The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

I was pretty miffed at this sitch tonite. (Opener of a Frosh/Varsity DH).Subbing going on ,I guess partner in a hurry, inbounds on baseline going other way. Crowd gives that terrible feeling buzz, so I start counting players.Count five Blue members during fast break (blue possession), blue lay-in. Start counting White members, CRAP! they got six.I blow whistle, issue T. Shoot throws, ball inbounded, last second shot, no good, halftime. After half White coach asks if he loses box. I say no. While I'm inbounding to start second half,partner informs standing White coach he must sit due to loss of box. Being a pretty good egg, he hollers to me, "Now he says I have to sit!" Partner is a 30 yr. official, but flies by seat of pants sometimes.No more is said, I have had philosophical and other problems with this ref in the past, so I didn't want to push it.I question him on it after the game. He says "Any T on the bench is a loss of coaching box".I told him the player was not bench personnel, and he countered by saying the coach gets the indirect because he is "in charge of his players" and bears responsibility.We look it up, and I still don't think he was satisfied after learning that he keeps the box. Oh, well. Should I have tried to push my side during the game? It's one of these things that you are pretty darn sure you are right, but don't want to make a stink.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebra44
rt
Tough going in when you have the cloud hanging over head to begin with. Thirty years and he still doesn't get it right, must feel good to vent though.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

There is a limit to how far you can push things during the game. As a coach, I would be upset if you took away my box without cause. But if your partner won't listen, you are going to have to let it go (unfortunately) so you can get the game done. But it's tough when it is an ongoing thing like losing the box for a half rather than a call that affects an instant, like a missed b/c violation.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Get in, Get done, get out...

Sadly, it appears that this 30-yr vet is calling the game by a variation of the rules from the past 30 years.

There isn't much you can do about getting him up to speed.