The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Timing Error - NCAA-W - Clock stops during play

Question I should, but obviously don't, know the answer to. Last night in the Kansas State vs. Wyoming Women's NIT Semi game at the end of regulation WY was trying to score to tie. During a loose ball scrum, the clock stopped at 7.3 seconds for a couple seconds, then started again and WY made a shot close to the buzzer for the tie.

Officials conferred but nothing was changed and on to OT. My question - how to handle a stoppage of the clock like that if the officials become aware of it after time has expired. Could the officials use a stopwatch and monitor to determine how much time should have come off, compare that to when the shot went up and call the game if the shot wouldn't have counted?
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

I think what you describe is a situation where one of us (three) should be aware of the clock at all times. I believe the officials could have went to the stop watch and monitor and corrected the time if they had definite knowledge of the stoppage. The approach they probably took since no one had definite knowledge on when the clock stopped, and the basket was scored close to or at the horn. Let's, play overtime and get out of here.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

What is it about the Garden the NIT and timming errors. (remember last year there were a couple of serious timing problems in the NIT.

I think that with a monitor they should have used it if they knew there was a timing error especially if it was a couple of seconds.

I do not see how they can justify letting a shot go off much less score if that is an accurate description " a couple of seconds" as it effects the outcome of the game.
I think that they will hear about that one.
I also think it is probably more contriversial than the supposed travel.
I am going to go to the book and see what I can find.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 12:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

For the record......

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
What is it about the Garden the NIT and timming errors. (remember last year there were a couple of serious timing problems in the NIT.
The WNIT is not played and the Madison Square Garden. It is played at host schools that are currently in the tournament.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Question I should, but obviously don't, know the answer to. Last night in the Kansas State vs. Wyoming Women's NIT Semi game at the end of regulation WY was trying to score to tie. During a loose ball scrum, the clock stopped at 7.3 seconds for a couple seconds, then started again and WY made a shot close to the buzzer for the tie.

Officials conferred but nothing was changed and on to OT. My question - how to handle a stoppage of the clock like that if the officials become aware of it after time has expired. Could the officials use a stopwatch and monitor to determine how much time should have come off, compare that to when the shot went up and call the game if the shot wouldn't have counted?
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that they could have gone to the monitor and used a stopwatch to see how much time elapsed when the clock was stopped. However, it would be tough to wave off a shot that was taken by a player who shoots in time according to the clock she sees. Interesting dilemma. I know for sure if it was a shot clock situation, they could negate the basket and call a violation. For example, an erroneous reset of the shot clock and the player thinks he has more time, the officials can call a violation if they know the clock should have expired. I believe it's the same for the game clock failing to start properly.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Even if, by rule, they could review the time on a video replay and declare a made bakset invalid, I think it is an absolutlely horrible and unjust result.

The team with the ball may or may not have known that the clock paused and they would likely not know for how long. They likely planned to shoot with 1 second on the clock but didn't constantly watch the clock. For them to work for that shot only to have it waived off simply doesn't make sense.

Likewise, the defense had to defend for that extra time. Also not fair.

We can't say with any certainty that the shot would or would not be made in time if the clock hadn't paused.

The ball was shot with time showing on the clock. While the rules do allow them to go to the monitor to make a clock correction or to see if a shot is released before the time expires, I'm not sure that it allows the correction of the clock AND the retroactive declaration that a shot would have been after the buzzer if the clock hadn't paused.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 04:35pm.