The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I don't think you really read my post. I did get out of the coach's path when he was leaving. Not only did he change his path, he stopped and kept running his mouth. As far as the assistant goes, I trust my partner - try it sometime. If my partner said the coach earned the T, knowing everything else that happened, that is what happened. We can't always get out of harm's way.
Why make a snide comment? I was asking you questions. I did not know if the coach had to cross the floor to leave or not. If he had to cross the floor to the opposite corner to leave, on the same side you were standing, could you have gotten farther away? That's all I was wondering.

Also, once your partner whistles anything, there is no more "trust your partner" issue. It's a done deal. It's sad that this got anywhere near that point, and you're unhappy about it for whatever reason. I'd venture to guess that at that point in time, asking/telling the assistant anything would be awfully tough to do without eliciting some reaction. Whether it is right or not, or he deserves another T--cannot argue against it.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 08:23pm
Huck Finn

Oracle, my only sadness is for the game of basketball and the fact that it was reduced to this. The rating system is a joke that I often vent about. I know I will never be the most liked official by coaches because I'm going to do what's right and unfortunately that often means situations like this occur. I had this team last year and those two were idiots then to although not to this extreme. We all know they didn't pick the two times I've had them to act like this. This is normal for them and many officials probably let it go. I'm almost sure they let it go because in this state you get fined for getting thrown out and I believe a T too. I was told it will cost the coach $300 for this one.
I made the comment I did because you (Oracle) must not have read my OP. I got out of his direct path. That should have been good enough. It wasn't a pot shot while he was walking out, he had to change his path and he stopped. I'm not going all the way in to the backcourt just to get away from him more. Everyone in the facility saw how this played out. I'm good with the T(s) and I haven't heard much else about them.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoInZebra
Just to consider another, albeit extreme, option....at what point would you consider just ending the game? Once the HC is ejected if he refuses to leave and still wants to chase you down and provide commentary, he has failed to comply with the penalty for a technical foul.

I guess my point is the technical fouls were not helping the game and even continuous issuance didn't get things calmed down. Was there any thought process to going that extra step?
It's been in my experince that the unbiased sheriffs dept deputy, or constable officer will usually help the coach find the door. now if its a dedicated school cop, they might be unwilling.

I worked a game last saturday where the coach was extremely unhappy with one of my co-officials, and he was waiting for us at the table with some some feedback on how well we were doing. a deputy helped him find his locker room. (no t's or anything, he was just upset that he was getting his butt kicked)
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Good job of taking care of bidness, Tom. You know that you did what you had to do. If more officials would, there might be fewer coaches around like this clown.
I agree. If we all just clamped down I think it'd make for a better game for everyone.

Youth coach this weekend was beginning to call a heck of a game from the sidelines. I warned him to stop. Next trip down the court he called a travel, which we in the actual stripes didn't call. Although I appreciated his keen observation skills, I administered a "T" anyways. He then said, "I deserved that one," then sat down and concentrated on coaching his team for the rest of the game.

I've worked with a few partners that seem to believe that tolerating comments or abuse from coaches without administering a technical is demonstrating good game management. I disagree. It makes it harder on the rest of us.

Unsure what it's like in the rest of the world, but I'd like to see training for newer officials on what should and shouldn't be tolerated and how to respond appropriately.

As an aside, I had another coach calling a great game in the same youth tourney. As we apparently switched roles, I switched his team of 6th graders out of a full court press into a two-three zone and just packed the lane. During halftime I taught them how to get in an athletic guarding position and move their feet...just kidding, Oracle. We rocked in the second half and I jumped all over the coach about the calls he missed.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
I'd not have known that the assistant, who would now be the head coach, would have the seat-belt rule.
I'm shocked! Shocked I tell ya!
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Why make a snide comment? I was asking you questions. I did not know if the coach had to cross the floor to leave or not. If he had to cross the floor to the opposite corner to leave, on the same side you were standing, could you have gotten farther away? That's all I was wondering.
Really? Seriously? Should he have made it look like he was running away from the coach? If I saw a ref doing that, I'd assume he left his stones at home.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:25pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Really? Seriously? Should he have made it look like he was running away from the coach? If I saw a ref doing that, I'd assume he left his stones at home.

not these, I presume....
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just checked and I got a new rating in the Arbiter: a 2.17 out of 5! The comments were: very unprofessional, bad attitude towards talking to coaches and explaining.
Here is the kicker, I got a 2 in mechanics! I can take all the rest because the coach is an idiot and idiots do what I expect them to. BUT my mechanics should be a 5 even if he does not like the way I will not let him do what he wants. Now he is right, that is Bullsh_t!
A 2.17 from an ejected (3 T, nonetheless) coach must equal about a 6.5/5 from a professional observer. Way to get above a zero!

