PREGAME CONFERENCE

Lead’s Primary Responsibilities:
Primary coverage area
Nearest endline and sideline below free throwline extended
Post play
Illegal screens at elbows

Trail’s Primary Responsibilities:
Primary coverage area “works the arc”
Division line, all the backcourt, nearest endline, farther sideline above free throw line extended
Weak side rebound coverage
Drives starting in primary
Last second shot, basket interference, goaltending
Bring subs in

Stay In Your Primary, It Must Be Obvious To Come Out Of Your Primary
Respect each other's area. Seldom should have four eyes on the ball. It must be obvious to come out
of your primary. We’re not going to have too many double whistles if we are doing this right.
Keep in mind your boundary line responsibilities and last second shot responsibilities. Put the ball
in play where it goes out of bounds or where the foul is.

On double whistles, let’s both hold our preliminary signal and not give a block or player control signal.
Make eye contact with each other. Give the call to whoever has the primary coverage, unless you definitely
have something different that happened first.

For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. Come together for a change if needed. If I have no idea and I look to
you for help, just give a directional signal. No need to come to me. Just point. If I signal but I get it wrong,
then blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.

On throw-ins, count ten players, make eye contact, check the table, and check the clock.

Be consistent with each other. If I have a very close block/charge play and I call a blocking foul, then the next
time you have a similar block/charge play, you should have a blocking foul. Let’s try to remember what
we’ve called earlier in the game, and what we haven’t called. Be consistent with what has already happened
in the game.

Communicate at sixth and ninth fouls. We don’t want to be surprised when it’s time to shoot the bonus. If we
know that the next foul will result in bonus free throws, then we’ll be more likely to remember our shooter.
Check the clock after every whistle to make sure the clock stops properly. Check the clock every time it
should start to make sure it does so.

Near the end of the game, be aware of coaches calling time-outs and be sure to inform them after they have used
all their time outs. We’re not calling anything in the last two minutes if we haven’t already called it earlier in
the game, unless it’s so blatant that it can’t be ignored. We don’t want our first illegal screen to be called with
30 seconds left in the game; but if the illegal screen puts a player into the first row of the bleachers, then we
have to call it. If the game dictates it, let the players win or lose the game at the line. We don’t want to be
the ones who decide the game by ignoring obvious fouls just to get the game over. If the winning team is just
holding the ball and is willing to take the free throws after strategic fouls, then let’s call the foul immediately,
so the ballhandler doesn’t get hit harder to draw a whistle. Let’s make sure there is a play on the ball by the
defense. If there’s no play on the ball, if the defense grabs the jersey from behind, or if the ballhandler
receives a bear hug, we should consider an intentional foul.
Discuss coaches personalities and how to manage them. Coaches and captains meeting: players properly
equipped, players wearing uniforms properly, practice good sportsmanship

2007-08 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES CHANGES
Changed that a throw-in ends when the throw-in pass is "legally" touched by another player.
Changed that a dribble ends when loss of control by the dribbler is caused by the opponent touching,
or being touched by, the ball, rather than an intentional batting of the ball.
Changed the warning horn for a 30-second time-out to be sounded with 15 seconds remaining.
Changed the replacement interval for a disqualified player to 20 seconds, with a warning horn sounded
with 15 seconds remaining.
Clarified that a technical foul shall be called when a player purposely and/or deceitfully delays his/her
return to the court after legally being out of bounds.
Added to the definition of a legal screen that the screener must stay within his/her vertical plane
with a stance approximately shoulder width apart.
Added that guards, casts, braces and compression sleeves must be worn for medical reasons.
Clarified that hard items worn on the head, such as barrettes and bobby pins, are prohibited.
Clarified when the resumption-of-play procedure is in effect.
Implementation date reached requiring the home team to wear white jerseys.

2007-08 NFHS POINTS OF EMPHASIS
1. Uniforms
2. Free Throws
3. Displacement
4. Ball Handler/Dribbler

2007-08 MECHANICS CHANGES
Added a signal (spreading of the arms) for when a defender is not in a closely-guarding position.
Referee can delegate jump ball toss.
Ball allowed on floor during time-out or intermission.
Boundary line coverage by trail farther sideline above free throw line extended.
Trail may rotate toward farther sideline, leads primary coverage area rotates.

CONNECTICUT MECHANICS:
Point to floor for two-point field goal try.
No long switches when foul is called in the backcourt and there is no change of possession or direction.
Team members are not allowed to congregate at midcourt during introductions.
Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box
with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be
allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary or Commissioner the next day.