The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Official stops clock for injury

NFHS rules. There was a player on the floor with a minor injury and the ref blew the whistle to stop play. The player then got up and said he was fine. The coach was never beckoned onto the floor. Can the player stay in the game without a time out being taken?

I thought he had to come out of the game or take a time out, but the ref said, I "thought" he was injured. Essentially telling me inadvertent whistle.
Correct ruling?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

I believe he can stay without taking a TO in so long as the coach is not beckoned onto the floor. If the coach comes out to the floor, then the player must sit out until the next dead ball or the coach can request a TO and he may come back in the game.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 01:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill
Can the player stay in the game without a time out being taken?
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill
I thought he had to come out of the game or take a time out, but the ref said, I "thought" he was injured. Essentially telling me inadvertent whistle.
Correct ruling?
It is not an inadvertent whistle. Officials can stop the game on their own for many reasons. This is one of them. The officials have the right to stop the game for what is an apparent injury. This is the judgment of the officials. And in this case the player is allowed to stay in the game if the appear to be OK.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

A player who can immediately get up and be ready to play may stay in as long as the coach isn't beckoned and/or comes out. 3-3-5
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Me personally, if a player is on the floor like he is injured and he/she is the defensive player, I'm not blowing the whistle unless there are other players around the injured player or there is a possiblity that that person can get hurt or others can get hurt, or if I see that the player is seriously hurt then I will kill the play immediately. I will then blow the whistle when the hurt player's team gains control.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Me personally, if a player is on the floor like he is injured and he/she is the defensive player, I'm not blowing the whistle unless there are other players around the injured player or there is a possiblity that that person can get hurt or others can get hurt, or if I see that the player is seriously hurt then I will kill the play immediately. I will then blow the whistle when the hurt player's team gains control.
This is not a personal thing that is the way the rule reads to some extent. And in the example given, the coach did not comment about who was on offense or defense. And when a player is injured you are not supposed to stop a fast break but you can stop play if action has slowed down.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This is not a personal thing that is the way the rule reads to some extent. And in the example given, the coach did not comment about who was on offense or defense. And when a player is injured you are not supposed to stop a fast break but you can stop play if action has slowed down.

Peace
I didn't know it was a rule. Somebody must've taught me well. I am definitely going to try and find it tonight when I get home.

I seriously didn't know that was in the book. With that said, I got a 97, 96 & 100 on my NFHS closed book test over the last 3 seasons and an 88 on my first NCAA test this year. I say this because my biggest fear is that I'm going to kick a rule to the point that it determines the outcome of a game. Do you guys often have this in the back of your mind? Also, when somebody asks me a rules question, sometimes I give them the answer right off the top of my head, but there is some doubt, but when I go back and look up my answer, I've usually given the correct answer. It's the doubting that concerns me. When does that time come when you just know that you know the darn rules without doubt, sort of like Nevada and Jurassic? And I say that with all due respect.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Read 5-8-2 Note. This clearly spells it out.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Here it is:

Note: When a player is injured as in Art. 2(a), the official may suspend play after the ball is dead or is in control of the injured player’s team or when the opponents complete a play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal) or withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position. When necessary to protect an injured player, the official may immediately suspend play.

I have always interpreted "withholds the ball from play by ceasing to attempt to score or advance the ball to a scoring position" to mean that if the opponents are not actually taking the ball directly(ish) toward the basket, they are not advancing the ball to a scoring position. So if the dribbler turns away from the basket, it the opponents start to pass it around the perimeter, or essentially take any action that isn't "taking it to the hole," I'll go ahead and stop play if the player appears to be injured.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace

This happened in a state sectional final a few years ago, fast break and team had numbers, defensive trailing player falls to floor with a twisted ankle right next to trail official in back court. Whistle blows, everyone freezes and looks backcourt as player slowly gets up. Bad call.......... Ref has said he'd take the heat for an injured player anytime, IMHO, not willing to admit he kicked it.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
When does that time come when you just know that you know the darn rules without doubt, sort of like Nevada and Jurassic? And I say that with all due respect.
Nevada makes most of his sh1t up but Jurassic is the sh1t.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
This happened in a state sectional final a few years ago, fast break and team had numbers, defensive trailing player falls to floor with a twisted ankle right next to trail official in back court. Whistle blows, everyone freezes and looks backcourt as player slowly gets up. Bad call.......... Ref has said he'd take the heat for an injured player anytime, IMHO, not willing to admit he kicked it.
After all there is some judgment in play here. But many officials do not know the rule either. One of the very first real debates I ever had online with a group of officials was over this rule. H@!!, there are officials that want to stop the game because a shoelace is untied.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Nevada makes most of his sh1t up but Jurassic is the sh1t.
I have to agree. I just did not want to be the first to say that.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=JRutledge]After all there is some judgment in play here. But many officials do not know the rule either. One of the very first real debates I ever had online with a group of officials was over this rule. H@!!, there are officials that want to stop the game because a shoelace is untied.

Peace[/QUOTE

Amen............ every case is different, but this one was just bad judgement.

At no time was this player in imminent danger from the action nor did it require immediate stoppage of play for health concerns on player.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Quote:
After all there is some judgment in play here. But many officials do not know the rule either. One of the very first real debates I ever had online with a group of officials was over this rule. H@!!, there are officials that want to stop the game because a shoelace is untied.
Amen............ every case is different, but this one was just bad judgement.

At no time was this player in imminent danger from the action nor did it require immediate stoppage of play for health concerns on player.
You saw the play I did not. It is clear that many officials clearly stop play anytime someone breaks a nail.

Peace