREAT game they worked but the call @ the end that they had to make without the ability that we have had along with all of the fans of the losing team.. It leaves the win in question!!! A monitor would @ the very least take the excuse of the lose or the wrong team winning out of the equation. Not to mention if you have a end of game/season play like this as an official I would want to be able to go to a monitor to be sure.

Someone said that the angle wouldn't have been good or even the still frame pics don't prove disprove the ruling. If they instituted a monitor procedure for @ the very least, the State Finals, I'm sure their would be a better angle from which to view from.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 05:23pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
Brad,
I guess my eyes are going....

I haven't seen anything...regular speed....slow motion...or even frame by frame, that shows the ball "clearly" away from the shooters hand before the light/horn goes off.
Maybe you're just not as good as me

It's close... but watching the video for the LED lights and listening for the horn, it appears that he has released the ball in both cases.

If this play is *THAT* close, why wouldn't you award the miracle basket and play at the end of the game? We don't know the discussion of the officials though -- maybe they didn't think it was *THAT* close...
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Maybe you're just not as good as me

It's close... but watching the video for the LED lights and listening for the horn, it appears that he has released the ball in both cases.

If this play is *THAT* close, why wouldn't you award the miracle basket and play at the end of the game? We don't know the discussion of the officials though -- maybe they didn't think it was *THAT* close...
That's how tough this call is..........I've looked at the video over 20 times and thought no good. Saw the youtube version and wasn't quite sure. Now looking at frame by frame, it might have been good.

I echo JR's thoughts .........tough, tough call.

To think those three guys probably got 60 bucks apiece for the game.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
That's how tough this call is..........I've looked at the video over 20 times and thought no good. Saw the youtube version and wasn't quite sure. Now looking at frame by frame, it might have been good.

I echo JR's thoughts .........tough, tough call.

To think those three guys probably got 60 bucks apiece for the game.
I am just going to take a guess, but they got well over $60 for that game. It was a State Championship game, not your local conference game.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I am just going to take a guess, but they got well over $60 for that game. It was a State Championship game, not your local conference game.

Peace
I bet Rut is right. I don't know about other states but in Indiana you get $90.00 plus $.20/mile round trip to work the State Championship game.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, $63 (plus travel) is the fee for state championship games in SC, which is equal to the regular season fee for double-headers.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, $63 (plus travel) is the fee for state championship games in SC, which is equal to the regular season fee for double-headers.
You only get $63 & that is to work both games....
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

In Illinois basketball the State Final officials (12 officials) get $130 a game and up to 3 nights in a hotel. And that is two games for the weekend.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
You only get $63 & that is to work both games....
Yep. We get $63 for a B/G V double-header, but we do get $.35/mile both ways, which is a lot better than anywhere else I've officiated. Most of my games were 30-75 miles away, so my checks were anywhere from $85 - $115 for a double-header night.

SC is one of the lowest-paying states out there for fees. But, like I said, the mileage helps make up a little bit.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Illinois basketball the State Final officials (12 officials) get $130 a game and up to 3 nights in a hotel. And that is two games for the weekend.

Peace
That's solid.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Are the State Championship game officials pre determined before the 12 get to the site? Or are they determined after the 12 work a game? Just curious how different it is in comparison to Indiana.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yep. We get $63 for a B/G V double-header, but we do get $.35/mile both ways, which is a lot better than anywhere else I've officiated. Most of my games were 30-75 miles away, so my checks were anywhere from $85 - $115 for a double-header night.

SC is one of the lowest-paying states out there for fees. But, like I said, the mileage helps make up a little bit.
Let me stop you right there. That is not the lowest paid out there. The most I have received for a single HS varsity game is $60. No mileage or other fees, just $60. And the play for the post season (Regional level) was $59 each (4 games) with no mileage or other pay involved. Just a flat fee and that is it.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I suppose thats not that bad. Do you have to work a double every night? We don't get milage in Indiana unless you assigned to work the tourney.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let me stop you right there. That is not the lowest paid out there. The most I have received for a single HS varsity game is $60. No mileage or other fees, just $60. And the play for the post season (Regional level) was $59 each (4 games) with no mileage or other pay involved. Just a flat fee and that is it.

Peace
Oh, I definitely know there are lower fees...and like I said, the mileage really helps make up for the relatively low fees. But, there's a thread on here from last year (I think) asking different state fees, and SC was certainly at the low end there.

I'm not complaining, just stating what I've been told and what I've read.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
Are the State Championship game officials pre determined before the 12 get to the site? Or are they determined after the 12 work a game? Just curious how different it is in comparison to Indiana.
Well now we have 2 State Championship games during a weekend. Last year it was only one game, now we have two Championship games to accommodate the 4 class system that was added. But to answer your question, it is not determined at least to the officials until everyone works their first game. Then at the end of Friday, they tell the officials who is working what the next day.

Peace