View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Lead Administers FT while Trail is substituting

I was watching a JV game (2 man crew) this past weekend and saw an unusual situation. I am wondering if the refs handled it correctly (NFHS).

About a minute left in the game A40-B39, both teams are in the bonus. A1 is bringing the ball up court and B1 fouls A1. The official is reporting the foul at the table and the other official is getting everything ready to shoot the one and one. This is B1's 5th foul and the table notifies the calling official. The table just verbally notifies the official, who turns and signals "5" to his partner. B1 is standing by the HC of B. The official notifies the HC that a sub is needed and notfies B1 since he is standing right there. I see a signal from the ref to start the 20 second clock. Meanwhile, everyone has lined up on the foul line and the other ref has bounced the ball to A1 to shoot the 1+1. B has 3 players along the lane while A has 2. The foul shot misses and A3 gets the rebound. The ref at the table realizes the game has started up and and sees team A in control of the ball. At this point the ref at the table blows the ball dead. The clock did not start because of the substitution that was in progress. B6 was then substituted for B1. There was no time correction. The game proceeded at this point with team A inbounding the ball.

The lead ref missed the 5 sign from the partner, did not wait until partner was in position and put the ball into play. In NFHS, I don't think any of the play could be canceled and done over, so I think they got it right - at least they did not complicate an already messy situation.

Comments?