The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 07:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Check Out page 46 ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I think you are confusing throw-in responsibility with out-of-bound violation coverage responsibility. The IAABO mechanics on pages 44 and 45 of the IAABO H.S. Handbook refer to throw-in resposibilities not out-of-bound violation converage repsonsibility. MTD, Sr.
Mark T DeNucci, Sr.: I was actually referring to page 46 of the IAABO Manual, "OPTION: Line Coverage Above Free Throw Line Extended". I don't like this mechanic. In transition, i.e. fast break, press break; the lead should have the entire line, as he, or she, did with the old NFHS mechanics. As the lead, in a half court situation, using the old NFHS mechanics, I seldom had problems covering the entire line into the backcourt, and when I did, I would go to my partner for help. Worse case scenerio, alternating possession arrow. There are even worse scenerios with the page 46 mechanics, like difficult transition coverage. Also, if the ball goes out of bounds at the free throw line extended, we could have no whistle, or even worse, two whistles. With two whistles on fouls, or violations, in the "paint", we veterans have no problems delaying our preliminary signal until we make eye contact with our partner, thus avoiding the infamouis "blarge". But we veterans are also used to giving immediate signals on out of bounds calls, so in a worse case scenerio, using the mechanics on page 46, we could have one official calling "white" and the other official "blue". What really kills me, is that even tough it says "Option", there isn't any other boundary line coverage mentioned anywhere in the manual, either in diagram form, or a written description, which means that if a new official is told to use the manual, that's all he, or she, will learn.

Page 44 is fairly reasonable. Page 45, on the other hand, is poorly drawn and/or worded. Note that the caption doesn't mention the ball going out of bounds, while the diagram clearly shows a throwin situation. If you read the caption, it describes a rotation, similar the a three man rotation, but based on the movement of the trail, not the lead.

Check out page 49. The old official-ball-official boxing in principle was so, so easy to administer, and teach to new officials.

Why change. IAABO uses NFHS rules. Why can't we use NFHS mechanics?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 27, 2008 at 08:16pm.