Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Well, Nevadaref pretty clearly pointed out exactly WHY it communicates no real info. It is simply slang that is announcer-speak for "no shot". So just say, "no shot".
If it is slang that is equivalent to "no shot" for most of the community then why not use it? "On the floor" while not precise communicates exactly the message you intend to those not as familiar with the rules as you.

btw...are you opposed to saying you googled something when you really should say you performed a web search?
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
btw...are you opposed to saying you googled something when you really should say you performed a web search?
The first time I heard someone say they "googled", I thought they were talking about being a baby. When I was a baby, I googled all the time. Sometimes, depending on what happened that day, I still do.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:52pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
The first time I heard someone say they "googled", I thought they were talking about being a baby. When I was a baby, I googled all the time. Sometimes, depending on what happened that day, I still do.
Speaking of babies - has everyone seen that young kid that does the evil look... and then laughs? It's on YouTube.

I've watched that clip 50 times and I still fall off my seat laughing.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
You'll go blind if you keep at it...
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 01:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

In a wreck game I was working between the Sopranos and one of the other "families", a player was dribbling and got shot multiple times from someone in the stands. His body was scattered in a bloody mess all over the court. I looked down at it and declared "on the floor". Obviously, I couldn't rule "before the shot". BTW - Tony hit a jumper at the horn to win, 2-0.

Damn, gotta take those holiday meds.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 01:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Well, Nevadaref pretty clearly pointed out exactly WHY it communicates no real info. It is simply slang that is announcer-speak for "no shot". So just say, "no shot".

Sigh. But "on the floor" is completely irrelevant to the question of whether free throws will be awarded, regardless of when he whistled the foul.

Look, it's not going to matter to me one bit whether you say "on the floor" or "no shot". My one piece of advice, don't use "on the floor" at camp.
I have to completely agree with Chuck on this. It might be a term that everyone truly understands, but do not use it at any camp if you want to look like you do not know what you are doing.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
If it is slang that is equivalent to "no shot" for most of the community then why not use it? "On the floor" while not precise communicates exactly the message you intend to those not as familiar with the rules as you.
Yup, you're right. I'll start using it, along with "over the back" on rebounding fouls. After all, "over the back" communicates exactly the message I intend to those not as familiar with the rules as I am. Good tip, thanks.

Quote:
I'm not. But I've heard that within the Google company, employees are forbidden from using the company name in that manner. The owners are afraid that using "google" as a verb will essentially cause it to lose its unique meaning as the "Google company". This is what happened with "aspirin", which used to be a unique brand name.

I didn't really mean to get drawn into this conversation. I just stopped by to say Merry Christmas to everybody. I'll go back under my bridge now.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
"I've got..."
That is one of my personal worst habits. I say it at least 2-3 times a game and wanna slap myself everytime I say it...the game is not about me! Gotta focus more on that one.

Although the rules/case/mechanics books use specific terminology, if the communication is clear, then I don't have much problem with trite or not-quite-exact terminology. Some, such as "reach" or "over-the-back", need to be avoided because they perpetuate myths/misunderstandings of the rules. I've had good partners who I respected use them in reporting fouls because they said it let the coaches know what the foul was...arrrgggghhhhh.

But terms like "on the floor" or "baseline" or even something as inane as "relax on the first shot" communicate a clear message to players, partners, and coaches. For example, I would certainly prefer my partner clearly state a foul occured "on the floor" then not comunicate anything at all (whether verbal or non-verbal), leaving me (and my other partner) wondering what we're to do next. This is not to say I necessarily condone such terminology when, as several people have pointed out, "no shot" correctly communicates the same thing. But I mostly want to know what the situation is as quickly as possible. And Chuck & JRut are right...be precise and correct at camp.

Last edited by Corndog89; Mon Dec 24, 2007 at 03:23pm.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Anyone else have any others?

I ask to see if there's something I'm saying that drives other officials nuts.
Don't know if you say or do any of these, Snaqs, but...

- Referees during pre-games with captains who feel a need to go over specific rules ("Make sure your shorts are pulled up and your shirt tucked in or we won't let you come in" seems to be very popular). I can understand briefly going over rules changes or even POEs before the first 3-4 games of the season, but otherwise...

