The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 08:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I was going to say the same thing. Apparently most people don't perceive "on the floor" as also perpetuating a myth of the game. Unfortunate.
Or they do not care. Honestly, who really cares what others say?

Peace
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 10:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89
Don't know if you say or do any of these, Snaqs, but...

- Referees during pre-games with captains who feel a need to go over specific rules ("Make sure your shorts are pulled up and your shirt tucked in or we won't let you come in" seems to be very popular). I can understand briefly going over rules changes or even POEs before the first 3-4 games of the season, but otherwise...
Nope. I mention sportsmanship, tell them to play nice, and ask the U if he/she has anything to add.
Quote:
- Referees during pre-games with captains who give specific instructions, about rough play or such, followed with some variation of "If you do this here's the specific action we'll take"... and then magnify the gaffe by not taking the threatened action the first time it happens in the game
Nope. I hate boxing myself into a corner on anything.
Quote:
- Umpires during pre-games who feel a need to add to whatever the R said, especially if it's to go over a specific rule or instruction...&$^%@
I consider this question, "Adam, do you have anything to add?" to be a courtesy question and always reply in the negative. I've noticed the ones who do have something to add are either a) newer officials or b) 30+ year guys who honestly don't think I addressed everything I needed to.
[QUOTE=Corndog89]
- Referees who step into the center circle for the opening tip and announce team colors while pointing in the appropriate direction each team will go...why?[/qutoe]I've stopped doing this, but it doesn't annoy me. This year I don't say anything. Tweet, drop the whistle, step, toss. That's all.
Quote:
- Officials who feel the need to come together and chat during every timeout or between 1/2 and 3/4 quarters, whether or not there is good reason to...just be professional and go to your assigned spot on the floor unless there is a good reason to come (and stay) together
I'm working on adhering to timeout and intermission positioning this year. It just looks sloppy to be wandering around like you're not sure of yourself.
Quote:
- Lead officials in 3-man (sorry Rainmaker) who are loathe to rotate...even if the ball and 6-8 players are on the other side of the floor and have been there for several seconds with nothing to indicate the ball will come back anytime soon if at all
Officials with less 3-whistle experience are hesitant to this. What gets me is the guy who goes half-way across and can't figure out if he wants to finish. Again, though, this tends to be the one with less experience at three-official mechanics.
Quote:
- Trail in 3-man who calls "3 Seconds"...unless of the course the Lead hasn't rotated to the new ball side and the Trail now has nothing better to officiate
I'd add the lead who whistles the OOB violation when the ball hits the high supports above the backboard.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I'll add officials who bounce the ball across the lane to a thrower because they are too lazy to move and justify it as saving steps for the crew.
Amen!
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
From Corndog89: "Referees who step into the center circle for the opening tip and announce team colors while pointing in the appropriate direction each team will go...why?"

This is the way that I double check that we're going the correct way. Before I toss, I look to my left at the "White" bench, make sure that a "White" jumper is standing to my left and point to my right and say "White". Then I look to my right at the "Red" bench, make sure that a "Red" jumper is standing to my right, and point to my left and say "Red". By doing this in every game that I'm the referee, now the "tosser" with the new mechanics, I've never, since the new rule designated baskets for each team, had the players start the game in the wrong direction because I let them line up facing the wrong direction. Yet in the same number of years, as the umpire, or "nontoser" with the new mechanics, I have, on many occassions, prevented my partner, the refreee, or "tosser", from starting the players in the wrong direction.
Okay, I can see that...but can't you just look and check without verbalizing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
From Corndog89: "I've had partners over the years who refuse to say "good luck" to coaches because they believe the coach could imply they're favoring the other team and the chance for a fair game is therefore unlikely. I've personally never actually heard a coach say that, but coaches being coaches, you just never know"

I've always struggled with this. If you're saying "Good Luck" to both teams, doesn't the "Good Luck" cancel out? So over the past few years, I've been saying "Have Fun" to players, and, if I find it necessary to say something to the coaches, I say "Have a great game". Odd, and nit-picking, I know, but it makes me feel comfortable.
I've been saying "Let's have fun" more and more the last 3-4 years.