That said, it seems to me that you handled this well. We all have those games; hopefully the "rating" from it won't hurt you too much.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 11:14pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
That's ridiculous Tom. I see no value to allowing coaches to rate and post comments like that. If they're going to be allowed to do that, there should be a time frame imposed - like they can't rate/post comments for the first 48 hours after the game. I know the previous HS assignor around here did not take calls from coaches/AD's until a full 24 hours had passed - so the coaches had to go to another practice or game and couldn't just vent in the heat of the moment after the game ended. An assignor I work for now allows coaches to send in game reports immediately - so I had a game last year where the assignor called me before I was out of the locker room and had a game report in hand - the coach e-mailed it in within 5 min. of the game ending. Ridiculous.

And btw - just to reinforce you (which I know you don't need) - that coach is a grade A a$$-hole.

Rocky Road:

You would just love it here in Ohio. While all of the leagues and conferences have assignors. The coaches tell the assignors who they can have on their staffs. It only takes one coach to black ball and that official will not work in that league. The coaches also rate the officials and these ratings determine who officiate in the tournament. And I am not done yet: An official has to ask coaches to recommend him to the league/conference assignor.

I hope you didn't hurt yourself when you fell out of your chair because you were laughing so hard.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 12:15am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Rocky Road:

You would just love it here in Ohio. While all of the leagues and conferences have assignors. The coaches tell the assignors who they can have on their staffs. It only takes one coach to black ball and that official will not work in that league. The coaches also rate the officials and these ratings determine who officiate in the tournament. And I am not done yet: An official has to ask coaches to recommend him to the league/conference assignor.

I hope you didn't hurt yourself when you fell out of your chair because you were laughing so hard.

MTD, Sr.

Are you serious??? Who hires the assignors? Do the assignors have any - as the Jurassic one is fond of saying - stones???
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oracle, my only sadness is for the game of basketball and the fact that it was reduced to this. The rating system is a joke that I often vent about. I know I will never be the most liked official by coaches because I'm going to do what's right and unfortunately that often means situations like this occur. I had this team last year and those two were idiots then to although not to this extreme. We all know they didn't pick the two times I've had them to act like this. This is normal for them and many officials probably let it go. I'm almost sure they let it go because in this state you get fined for getting thrown out and I believe a T too. I was told it will cost the coach $300 for this one.
I made the comment I did because you (Oracle) must not have read my OP. I got out of his direct path. That should have been good enough. It wasn't a pot shot while he was walking out, he had to change his path and he stopped. I'm not going all the way in to the backcourt just to get away from him more. Everyone in the facility saw how this played out. I'm good with the T(s) and I haven't heard much else about them.
It is sad that this occurred, T. If he changed direction to yell again, it will be clearly seen on the film, and you cannot be blamed for goading or escalating. That's why I asked. We've been taught and evaluated on getting physical distance during emotionally-charged times with players and coaches, because then complaints have virtually no merit when the film is seen and they've chased you down or moved towards you after you turn and step away. That's why you shouldn't even worry about a rating or comment from that game. I never doubted for a second that you did what you should have done.

It also makes no difference if you are liked or not. It matters if you are respected. Gaining respect requires understanding how to communicate and set expectations for players and coaches, and holding them accountable for crossing the line. I like Patrick Swayze in Road House. "Be nice, until it is time not to be nice." There are a few instances, probably like what you described, where being courteous doesn't buy you much, but more often than not it is a great way to officiate--and live life. Some great officials are feared by everyone, "Quickest T in the league." You can always use a T when being courteous doesn't work on a jerky coach. But most of the great ones don't get there by that route.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
An assignor I work for now allows coaches to send in game reports immediately - so I had a game last year where the assignor called me before I was out of the locker room and had a game report in hand - the coach e-mailed it in within 5 min. of the game ending. Ridiculous.

And btw - just to reinforce you (which I know you don't need) - that coach is a grade A a$$-hole.
Rocky, I had a voicemail left on my cell phone 2 years ago from an assignor. The timestamp of the voicemail was 8:55 p.m. Saturday. I was working an 8 p.m. Saturday game. The coach called at halftime of the game to complain about a T that had been given in the first half, and the assignor wanted more detail than usual in the game report from me.

Irritating? Could be. Funny? Absolutely.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'd not have known that the assistant, who would now be the head coach, would have the seat-belt rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'm shocked! Shocked I tell ya!
Me too, but about a different aspect of that comment. I'm not the least bit surprised that Old School #7 doesn't know the rules.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 08:02am
Administrator

Quote:
Are you serious??? Who hires the assignors? Do the assignors have any - as the Jurassic one is fond of saying - stones???

The member schools (principals and AD's) of the league/conference hire the assignors. If the assignors do not do as they are told by the league they won't be the assignor anymore in most cases.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Or are they just a bunch of octopi? (What is the collective for octopus?)