View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Oracle, my only sadness is for the game of basketball and the fact that it was reduced to this. The rating system is a joke that I often vent about. I know I will never be the most liked official by coaches because I'm going to do what's right and unfortunately that often means situations like this occur. I had this team last year and those two were idiots then to although not to this extreme. We all know they didn't pick the two times I've had them to act like this. This is normal for them and many officials probably let it go. I'm almost sure they let it go because in this state you get fined for getting thrown out and I believe a T too. I was told it will cost the coach $300 for this one.
I made the comment I did because you (Oracle) must not have read my OP. I got out of his direct path. That should have been good enough. It wasn't a pot shot while he was walking out, he had to change his path and he stopped. I'm not going all the way in to the backcourt just to get away from him more. Everyone in the facility saw how this played out. I'm good with the T(s) and I haven't heard much else about them.
It is sad that this occurred, T. If he changed direction to yell again, it will be clearly seen on the film, and you cannot be blamed for goading or escalating. That's why I asked. We've been taught and evaluated on getting physical distance during emotionally-charged times with players and coaches, because then complaints have virtually no merit when the film is seen and they've chased you down or moved towards you after you turn and step away. That's why you shouldn't even worry about a rating or comment from that game. I never doubted for a second that you did what you should have done.

It also makes no difference if you are liked or not. It matters if you are respected. Gaining respect requires understanding how to communicate and set expectations for players and coaches, and holding them accountable for crossing the line. I like Patrick Swayze in Road House. "Be nice, until it is time not to be nice." There are a few instances, probably like what you described, where being courteous doesn't buy you much, but more often than not it is a great way to officiate--and live life. Some great officials are feared by everyone, "Quickest T in the league." You can always use a T when being courteous doesn't work on a jerky coach. But most of the great ones don't get there by that route.