The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

When they come, they come in waves

Haven't called a T on a coach all year. In fact, didn't have one last year, either. I've been lucky.

Then, the last two games happened, and a similar situation in both - coach getting very demonstrative, very argumentative over calls late in a close game. Saturday H head coach didn't like the intentional foul call a partner called (two-handed shove in the back) and ended with "You all are horrible!" while staring right at me. Whack!

Tonight was more frustrating. Middle school boys...V coach is a fairly intense woman who was fairly demonstrative during the game, a few times close to the line and drew a warning from me in the 3rd quarter. Then, with her team down 3 and bringing the ball into the court, her PG gets picked clean, then there's a scrum and I come up with a held ball. She's seriously upset now, hollering (very loudly) "That's a foul! He can't grab his arm!" I looked her way (I was right beside the bench) and simply said, "He didn't grab him." Shouldn't have said anything.

She says, "Oh yes he did! He grabbed his arm. That's a foul dammit!" loud enough for the entire gym to hear. That drew the T. She threw a little fit, and her assistant settled her down. Her assistant started chirping a bit after that as I reported the T, and I walked over and calmly told her that she'd lost her box and I didn't want to hear anything out of her assistant again.

We administered the T, and then administered the throw-in. Immediate two-hand push in the back draws an intentional. Two free throws. Administer the throw-in. Same result - two-hand shove. Intentional foul. Two shots, and now she's called them off and they don't foul again as time runs out, I grab my jacket, and head for the car.

Whew. When it rains, it pours.

That said, any thoughts on the T from tonight? I wish I hadn't said anything to her, but any other thoughts?
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:29pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Could've said, "we're done. 2-0 final." and left. After the 2nd one, it would have been very tempting. Had to be there though.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
We administered the T, and then administered the throw-in. Immediate two-hand push in the back draws an intentional. Two free throws. Administer the throw-in. Same result - two-hand shove. Intentional foul. Two shots, and now she's called them off and they don't foul again as time runs out, I grab my jacket, and head for the car.
Two intentionals like that right in a row? Sheez, that's bad. That's a coach that needs some coaching herself. Poor kids.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Two intentionals like that right in a row? Sheez, that's bad. That's a coach that needs some coaching herself. Poor kids.
Yeah, it was unlike anything I'd seen before. The worst part was if she hadn't flown off her rocker and earned the T, her team would have had the ball back with 45 seconds on the clock down three. Instead, they had a T, Int, Int, 4 of 6 were made and her team was down 7 and the opponents had the ball with under 40 sec left...
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Haven't called a T on a coach all year. In fact, didn't have one last year, either. I've been lucky.

Then, the last two games happened, and a similar situation in both - coach getting very demonstrative, very argumentative over calls late in a close game. Saturday H head coach didn't like the intentional foul call a partner called (two-handed shove in the back) and ended with "You all are horrible!" while staring right at me. Whack!

Tonight was more frustrating. Middle school boys...V coach is a fairly intense woman who was fairly demonstrative during the game, a few times close to the line and drew a warning from me in the 3rd quarter. Then, with her team down 3 and bringing the ball into the court, her PG gets picked clean, then there's a scrum and I come up with a held ball. She's seriously upset now, hollering (very loudly) "That's a foul! He can't grab his arm!" I looked her way (I was right beside the bench) and simply said, "He didn't grab him." Shouldn't have said anything.

She says, "Oh yes he did! He grabbed his arm. That's a foul dammit!" loud enough for the entire gym to hear. That drew the T. She threw a little fit, and her assistant settled her down. Her assistant started chirping a bit after that as I reported the T, and I walked over and calmly told her that she'd lost her box and I didn't want to hear anything out of her assistant again.

That said, any thoughts on the T from tonight? I wish I hadn't said anything to her, but any other thoughts?

"She lost her box" Isn't that right between..........................oh never mind.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Could be worse Juulie. Just before Christmas I had a Fr boys game where we called 63 fouls, all of the "had to be called" variety, and could easily have called 30 more. There were 4 intentional in the last 1:30 and 4 players DQ'd on fouls. One of those games you'd really like to forget......
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Could've said, "we're done. 2-0 final." and left. After the 2nd one, it would have been very tempting. Had to be there though.
That would be the incorrect final score.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
She's seriously upset now, hollering (very loudly) "That's a foul! He can't grab his arm!" I looked her way (I was right beside the bench) and simply said, "He didn't grab him." Shouldn't have said anything.

You are learning quickly. Nice job with the intentionals.
I have a few comments about the above for you.
You have already quite correctly acknowledged that you should not have said anything to the coach in response to her comment. Remember reply to questions, not statements.
What happened to you was that you got drawn into a "yes, he did," --"no, he didn't,"--"yes, he did," pissing contest. Nothing good can come from that as evidenced by the T that resulted from your situation. Of course, all of us have been there and made that mistake.

Lastly, I would recommend that you take care of your business and then get out of the area and allow your partner to inform the coach about the loss of the box privileges. It will often help prevent the situation from spiraling further down the drain.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 10:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
That would be the incorrect final score.
Good catch. The score on the board stands if the team behind forfeits.

You are wise beyond your years.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Lastly, I would recommend that you take care of your business and then get out of the area and allow your partner to inform the coach about the loss of the box privileges. It will often help prevent the situation from spiraling further down the drain.
Thanks for the feedback, Nevada...much appreciated and I agree with everything you wrote.

As far as the loss of box privileges, I was hung out just a bit - we were working 2-man (one of the few I'll work here in SC) and my partner had already worked his way down court to administer the FTs, home subbed a shooter to shoot the Ts (this is what precipitated the assistant chirping), so that was when I took the opportunity to inform the coach and warn against the assistant's talking.

How would you, or anyone else who wants to comment, have handled that situation?
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

I usually have a brief chat with one of my partners after calling a T just to ensure that we are on the same page and administer it properly. If your partner takes off to the other end to administer the FTs, I would report the T, and then turn and walk to the division line opposite the table where the ensuing throw-in spot will be. This gives the coach a few seconds to vent and then he/she usually calms down and takes a seat without requiring a word. If one is necessary, your partner should be able to take care of that when he comes back down the floor.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Remember reply to questions, not statements.
Nevada...7 years of doing this and I've NEVER had anyone say that and it makes a whole helluva lot of sense!

Thanks for posting that...
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 04:12pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
She says, "Oh yes he did! He grabbed his arm. That's a foul dammit!" loud enough for the entire gym to hear.

Maybe it's just me, but if i was an official, I'd have little to no tolerance for profanity directed towards an official, especially at the lower levels. I even believe there is an NCAA case play that says an official could possibly call a Flagrant T for profanity directed at an official.

Yes, people in volved in a game can get caught up in the moment (myself included), but thats not an excuse for profanity.

{/soapbox}

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Sounds like both T's were warrented.

Just as a point of interest 2 unsportsmanlike fouls in FIBA (same as an intentional in NF & NCAA) charged to the same player results in a disqualification (ejection).