The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Inbound bounce pass question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41530-inbound-bounce-pass-question.html)

kblehman Thu Jan 31, 2008 03:54pm

Inbound bounce pass question

I've had this happen a couple times in games and didn't call anything. Looked for it later in my rule book but couldn't find a ruling, but I know the experts here can help me on this one.

When a player is inbounding the ball and uses a bounce bass to get the ball to his teammate in play, is it okay if the bounce pass lands on the endline or the sideline and is then grabbed by someone in play?

JugglingReferee Thu Jan 31, 2008 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kblehman
I've had this happen a couple times in games and didn't call anything. Looked for it later in my rule book but couldn't find a ruling, but I know the experts here can help me on this one.

When a player is inbounding the ball and uses a bounce bass to get the ball to his teammate in play, is it okay if the bounce pass lands on the endline or the sideline and is then grabbed by someone in play?

No. The game of basketball is played within the bounds of the playing surface. Try looking under Rule 9 - Violations.

jcarter Thu Jan 31, 2008 04:05pm

Quote:

I believe they have those in TN near the rubber plants...:eek:

but seriously, that is a violation.

Splute Thu Jan 31, 2008 04:06pm

Quote:

From 06-07 rules
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=14></TD><TD width=14>http://nfhs.eofficials.com/nfhs/images/dirtree.gif</TD><TD class=nfhsMainFtSmBld vAlign=bottom align=left width="100%" colSpan=3>Rule 7: Out of Bounds and the Throw-in</TD></TR><TR><TD width=14> </TD><TD width=14> </TD><TD width=14>http://nfhs.eofficials.com/nfhs/images/dirtree.gif</TD><TD class=nfhsMainFtSmBld vAlign=bottom align=left width="100%" colSpan=2>Section 6: Throw-in Administration</TD></TR><TR><TD width=14> </TD><TD width=14> </TD><TD width=14> </TD><TD width=14>http://nfhs.eofficials.com/nfhs/images/dirtree.gif</TD><TD class=nfhsMainFtSmBld vAlign=bottom align=left width="100%">Article 1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=4 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=nfhsMainFtMd vAlign=top colSpan=6>Art. 1... The throw-in starts when the ball is at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to the throw-in. The thrower shall release the ball on a pass directly into the court, except as in 7-5-7, within five seconds after the throw-in starts. The throw-in pass shall touch another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched. The throw-in pass shall not touch a teammate while it is on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in boundary plane.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=nfhsMainFtMd vAlign=top noWrap>

</TD><TD class=nfhsMainFtMd vAlign=center noWrap align=left colSpan=5></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

kblehman Thu Jan 31, 2008 04:14pm

Thanks, fellas. That's what I thought. I don't have my rule book with me here at work, so I'm looking for an example in my case book. At any rate, I now know for sure it's a violation.

Follow-up:
After a made basket by Team A, B1 can grab the ball and throw it to B2 who is also out of bounds on the end line, and B2 can then legally inbound it. But after a stoppage of play, this cannot be done. Am I correct?

Splute Thu Jan 31, 2008 04:42pm

Quote:

Thanks, fellas. That's what I thought. I don't have my rule book with me here at work, so I'm looking for an example in my case book. At any rate, I now know for sure it's a violation.

Follow-up:
After a made basket by Team A, B1 can grab the ball and throw it to B2 who is also out of bounds on the end line, and B2 can then legally inbound it. But after a stoppage of play, this cannot be done. Am I correct?

If stoppage of play is because of a time out or as described below and the throw-in is still the endline, Team B retains this priviledge.

Rule 7-5-7
<TABLE cellSpacing=4 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=nfhsMainFtMd vAlign=top colSpan=6>Art. 7... After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

kblehman Thu Jan 31, 2008 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splute
If stoppage of play is because of a time out or as described below and the throw-in is still the endline, Team B retains this priviledge.

Rule 7-5-7
<TABLE cellSpacing=4 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=nfhsMainFtMd vAlign=top colSpan=6>Art. 7... After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the throw-in ends and before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

So, basically, if the inbounding team retains the privilege of running the baseline, they can also pass it to a teammate out of bounds first. Is that limited to one out-of-bounds pass?

Adam Thu Jan 31, 2008 04:46pm

Quote:

So, basically, if the inbounding team retains the privilege of running the baseline, they can also pass it to a teammate out of bounds first. Is that limited to one out-of-bounds pass?

You won't find a limit in the rule book.

Splute Thu Jan 31, 2008 04:54pm

As Snaqwells said; no limit other than 5 seconds to throw-in to a player inbounds. They can pass it to all 5 players OOBs and then to anyone of the 5 in bounds, as long as it is within the 5 second count.

knockitoff Thu Jan 31, 2008 09:34pm

Can a player from team B reach across the endline (keeping his feet "in-bounds") and steal the ball while Team A passes the ball to each other? Is this action considered "passing" or part of the inbound process?

Gimlet25id Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by knockitoff
Can a player from team B reach across the endline (keeping his feet "in-bounds") and steal the ball while Team A passes the ball to each other? Is this action considered "passing" or part of the inbound process?

No this would be a "T" Rule 9-2-11 Pen.3

williebfree Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:10pm

To cause further thought...

For our newer forum members.....

What if B1 reaches across the boundary line and fouls the inbounder? What is the call?

Adding to the "What if".... the foul occurs during an Alt. Possession throw-in?

Scrapper1 Fri Feb 01, 2008 08:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splute
From 06-07 rules
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=14></TD><TD width=14>http://nfhs.eofficials.com/nfhs/images/dirtree.gif</TD><TD class=nfhsMainFtSmBld vAlign=bottom align=left width="100%" colSpan=3>Rule 7: Out of Bounds and the Throw-in</TD></TR><TR><TD width=14> </TD><TD width=14> </TD><TD width=14>http://nfhs.eofficials.com/nfhs/images/dirtree.gif</TD><TD class=nfhsMainFtSmBld vAlign=bottom align=left width="100%" colSpan=2>Section 6: Throw-in Administration</TD></TR><TR><TD width=14> </TD><TD width=14> </TD><TD width=14> </TD><TD width=14>http://nfhs.eofficials.com/nfhs/images/dirtree.gif</TD><TD class=nfhsMainFtSmBld vAlign=bottom align=left width="100%">Article 1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=4 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=nfhsMainFtMd vAlign=top colSpan=6>

Interesting links. Does one normally have to pay to access the rules this way?

bob jenkins Fri Feb 01, 2008 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Interesting links. Does one normally have to pay to access the rules this way?

You have to belong to the NFOA. If you're in a "100% participation state", then you're automatically a member.

JugglingReferee Fri Feb 01, 2008 08:47am

Some formatting errors during this thread.