The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 02:58pm
Ch1town

My season is <sniff> over

This was my 2nd season patched (IAABO State) originally I got 17 varsity games in the draw (mostly girls) but I ended up doing 29 varsity games due to my daily grind. It became well known to assignors & area directors midway through the season that if I wasn't working, then I would be at the high caliber game of the night watching & taking notes. And I always stayed for the varsity game if I did the JV game. Apparently those things help!

My 1st time in the post season & I was blessed with the opportunity to work 3 BOYS games (2A & 3A boys Districts, 4A boys 2nd round).

I didn't get "the sweet 16 email" yesterday so I'm done... unfortunately

It seems as though each time I feel that I accomplish something in this avocation, I find reasons to keep pushing to get better.

I guess working the girls games (not that there's anything wrong with that) without any complaints during the regular season earned me the boys in the post season. So that's a plus!
I guess working the U2 position during the regular season without any complaints earned me the U1 position in the post season. Another plus!

So now I need to work harder this summer to earn the boys games in the regular season, earn the right to be an R & go deeper into the playoffs next year.

Special thanks to the board for assisting me in getting better!! I learned so much about game management, rules knowledge & unusual situations. I wouldn't have progressed the way I have without Officiating.com

JRut & JR I know we've had our moments but thanks for keeping me in line. I learned so much from you two!
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

congrat!
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
This was my 2nd season patched (IAABO State) originally I got 17 varsity games in the draw (mostly girls) but I ended up doing 29 varsity games due to my daily grind. It became well known to assignors & area directors midway through the season that if I wasn't working, then I would be at the high caliber game of the night watching & taking notes. And I always stayed for the varsity game if I did the JV game. Apparently those things help!

My 1st time in the post season & I was blessed with the opportunity to work 3 BOYS games (2A & 3A boys Districts, 4A boys 2nd round).

I didn't get "the sweet 16 email" yesterday so I'm done... unfortunately

It seems as though each time I feel that I accomplish something in this avocation, I find reasons to keep pushing to get better.

I guess working the girls games (not that there's anything wrong with that) without any complaints during the regular season earned me the boys in the post season. So that's a plus!
I guess working the U2 position during the regular season without any complaints earned me the U1 position in the post season. Another plus!

So now I need to work harder this summer to earn the boys games in the regular season, earn the right to be an R & go deeper into the playoffs next year.

Special thanks to the board for assisting me in getting better!! I learned so much about game management, rules knowledge & unusual situations. I wouldn't have progressed the way I have without Officiating.com

JRut & JR I know we've had our moments but thanks for keeping me in line. I learned so much from you two!
I suppose it's possible to be more patronizing and misogynistic, but I can't quite imagine you posting it and having it stay on this board. You've managed to insult pretty much everyone involved in women's and girls' basketball.

But, I'm the one that'll take the heat for writing this, not you for what you wrote.

Still, I need to just point it out. Not that arguing will change anything. But women and girls who read this board need to know that not everyone is as obnoxious as you about this subject. A lot of us know that belittling women's and girls' sports isn't manly, just very small-minded.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I suppose it's possible to be more patronizing and misogynistic, but I can't quite imagine you posting it and having it stay on this board. You've managed to insult pretty much everyone involved in women's and girls' basketball.

But, I'm the one that'll take the heat for writing this, not you for what you wrote.

Still, I need to just point it out. Not that arguing will change anything. But women and girls who read this board need to know that not everyone is as obnoxious as you about this subject. A lot of us know that belittling women's and girls' sports isn't manly, just very small-minded.
Juulie, I can't see any statement he made about girls ball except for the implication that officials in his area are given the chance at girls before they're given a shot at boys and that proving yourself at girls ball can earn you a boys game. That is not any different here...and probably not any different where the same officials pool work both boys and girls. That is not to say there aren't some absolutely great officials who concentrate on girls ball....just a fact of what is the typical advancement pattern. I really can't see how it is even remotely insulting or belittling.

He may have even implied he preferred boys ball. Given the choice, and ignoring secondary factors outside the game itself, how may officials (men or women) would chose to work the same level boys varsity game or state tournament over the girls? How may women officials want to work boys games? Why do they want to if the girls games are just as good?

You can wish all you want that all/more officials would like girls games just as much as boys games but you really have no right to tell others that it is wrong to prefer one over the other or that they can't state their preferences.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 08:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Every time someone does not take a glowing stand for working girl's basketball, you take it personally. The reality is many people do not like girl's basketball. Women's basketball is a money loser on most college campuses. It is a money loser on TV, which is why they seem to only show the top teams on TV and not the many, middle of the road teams you see on ESPN or Fox. I am sure there are small places in this country where girl's and Women's basketball is seen as higher and on par with boy's and Men's basketball. But that is not the case in most cases and every time someone says they would rather work a Boy's game, you make it sound like they are the worst person in the world. This is why I am glad I can choose or I would focus more on college ball that would make it clear I would have to choose anyway. Believe me, if you change the topic to baseball and softball, I do not see many people belittling working softball. It is not just about gender.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Other than where you stand during warmups, and responsibilities during the jump ball, can you explain to me the big difference between U2 and U1?
One word........ Bono
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 09:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down This is the comment Juulie should have been upset about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I've posted a lot of lame humor on this board, but never anything that would make light of the plight of abused women. This just plain wasn't funny. I know you meant it as a joke, but the presentation was objectionable.
I would like to echo that sentiment. It really was not funny.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Every time someone does not take a glowing stand for working girl's basketball, you take it personally. The reality is many people do not like girl's basketball. Women's basketball is a money loser on most college campuses. It is a money loser on TV, which is why they seem to only show the top teams on TV and not the many, middle of the road teams you see on ESPN or Fox. I am sure there are small places in this country where girl's and Women's basketball is seen as higher and on par with boy's and Men's basketball. But that is not the case in most cases and every time someone says they would rather work a Boy's game, you make it sound like they are the worst person in the world. This is why I am glad I can choose or I would focus more on college ball that would make it clear I would have to choose anyway. Believe me, if you change the topic to baseball and softball, I do not see many people belittling working softball. It is not just about gender.

