The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   SC 4A Final - you make the call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42441-sc-4a-final-you-make-call.html)

ShadowStripes Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:22am

SC 4A Final - you make the call

Incredible finish. Watch the last minute.

http://videos.thestate.com/vmix_host...dia?id=1746223

jdw3018 Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:26am

I'm having trouble getting the video to play for some reason, but it certainly has been the talk in officiating circles around here. Tough ending to the game for one of the teams regardless of whether the call was right.

JoeTheRef Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
I'm having trouble getting the video to play for some reason, but it certainly has been the talk in officiating circles around here. Tough ending to the game for one of the teams regardless of whether the call was right.

Was there a previous thread on this? I couldn't see the video as well. Can somebody post the sitch?

ca_rumperee Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:30am

That was awesome.

Pretty good camera work for static, one shot angle.

ca_rumperee Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:34am

Green, up 2 with 1.7 seconds..

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Was there a previous thread on this? I couldn't see the video as well. Can somebody post the sitch?

...misses FT,
Looks to me like the clock started properly when White player grabbed rebound.
He takes one dribbe to the side and launches a herculean try from 75 feet and it goes!
Refs confer and wave off the shot. Green wins.

My first impression was that I heard the horn before the shot.
The camera gets jiggley from .4 seconds down to zero, so hard to say definitively.

jdw3018 Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTheRef

rumperee has it right...state championship game, Summerville up 2 misses a FT with 1.7 seconds left, ball is rebounded in lane, bit of action there, outlet, and then a 3/4-court shot goes. Officials get together to confer before waiving it off.

Quite a bit of controversy, and losing coach was fairly unsportsmanlike about it at the post-game ceremony, taking the runner-up trophy and slamming it down on the scorer's table then leaving with his team.

Pretty interesting, to say the least!

Gmoore Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:41am

Looks to me the officials made the correct call,If you watch the backboard behind the player you will see it turn red before he let the shot go.

grunewar Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:50am

Wow, incredible finish! From what I could see looks like a good, tough call. Agree, hard to tell though if the ball is out of the "shooter/thrower's" hand when the light goes on and horn sounds.

When it's tourney time, only one team wins the last game!

jdw3018 Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:54am

I'd also add, just from what I've been told, that many in attendance think there was a difference between the light on the board and the horn. No idea if that's fan-boy talk, but it's what I heard the day after from some officials around here.

Needless to say, that's a tough, tough call and an amazing ending to the ball game. Lots of good state final games here in SC this year.

Gimlet25id Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:04am

I have to agree!! That is a tough, tough play to get right. From the camera angle it does, "kinda," seem like the LED lights are on while the ball is in the shooters hand, maybe.

The horn almost sounds like it came after the shot. Who knows with the quality of the video feed. Since light travels faster then sound I could see where some would think they weren't synced.

Gimlet25id Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:10am

This looks like the same angle of the play but clearly shows the ball in the air before the LED lights come on. Take a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwkbjxUR1DE

socalreff Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar
Wow, incredible finish! From what I could see looks like a good, tough call. Agree, hard to tell though if the ball is out of the "shooter/thrower's" hand when the light goes on and horn sounds.

At first look, I thought he got it off. After 10 more looks I didn't change my mind. I've always been instructed that if you're not sure, you gotta count it. It looked to me like nobody was sure and they guessed. And if you're not sure, why not reward the great play so you can have a great story? :)

Adam Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:19am

Maybe we can generate 15 pages hounding these officials, making assumptions (ie "they guessed"), and second guessing these guys, who got assigned a state final game, on a play they had to decide on the spot without benefit of instant replay repeated over and over again in slow motion.

ca_rumperee Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:23am

Why think they guessed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalreff
At first look, I thought he got it off. After 10 more looks I didn't change my mind. I've always been instructed that if you're not sure, you gotta count it. It looked to me like nobody was sure and they guessed. And if you're not sure, why not reward the great play so you can have a great story? :)

I didn't see any footage of the referees making the call.
Or, is the assumption that, because they were caucusing, that they did not have a definitive 'no shot' amongst'em?

Surely, with 1.7 on the clock, they were prepared.

fullor30 Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar

From the video and having the luxury to replay over and over, I think it was a good call.