The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

How do you handle this situation.

Last night during a freshman game I'm in trail and on the table side. A1 has ball free throw line extended half way between lane and side line. B1 cleanly knocks ball out of A1 hand and the ball goes down and hits A1 on the foot and rolls out of bounds. I clearly see this like I was standing right next to them. In fact I'm so sure of it I turn to start down the court to take my place as lead.

Partner with 10 years of experience gives the ball to team A saying the B knocked it out of bounds. I blew my whistle and got together with my partner to tell him what I had seen and he was very much did not want to hear anything I had to say. I now return to my trail position and play resumes. Keep in mind team B coach pretty much has the same angle on this play that I do and wants an explanation on what happened.

How do you handle this with your partner and then how would you handle it with the coach. In my mind my partner very much blew this call. This only being my first year I'm not 100% on to handle this with a partner that has a lot more experience then I do

Thanks Guys and Gals

Andrew
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Was it your line or his line?
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

It was his line. I understand where you are going this this but it was one of those calls that everyone knew what the correct call was. I also understand that we don't always get them all right. My point being is that he didn't want to hear anything I had to say about it.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

If it's his line, you can offer what you saw, but it's still his call. Direct the coach's questions to your partner.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Was it your line or his line?
3 man, baseline is lead's, primary, right? Play is high in the Cs primary passed ball is slightly deflected off of player above free throw line, exiting the court on the baseline. Lead makes signal you as C know is wrong, you go to him and give him the information he still want to stick to his call. Do you "just let it go" when you know it is wrong just because it is "his line"?
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:24am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach
Do you "just let it go" when you know it is wrong just because it is "his line"?
What's your other choice? Rock, paper, scissors at midcourt?

That was too flippant. Sorry. Some people recommend saying something like, "I'm 100% sure it's white ball, and I will take full responsibility for the call if the supervisor is called."

But if that's not good enough, you can't just stand there and argue about it for 5 minutes.

Last edited by Scrapper1; Fri Jan 25, 2008 at 11:26am.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:25am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
If it's his line, you can offer what you saw, but it's still his call. Direct the coach's questions to your partner.
Bingo.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

You've heard the best answers. You did all you could do. Ultimately it is your partner's call. Good to see another Iowan around. What area do you work?
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:32am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Concur. You offered to correct it based on what you saw. He declined. His call. Defer to him. If coach wants explanantion - it's his. Walk away and put it in your kit bag for when you're senior and the same thing happens to you.......and you hopefully handle it differently. As was stated, ya can't argue it. Let it go.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Junker,

I'm working in central Iowa mostly lower level CIML stuff. All two man. What about yourself?
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Same, but not lower level. We are off to Fort Dodge tonight. Waukee is the visitor. Are you a 1st year guy or have you been around for a while? We might have worked together. If you have questions or anything my email is on the Metro website. It'll be pretty easy to find me under the J's.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Junker you have mail.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 04:00pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa_official
Last night during a freshman game I'm in trail and on the table side. A1 has ball free throw line extended half way between lane and side line. B1 cleanly knocks ball out of A1 hand and the ball goes down and hits A1 on the foot and rolls out of bounds. I clearly see this like I was standing right next to them. In fact I'm so sure of it I turn to start down the court to take my place as lead.

Partner with 10 years of experience gives the ball to team A saying the B knocked it out of bounds. I blew my whistle and got together with my partner to tell him what I had seen and he was very much did not want to hear anything I had to say. I now return to my trail position and play resumes. Keep in mind team B coach pretty much has the same angle on this play that I do and wants an explanation on what happened.

How do you handle this with your partner and then how would you handle it with the coach. In my mind my partner very much blew this call. This only being my first year I'm not 100% on to handle this with a partner that has a lot more experience then I do

Thanks Guys and Gals

Andrew

Andrew:

It was the Lead's sideline and according to you he was the only one that saw the play differently. I had a play earlier this month with my son. I was T opposite the Table. He was L table side. A rebound came off to my side and the ball went out of bounds on his endline. From my angle it looked like it went off V1 and the crowd thought the same way. But none of us had the angle he did and he gave it to Team H. From his angle he might have seen it differently than you and unless you are 200% sure, then let him live by his call. I was not 200% sure so I let my son's call stand. Remember the game is about angles most of the time.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Concur. You offered to correct it based on what you saw. He declined. His call. Defer to him. If coach wants explanantion - it's his. Walk away and put it in your kit bag .
This is how you handle it regardless of the relative amount of experience. If you both have 25 years experience, and you've worked NBA and he hasn't, you still can't override him. You can only offer your own perspective (and only if you're 100% certain, as you were) and then let him decide what to do with that info. You did it right, and overall handled the whole thing better than partner did. Good job!
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

I want to make sure of what I have read so far

Ball is at FT line extended... Was it above or below?
Ball goes out of bounds at lead's sideline.

In games around here if it is above FT kine extended the sideline is trail's first shot...

We would be pregaming it... but it may be Trail's calll