The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

I would appreciate your thoughts and ideas on the following. What criteria do you use as lead to come across the key on the same side as the trail, when do you return back and do you use your body position to tell the trail when you are watching the post play and when you are are taking the ball, while on his side? This is for two man federation mechanics. Thanks.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ron,

In a 2-whistle game, I go ball-side when either: 1) there are two big bodies banging in the strong-side low-post; or 2) when I feel an entry pass to the low post is imminent.

When I go ball-side, my partner and I stay focused on our primary areas. That means that the Trail still has the ball until it comes into the low post. I don't need body language to communicate this, b/c it's a major point of the pre-game.

I go back to my "normal" position when neither (1) nor (2) is true any longer. I try to keep it simple, b/c I don't want to be bouncing back and forth like a pinball.

In a 3-whistle game, I am much quicker to come ball-side, but that's a whole different thread.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 08:44am
Huck Finn

Chuck, I agree with what you said except there are new primary areas once the lead comes over. In this case the ball could be in the lead's primary once the lead comes across even though it was the trail's primary before? Can someone chime in and tell me if I looked at this correctly? I haven't looked at the changes much for two-person.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Chuck, I agree with what you said except there are new primary areas once the lead comes over. In this case the ball could be in the lead's primary once the lead comes across even though it was the trail's primary before? Can someone chime in and tell me if I looked at this correctly? I haven't looked at the changes much for two-person.
As a theoretical matter, that's true.

As a practical matter, L is crossing over to watch the post. The ball is rarely inside the arc and not at or on the way to the post on that side (unless it's a quick drive in which case L will naturally pick up the drive as it gets toward the post area).

Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Chuck, I agree with what you said except there are new primary areas once the lead comes over.
Bob, it's true that the primary areas of responsibility change when the Lead comes ball-side?
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 09:22am
Huck Finn

Can someone with their books handy chime in on this? Didn't this change this year?
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 09:41am
Huck Finn

I just went to the NFHS site and this is what it says:

(2) When the Lead is ball side, he/she will have primary coverage when the ball is in the area between the arc and the closest lane line, below the free throw line extended.

The 2 in parenthesis is for two-person mechanics. The site is http://www.nfhs.org/Sports/basketbal...l_changes.html
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Chuck, I agree with what you said except there are new primary areas once the lead comes over.
Bob, it's true that the primary areas of responsibility change when the Lead comes ball-side?
As I read the book:

When ball is trail side: Lead has below the FT line extended, to the far lane-line.

When ball is lead side, but above the FT line extended: Lead has below the FT line extended and inside the arc on T side.

When lead goes across: Lead has below the FT line extended and inside the arc on T side (same as above).

As a practical matter: When T is on the ball, L has all the other players (often 8) -- he needs to look at the competitive match-up most likely to be key to the play.

Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Great pick-up, Tommy. The change is noted in Diagram 11 on page 26 of the Official's Manual.

This was not mentioned at our pre-season clinic, so I'm glad somebody pointed it out here.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Bob,
I thought that if a player drives to the basket that the trail takes that all the way? I will try to find the reference in the officials manuel
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Other changes

There are also some changes in the text... see paragraph 204.

"The Lead official should be prepared to provide ball-side assistance when the ball and the majority of players are on the Trail's side of the court. Having the Lead move ball-side leaves one half of the court completely uncovered, therefore officials should use this mechanic sparingly and should thoroughly discuss its use during the pregame official's conference. Officials may also want to consult ther state high school association for guidlines regarding the use of this mechanic."

Diagram 11 does stress that the Lead must remember to go back to a 'boxed-in' position after the ball goes back beyond the 3-point line.

And also note that in Paragraph 206 (although it is not highlighted ... maybe it changed last year?) they have adopted the 3-man mechanic for the 2-man game:

"When a player with the ball starts a drive to the basket from an official's primary area, that official has the player and the ball all the way to the basket."

Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Other changes

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
There are also some changes in the text... see paragraph 204.

"The Lead official should be prepared to provide ball-side assistance when the ball and the majority of players are on the Trail's side of the court. Having the Lead move ball-side leaves one half of the court completely uncovered, therefore officials should use this mechanic sparingly and should thoroughly discuss its use during the pregame official's conference. Officials may also want to consult ther state high school association for guidlines regarding the use of this mechanic."

It was the use of the word sparingly that caught my attention and prompted my original question.

And also note that in Paragraph 206 (although it is not highlighted ... maybe it changed last year?) they have adopted the 3-man mechanic for the 2-man game:

"When a player with the ball starts a drive to the basket from an official's primary area, that official has the player and the ball all the way to the basket."

This is the quote I was thinking of when I replied to Bob. As a lead I am not going to pick up that drive to the basket. And yes I believe that it was new last year.

Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

When to Go ball side

I had a situation last week where during pre-game I discussed this with my partner. I work ball side like Chuck does and have done it for a few years now even though this just became and "ooficial" mechnanics change this year. NASO has been promoting this in their mechanics book for a while now. He insisted that he would not go ball side until the ball was already there. I tried to explain to him that by then it's too late. The whole purpose of moving ball side is getting the proper angle. You know when there are 2 guys fighting for position and the point guard is biding time and not driving, that the ball is coming in to the low post. That's when you need to get there-before the ball gets dumped in to the low post. That way you have the angle to see any contact from pushing off by the offensive player, to displacement by the defense. Knowing when to move back is more difficult. If the shot misses, usually I'll stay where I'm at unless there is a long rebound or the rebound is to my normal side. I guess it's more of an instinct than planning whereas on the feed to the low post, you'll see the players jockying for position and you can have time to think to yourself "hey, the ball could be coming into the post. If the PG is looking for it, I'm going ball-side (or something along those lines)".

Mregor
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

the problem will be

Officials who are set in their way and will not come ball side ever and those who are trail not going with the new mechanics when the lead does come across. You need an effective pre-game and your partner needs to be cooperative. If not, it could make for some bad looking double whistles.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

This is a great thread and should be applied by all officials. The discussion are right on!!! Unfortunately I have nothing to add to what has already been stated.
We need more threads like this!!!