The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

"2 shots, relax on the first"...what if they don't want to relax?

Officials that point to the bench when reporting a foul.

Seeing a Trail park his buns 2 feet inside the division line and 2 feet inside the sideline and never moving.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 11:30am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
I'd much rather my partner communcate to me with "on the floor" rather than "on the ground" as one of my rec leagues partners does....
Why not simply communicate what actually happened? "No shot!" That says it all. No ambiguity. "On the floor" is slang and communicates different things to different people.

Quote:
One I hear some guys say is "1 and the bonus"....NO! NO! NO!...it's 1 and 1!
For fouls 7, 8 and 9, it actually is one shot and a bonus free throw if they make the first. I agree it's a little "wordier", but it's actually exactly correct (until you hit the 10th foul), and shows some knowledge of basketball history. (A fouled player used to be awarded one free throw on ANY foul. The "and the bonus" was given after the 7th foul of the half.)
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Just me, but the "two shots, relax" and a ref I know who says on the second attempt "OK gentleman, time to go to work". Another one......."alright here we go"

I may say "line up" if they are tardy and that's about it other than 1-1 or two shots. Not much for chatter from me.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
"2 shots, relax on the first"...what if they don't want to relax?

Officials that point to the bench when reporting a foul.

Seeing a Trail park his buns 2 feet inside the division line and 2 feet inside the sideline and never moving.
The pointing to the bench thing -- I'd pass out if a JV official around here DIDN'T do that.

My biggest annoyance is the official that has to report twice. Four-two-four-two. For God's sake, is it 42 or 24? Or 4242?

For free throws:

I picked up "two times" from some partner over the years.

Doesn't matter what level I'm working, I just say "two times," "one and one," or "one" and bounce the ball. I don't need to give instructions as if they're relevant. If they're having trouble lining up, I'll say "red down low" (which really confuses the teams if one's wearing blue and the other white ).
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
The pointing to the bench thing -- I'd pass out if a JV official around here DIDN'T do that.

My biggest annoyance is the official that has to report twice. Four-two-four-two. For God's sake, is it 42 or 24? Or 4242?

For free throws:

I picked up "two times" from some partner over the years.

Doesn't matter what level I'm working, I just say "two times," "one and one," or "one" and bounce the ball. I don't need to give instructions as if they're relevant. If they're having trouble lining up, I'll say "red down low" (which really confuses the teams if one's wearing blue and the other white ).
"Two times guys/ladies" from me as well.

Agree 100% on the giving the number twice.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 02:15pm
(Something hilarious)

"That's a..." or "no - no - no" (preceeding a travel, etc.)

And FWIW, "on the floor" is listed in the W CCA manual as an appropriate thing to to when clarification is needed - I personally don't use it, still.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 02:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Memories

From Scrapper1: "A fouled player used to be awarded one free throw on ANY foul."

I've been officiating for a long time, twenty-seven years, and can recall two major changes in foul shooting; two foul shots for all technical fouls, instead of one foul shot; and the double bonus for the tenth foul of the half, instead of the continuation of the one-and-one until the end of the half.

My long time officiaiting has clouded my memory of what we did, in terms of foul shots, back in my high school days, in the early seventies.

What did we do? Please help. I know that there are some real old timers on this Forum.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

man to man, I believe was considered as "HUMAN", not boy or girl...
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

I'm trying to break the habit of saying "fouls on" and "stay here"...but whats wrong with saying "on the floor"?
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
"That's a..." or "no - no - no" (preceeding a travel, etc.)
You win. That one is clearly the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABO77
I'm trying to break the habit of saying "fouls on" and "stay here"...but whats wrong with saying "on the floor"?
Most players begin the act of shooting while they are still in contact with the floor, so saying "on the floor" doesn't distinguish whether the player was in act of shooting or not. It is a pointless comment which communicates no real information.
Think about these two things:

What if a player takes a set shot instead of a jump shot?

If a player jumps into the air and then is fouled while passing the ball, do you say "in the air?"

It doesn't matter where the player was. It only matters what he was doing.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
You mean besides "3-man" and "you guys"? I can't think of much else...
We know...we know
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 10:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
We know...we know
One she shows me she's not part of mankind, I'll stop saying 3-man. Until then....
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Why not simply communicate what actually happened? "No shot!" That says it all. No ambiguity. "On the floor" is slang and communicates different things to different people.
When I'm asked by a coach why his player isn't getting free throws after he's fouled "on the floor coach" always ends the discussion. To me that slang is worth using.

Here's one - you walk into the FT lane, hold up 2 fingers and shout "TWO" then as you're waiting for the first FT the guy standing next to you turns his head and says "how many ref?" While it doesn't exactly drive me nuts it continues to amaze me how often this happens at every level.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Most players begin the act of shooting while they are still in contact with the floor, so saying "on the floor" doesn't distinguish whether the player was in act of shooting or not. It is a pointless comment which communicates no real information.
Think about these two things:

What if a player takes a set shot instead of a jump shot?

If a player jumps into the air and then is fouled while passing the ball, do you say "in the air?"

It doesn't matter where the player was. It only matters what he was doing.
I disagree that it communcates no real info...

Player who gets bumped while driving, you blast the wistle, as soon as the bump/whistle occurs he throws up a shot that goes in...looks like a continuation. Coach and player both want to know why they are not shooting.

I get that you can say NO SHOT or offer explanation BEFORE THE SHOT but I'm still ok with ON THE FLOOR in this case...especially if I am in question as to when my partner actually saw the foul take place and when he whistled the foul.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
I disagree that it communcates no real info...
Well, Nevadaref pretty clearly pointed out exactly WHY it communicates no real info. It is simply slang that is announcer-speak for "no shot". So just say, "no shot".

Quote:
I get that you can say NO SHOT or offer explanation BEFORE THE SHOT but I'm still ok with ON THE FLOOR in this case...especially if I am in question as to when my partner actually saw the foul take place and when he whistled the foul.
Sigh. But "on the floor" is completely irrelevant to the question of whether free throws will be awarded, regardless of when he whistled the foul.

Look, it's not going to matter to me one bit whether you say "on the floor" or "no shot". My one piece of advice, don't use "on the floor" at camp.