Peace

Rut...... can't follow this. Just asking.

"This is why I am glad I can choose or I would focus more on college ball that would make it clear I would have to choose anyway"
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

So... your womanhood is somehow insulted and your response is to attack his manhood... all in the name of sexual equality of course.

Put me down in the obnoxious column please... and the column for just plain tired of "us vs them" politics.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

My objection to the OP isn't that he doesn't like working women's games. I know there are officials that don't like it, and while I certainly don't agree (I like women's games), they're entitled to their opinion.

My objection was to the belittling of women's sports: boys' games are somehow a "reward" for doing girls' games, and we need to "move up through" the girls -ugh!- to get to the good stuff, and only the good refs get boys' games. The fact of the matter is that there is good reffing, and it applies to girls games, and it applies to boys games. If his association really does set up their structure such that the sentences he said are just part of life in his area, then some coaches need to sue. It's just plain illegal.

And, Camron, the main reason I want to do boys' games is for variety. I would NOT want to do only boys. There are boys games that are faster, scores tend to go higher than girls, and that's fun. But there aren't many (if any) boys games that are better than Southridge/Central Catholic girls, unless a person just likes boys play better. For me, it's not a boy/girl thing, it's just variety. I like doing some of each.

ALso because if I don't do some boys' games every season, there are four tournaments for which I"m not eligible. I really would like to change that, but until it gets adjusted, I need to get some boys games every year, so that I can get to Pendleton someday.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
So... your womanhood is somehow insulted and your response is to attack his manhood... all in the name of sexual equality of course.

Put me down in the obnoxious column please... and the column for just plain tired of "us vs them" politics.
Actually, it's not my womanhood that was insulted, and I didn't attack his manhood. And you were already in my obnoxioux column a long, long time ago.

This has nothing at all to do with us vs them. You personally (gender irrelevant) just don't get it. Period.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Actually, it's not my womanhood that was insulted, and I didn't attack his manhood. And you were already in my obnoxioux column a long, long time ago.

This has nothing at all to do with us vs them. You personally (gender irrelevant) just don't get it. Period.
Puh-leeze.

Why don't you step away from the keyboard, have your Hillary moment and come back when you have something just a tad more weighty to offer the community than "you just don't get it".

We'll wait, don't worry.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 09:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Rut...... can't follow this. Just asking.

"This is why I am glad I can choose or I would focus more on college ball that would make it clear I would have to choose anyway"
What do you want to know?

Peace
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Puh-leeze.

Why don't you step away from the keyboard, have your Hillary moment and come back when you have something just a tad more weighty to offer the community than "you just don't get it".

We'll wait, don't worry.
"You just don't get it" wasn't something to "offer the community". It was personal. Next time I'll send a PM, so you don't get confused. BTW, I have a much nicer voice than Hillary.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
My objection was to the belittling of women's sports: boys' games are somehow a "reward" for doing girls' games, and we need to "move up through" the girls -ugh!- to get to the good stuff, and only the good refs get boys' games. The fact of the matter is that there is good reffing, and it applies to girls games, and it applies to boys games. If his association really does set up their structure such that the sentences he said are just part of life in his area, then some coaches need to sue. It's just plain illegal.
He did not make any comments about other women's sports in general. He made comments about girl's basketball. And whether you like it or not, basketball is the only sport that I can think of that runs both genders at the same time in most jurisdictions. Volleyball officials for example do not have to choose which gender to work on the same night as many officials might have to during the basketball season. And whether you also want to admit it or not, many coaches and officials are not required the same level of experience to coach or officiate those games at the high school level. I have seen many coaches regardless of gender barely have any experience and they are given the head coaching job. And definitely that is the case when it comes to officials. Even at the college level many officials do not have extensive experience under their belts and they have been given an opportunity to work even post season assignments at the lower level college ranks. I know my first varsity game was given to me was on the girl's side and I was told repeatedly (by even woman ADs) that they did not see me as ready to work boy's games early in my career even though they would give me girl's varsity games at the same school. And I am sure one of the main reasons for that is girl’s games did not bring the same scrutiny to that school as the boy’s team did. Even the very good girl’s teams are not as highly covered or attended as some very middle of the road teams. I am sure that is not unique to where I live.

Quote:
ALso because if I don't do some boys' games every season, there are four tournaments for which I"m not eligible. I really would like to change that, but until it gets adjusted, I need to get some boys games every year, so that I can get to Pendleton someday.
That sounds like a structural issue in your area and might not even be an issue where other people live. In my area you work get post season only based on what level you work. If you never work girl's games, you are not elgible for working girl's post season and vise versa.

Peace
Closed Thread