The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Lead Administers FT while Trail is substituting

I was watching a JV game (2 man crew) this past weekend and saw an unusual situation. I am wondering if the refs handled it correctly (NFHS).

About a minute left in the game A40-B39, both teams are in the bonus. A1 is bringing the ball up court and B1 fouls A1. The official is reporting the foul at the table and the other official is getting everything ready to shoot the one and one. This is B1's 5th foul and the table notifies the calling official. The table just verbally notifies the official, who turns and signals "5" to his partner. B1 is standing by the HC of B. The official notifies the HC that a sub is needed and notfies B1 since he is standing right there. I see a signal from the ref to start the 20 second clock. Meanwhile, everyone has lined up on the foul line and the other ref has bounced the ball to A1 to shoot the 1+1. B has 3 players along the lane while A has 2. The foul shot misses and A3 gets the rebound. The ref at the table realizes the game has started up and and sees team A in control of the ball. At this point the ref at the table blows the ball dead. The clock did not start because of the substitution that was in progress. B6 was then substituted for B1. There was no time correction. The game proceeded at this point with team A inbounding the ball.

The lead ref missed the 5 sign from the partner, did not wait until partner was in position and put the ball into play. In NFHS, I don't think any of the play could be canceled and done over, so I think they got it right - at least they did not complicate an already messy situation.

Comments?
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
This happened to me also in a JV game or an AAU game - as I was waiting for the coach to send in the sub for DQ my partner put the ball in play. IMO the game cannot continue until the sub comes in for the DQ'ed player so whatever happens prior to that is erased except for unsporting behavior/fighting/dead ball contact type Ts.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

All though the partner missed the communication with the Trail. The player received the merited free throw. A's ball for throw in.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I observed an identical situation. The only difference, is that Team A, once they secured the rebound from missed free throw, A4 ended up scoring while the substitution was taking place.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
This happened to me also in a JV game or an AAU game - as I was waiting for the coach to send in the sub for DQ my partner put the ball in play. IMO the game cannot continue until the sub comes in for the DQ'ed player so whatever happens prior to that is erased except for unsporting behavior/fighting/dead ball contact type Ts.
I disagree, this is not a correctable error situation - are you saying that if A1 had made the FT you would erase it? Seems to me to just be a goof/lack of communication, give the ball to A nearest the spot when it was blown dead and after the DQ'd player is replaced....
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

yep

This is just an officials error, I have actually seen this happen in a 3man, not sure how but it did. Since the merited free throw was attempted just resume play with POI.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
I disagree, this is not a correctable error situation - are you saying that if A1 had made the FT you would erase it? Seems to me to just be a goof/lack of communication, give the ball to A nearest the spot when it was blown dead and after the DQ'd player is replaced....
Yes I would erase a made FT.

B is given the opportunity by rule to sub for their DQ'ed player. That didn't happen in this case.

Again, my opinion.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes I would erase a made FT.

B is given the opportunity by rule to sub for their DQ'ed player. That didn't happen in this case.

Again, my opinion.
True they should be given an opportunity to sub, however, there is no provision to erase any activity based on a screw-up by the officials...think of an AP situation where it is A's posession, by rule they should be given the opportunity to inbound the ball. If the officials give it to B and the throw-in is completed, there is nothing you can do about it at that point, you just give the next AP to A...similar because neither the OP nor this situation is a correctable error.....I understand what you are saying, but there is just no provision to do this...
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:32am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
IMO the game cannot continue until the sub comes in for the DQ'ed player so whatever happens prior to that is erased except for unsporting behavior/fighting/dead ball contact type Ts.
I think this was an NCAA interp issued in a mid-season bulletin a couple years ago. The ruling (I think) was that the ball never became live because the substitution process hadn't been completed. But at the HS level, I don't think we have such a ruling.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I think this was an NCAA interp issued in a mid-season bulletin a couple years ago. The ruling (I think) was that the ball never became live because the substitution process hadn't been completed. But at the HS level, I don't think we have such a ruling.
That's what I was going to say. "Do it over" in NCAA; play on in FED.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
That's what I was going to say. "Do it over" in NCAA; play on in FED.
That is good to know for NCAA, thanks!
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
sigh... I was really hoping to see this thread take off... and then you had to jump in with an approved ruling instead of wild speculation and personal opinion...

btw... I would do it the same under nfhs.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
sigh... I was really hoping to see this thread take off... and then you had to jump in with an approved ruling instead of wild speculation and personal opinion...
Where's OS/JMO when you need him/her?
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 11:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Where's OS/JMO when you need him/her?
Posting under the Nom de Net of Dan_ref.....
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 12:10pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I don't actually HAVE the approved ruling. I merely SEEM to remember it. Speculate away.