- Referees during pre-games with captains who give specific instructions, about rough play or such, followed with some variation of "If you do this here's the specific action we'll take"... and then magnify the gaffe by not taking the threatened action the first time it happens in the game

- Umpires during pre-games who feel a need to add to whatever the R said, especially if it's to go over a specific rule or instruction...&$^%@

- Referees who step into the center circle for the opening tip and announce team colors while pointing in the appropriate direction each team will go...why?

- Officials who feel the need to come together and chat during every timeout or between 1/2 and 3/4 quarters, whether or not there is good reason to...just be professional and go to your assigned spot on the floor unless there is a good reason to come (and stay) together

- Lead officials in 3-man (sorry Rainmaker) who are loathe to rotate...even if the ball and 6-8 players are on the other side of the floor and have been there for several seconds with nothing to indicate the ball will come back anytime soon if at all

- Trail in 3-man who calls "3 Seconds"...unless of the course the Lead hasn't rotated to the new ball side and the Trail now has nothing better to officiate

Whew.......that felt good, Doctor.

Last edited by Corndog89; Mon Dec 24, 2007 at 03:28pm.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yup, you're right. I'll start using it, along with "over the back" on rebounding fouls. After all, "over the back" communicates exactly the message I intend to those not as familiar with the rules as I am. Good tip, thanks.
And I imagine next time you're asked if the foul was on the floor you'll give your standard 10 minute lecture on how we should all avoid using slang instead of just saying "yes".

More good advice, thanks

Quote:
I'm not. But I've heard that within the Google company, employees are forbidden from using the company name in that manner. The owners are afraid that using "google" as a verb will essentially cause it to lose its unique meaning as the "Google company". This is what happened with "aspirin", which used to be a unique brand name.
It's true, brand name originally owned by Bayer. It's why the waiter tells you no coke pepsi when you order the wrong one. Other examples are kleenex, scotch tape, jello, band aid, velcro. There's one more that you probably hear a lot: "hey ref! you suck like a hoover!!"
Quote:

I didn't really mean to get drawn into this conversation. I just stopped by to say Merry Christmas to everybody. I'll go back under my bridge now.
Make sure you reach in first to make sure there aren't any snakes on the floor.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 04:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89

-
- Referees who step into the center circle for the opening tip and announce team colors while pointing in the appropriate direction each team will go...why?
After I do this, I say good luck, too.

If this really bothers you, you're a bit too then-thi-tive.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
After I do this, I say good luck, too.

If this really bothers you, you're a bit too then-thi-tive.
You're right, it doesn't really bother me...just seems uneccessary.

Saying "Good luck" seems harmless enough as well...I usually say it to coaches/captains before games as well. But I've had partners over the years who refuse to say "good luck" to coaches because they believe the coach could imply they're favoring the other team and the chance for a fair game is therefore unlikely. I've personally never actually heard a coach say that, but coaches being coaches, you just never know.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was going to say the same thing. Apparently most people don't perceive "on the floor" as also perpetuating a myth of the game. Unfortunate.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89
I'll add officials who bounce the ball across the lane to a thrower because they are too lazy to move and justify it as saving steps for the crew.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 08:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Here's Why ...

From Corndog89: "Referees who step into the center circle for the opening tip and announce team colors while pointing in the appropriate direction each team will go...why?"

This is the way that I double check that we're going the correct way. Before I toss, I look to my left at the "White" bench, make sure that a "White" jumper is standing to my left and point to my right and say "White". Then I look to my right at the "Red" bench, make sure that a "Red" jumper is standing to my right, and point to my left and say "Red". By doing this in every game that I'm the referee, now the "tosser" with the new mechanics, I've never, since the new rule designated baskets for each team, had the players start the game in the wrong direction because I let them line up facing the wrong direction. Yet in the same number of years, as the umpire, or "nontoser" with the new mechanics, I have, on many occassions, prevented my partner, the refreee, or "tosser", from starting the players in the wrong direction.

From Corndog89: "I've had partners over the years who refuse to say "good luck" to coaches because they believe the coach could imply they're favoring the other team and the chance for a fair game is therefore unlikely. I've personally never actually heard a coach say that, but coaches being coaches, you just never know"

I've always struggled with this. If you're saying "Good Luck" to both teams, doesn't the "Good Luck" cancel out? So over the past few years, I've been saying "Have Fun" to players, and, if I find it necessary to say something to the coaches, I say "Have a great game". Odd, and nit-picking, I know, but it makes me feel comfortable.