The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Inbound bounce pass question

I've had this happen a couple times in games and didn't call anything. Looked for it later in my rule book but couldn't find a ruling, but I know the experts here can help me on this one.

When a player is inbounding the ball and uses a bounce bass to get the ball to his teammate in play, is it okay if the bounce pass lands on the endline or the sideline and is then grabbed by someone in play?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 03:55pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblehman
I've had this happen a couple times in games and didn't call anything. Looked for it later in my rule book but couldn't find a ruling, but I know the experts here can help me on this one.

When a player is inbounding the ball and uses a bounce bass to get the ball to his teammate in play, is it okay if the bounce pass lands on the endline or the sideline and is then grabbed by someone in play?
No. The game of basketball is played within the bounds of the playing surface. Try looking under Rule 9 - Violations.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I believe they have those in TN near the rubber plants...

but seriously, that is a violation.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

From 06-07 rules
Rule 7: Out of Bounds and the Throw-in
Section 6: Throw-in Administration
Article 1

Art. 1... The throw-in starts when the ball is at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to the throw-in. The thrower shall release the ball on a pass directly into the court, except as in 7-5-7, within five seconds after the throw-in starts. The throw-in pass shall touch another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched. The throw-in pass shall not touch a teammate while it is on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in boundary plane.

Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, fellas. That's what I thought. I don't have my rule book with me here at work, so I'm looking for an example in my case book. At any rate, I now know for sure it's a violation.

Follow-up:
After a made basket by Team A, B1 can grab the ball and throw it to B2 who is also out of bounds on the end line, and B2 can then legally inbound it. But after a stoppage of play, this cannot be done. Am I correct?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks, fellas. That's what I thought. I don't have my rule book with me here at work, so I'm looking for an example in my case book. At any rate, I now know for sure it's a violation.

Follow-up:
After a made basket by Team A, B1 can grab the ball and throw it to B2 who is also out of bounds on the end line, and B2 can then legally inbound it. But after a stoppage of play, this cannot be done. Am I correct?
If stoppage of play is because of a time out or as described below and the throw-in is still the endline, Team B retains this priviledge.

Rule 7-5-7
Art. 7... After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
If stoppage of play is because of a time out or as described below and the throw-in is still the endline, Team B retains this priviledge.

Rule 7-5-7
Art. 7... After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line.
So, basically, if the inbounding team retains the privilege of running the baseline, they can also pass it to a teammate out of bounds first. Is that limited to one out-of-bounds pass?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So, basically, if the inbounding team retains the privilege of running the baseline, they can also pass it to a teammate out of bounds first. Is that limited to one out-of-bounds pass?
You won't find a limit in the rule book.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

As Snaqwells said; no limit other than 5 seconds to throw-in to a player inbounds. They can pass it to all 5 players OOBs and then to anyone of the 5 in bounds, as long as it is within the 5 second count.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Can a player from team B reach across the endline (keeping his feet "in-bounds") and steal the ball while Team A passes the ball to each other? Is this action considered "passing" or part of the inbound process?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockitoff
Can a player from team B reach across the endline (keeping his feet "in-bounds") and steal the ball while Team A passes the ball to each other? Is this action considered "passing" or part of the inbound process?
No this would be a "T" Rule 9-2-11 Pen.3
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

To cause further thought...

For our newer forum members.....

What if B1 reaches across the boundary line and fouls the inbounder? What is the call?

Adding to the "What if".... the foul occurs during an Alt. Possession throw-in?
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 08:16am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
Interesting links. Does one normally have to pay to access the rules this way?
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Interesting links. Does one normally have to pay to access the rules this way?
You have to belong to the NFOA. If you're in a "100% participation state", then you're automatically a member.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 08:47am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Some formatting errors during this thread.