The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   On the Floor, et al (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40560-floor-et-al.html)

Adam Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:32am

On the Floor, et al

I got to thinking during my most recent game about things officials say that drive me nuts.

Aside from "reach" and "over the back," I mean.

First of all is "play the rim" or "wait til it hits the rim" on free throws. This is probably just me being an anal rules geek, but the fact that they can come in once it hits the backboard negates this phrase.

Then there's, "Coach, feel free to ask us questions during the game, we'll be happy to answer them."

Of course, there's "on the floor." Similar to "play the rim," it communicates a mistaken rule basis, but generally gets the right point across.

Anyone else have any others?

I ask to see if there's something I'm saying that drives other officials nuts.

rainmaker Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells

You mean besides "3-man" and "you guys"? I can't think of much else...

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
You mean besides "3-man" and "you guys"? I can't think of much else...

Or man-to-man defense. :D

MTD, Sr.

rainmaker Sat Dec 22, 2007 01:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Or man-to-man defense. :D

MTD, Sr.

That one doesn't bother me, because it doesn't claim to refer to me!

Adam Sat Dec 22, 2007 01:09am

Oh, I don't know, Juulie. I hear "man to man" or "pick up your man" all the time in girls' games. Often times, these phrases come from Moms in the stands or female coaches.

just another ref Sat Dec 22, 2007 01:17am

Quote:

Oh, I don't know, Juulie. I hear "man to man" or "pick up your man" all the time in girls' games. Often times, these phrases come from Moms in the stands or female coaches.

Many years ago, some big name college women's coach on tv said, "We play man-to-man defense. Person-to-person is a telephone call."

Adam Sat Dec 22, 2007 01:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref
Many years ago, some big name college women's coach...."

That narrows it down to about, what three?

rainmaker Sat Dec 22, 2007 01:31am

Quote:

Right. That's why they don't bother me. They don't bother the girl players, and they don't refer to the refs, so I don't have any right to worry about it. So I don't.

Adam Sat Dec 22, 2007 01:53am

Fair enough.

You can know in the future that if I say "you guys," I'm not refering to you. :)

Also, if I say "3 man," it's a safe bet both of my partners were male (I do try to refrain from that term, though.)

just another ref Sat Dec 22, 2007 01:54am

Quote:

That narrows it down to about, what three?

I was being diplomatic. I don't know who said it, but I think it was a college women's coach.

Nevadaref Sat Dec 22, 2007 04:30am

"I've got..."
"Foul's on..."

"Walk"

"baseline"

:(

DonInKansas Sat Dec 22, 2007 05:47am

Quote:

You can know in the future that if I say "you guys," I'm not refering to you. :)

Also, if I say "3 man," it's a safe bet both of my partners were male (I do try to refrain from that term, though.)

That's why we use "y'all;" it's much more PC.:D

tomegun Sat Dec 22, 2007 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
"I've got..."
"Foul's on..."

"Walk"

"baseline"

:(

Quote:

Then there's, "Coach, feel free to ask us questions during the game, we'll be happy to answer them."

I agree with both of these. I will also add:

"That way", "going down", "stay here" - none of these are colors

RookieDude Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:16am

Quote:

I got to thinking during my most recent game about things officials say that drive me nuts.

Then I guess you would be "nuts" before we started our game when I am R.

I don't say "we'll be happy to answer them"...but, I do say "Coach, don't be afraid to let us know if you 'see something'...pause(usually get a grin or the like)...and I continue with "we'll let you know if it is too much."

This is part of the game that I personally enjoy...communicating with Coaches. Managing the game. Letting the Coach know that he has a say...but that ultimatley, the crew has the final word. ;)

Coltdoggs Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:39am

Quote:

Aside from "reach" and "over the back," I mean.

First of all is "play the rim" or "wait til it hits the rim" on free throws. This is probably just me being an anal rules geek, but the fact that they can come in once it hits the backboard negates this phrase.

Of course, there's "on the floor." Similar to "play the rim," it communicates a mistaken rule basis, but generally gets the right point across.

I ask to see if there's something I'm saying that drives other officials nuts.

I'd much rather my partner communcate to me with "on the floor" rather than "on the ground" as one of my rec leagues partners does....At least if I am in question I now know for sure....

Same with saying "stay here"...I do say that but I say it to the players who may not have their head in the game and see me point and announce the color.

One I hear some guys say is "1 and the bonus"....NO! NO! NO!...it's 1 and 1!

I too fall into the category of not being able to stand officials calling "reach" and "over the back" when reporting...drives me NUTS!