Thread: Help w/ Pregame
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 09:31am
Lighten up, Francis.

If I have a partner who has no interest in doing a pre-game, I will try to engage him/her in conversation about situations, so that we are getting into a basketball frame of mind, even if it's not a "formal" pre-game.

In my game last week, this really weird thing happened. How do you normally handle something like that?

Have you dealt with Coach A recently? Did he/she stay in the box or do you think we'll have to deal with it?

Last time I had Team A, they pressed a lot. I never know how far to go as the new Lead. What do you normally do?

I know I'm going to miss some out of bounds from the Lead if it goes out near midcourt. Do you want to just take that as Trail, or should I blow the whistle and just look to you for help?

Sometimes those kinds of questions help. Sometimes you just get a guy who can't be bothered. I have a good friend who simply says, "I'm going to talk through some things just for myself. If you have anything that you think we should do differently, just say so." And then he does a full pre-game whether the partner cares or not.

I think it will partly depend on your own personality and how much of a "take-charge" guy image you want to project.