The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Heard a good one from a partner this weekedn. The monkey was howling on and on about every little call, and no-call, and finally partner puts up the stop sign. Coach stops in mid-sentence. Partner says, "Oh, go ahead and finish your sentence." Coach does!! (This proves that this coach, at least, is an idiot!) He lets his spleen sort of vent out. Partner says, "Okay, there. That's it. Now we've heard enough." I'm dying down on the baseline...
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 11:17am
Esteemed Participant

That's a pretty well-trained monkey...was this at the Mt. View tourny?? Had a coach there Sat. morning pull a dumb one...this was HS boys Varsity...each team got 2 full and 2 30 sec. t.o.'s per game...coach who is down by 15 uses two in first half...with about 7 min. to go in 2nd, he uses another...I report it and then tell him he has only one left (just a courtesy call)...at the 5:47 mark, he calls another...I reprt it, and then tell him he has no timeouts left - he thanks me...at 3:19, he calls another...I blow the whistle, grant the time-out, and inform him that it will be a T...he starts yelling and I kid you not - "Wait a minute. He said I still had one left!!" while pointing at - get ready now - THE OTHER COACH!!! Apparently, after I told him he had none left, he turned to the other coach and said "Is that right?" and the other coach told him "No, I think you have one left"...and he believed the other coach...sigh...
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Rocky,
Just goes to show you that every time you try to make something idiot proof, somebody invents a better idiot.
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
"Wait a minute. He said I still had one left!!" while pointing at - get ready now - THE OTHER COACH!!!
One of the few NCAA games I did this season, the visiting asst. asked his scorer, who said that the visitors would get the ball coming out of halftime. When he then notices that I have the arrow toward the home team, he yells that his book has it right, to which we had to remind him that the home book is official.

Damn coaches . . .
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
That's a pretty well-trained monkey...was this at the Mt. View tourny??
It was Mt View. The guy who did it was Waterman. The howler monkey was from Franklin in Portland. He is legendary in our Association. Anyone who gets through a Franklin game without throwing a T or tossing this guy, gets recognized at the banquet... okay I'm exaggerating, but I guess he's the best reason for me to be glad I'll be doing girls this winter.
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Maybe we can come up with a yield sign mechanic! That way they know they can finish their sentence!

AK ref SE