Thread: Help w/ Pregame
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 09:20am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Help w/ Pregame

As a newer official to my Association, I am usually assigned as the U and get matched with a Sr Official who is the R.

At this point, I do mostly Fresh/MS/ and JV games (which is fine) and try to get to the games 45/60 min early. I change in the locker room and usually commence to reading the case book or revieiwing the rules prior to my partner's arrival.

At my level we don't have "teamed officials" so I rarely see the same partner more than once or twice a yr.

Question/issue 1) My partners rarely do a "formal pregame." Usually they arrive 20/30 before a game and we commence to get to know each other a bit, briefly go over a rule or two, and take the floor. How do I, as the junior guy, initiate a more formal pregame? I always have good pregame example sheets with me. Should I just hand it to them and say can we go over this? When I contact my partner the day before the game, should I tell them, "I'll be there 45 min early to do a pre-game" or would that cause you (Sr guys) to roll your eyes.

Question/issue 2) I've seen a lot of discussion about Rec Leagues games which I also do. There, I am usually the R with much junior partners who don't know the rules, read the books, etc. What type of Pregame do you Sr. officials do at this level - if any?

Thanks.

Last edited by grunewar; Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 09:37am.