The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Blocked shot with contact

I have a tough time consistantly calling a player jumping and blocking a try and then make some contact after the block. Somtimes I have a foul...sometimes I dont. It seems everybody has their own opinion on this type of call/no call. I hear some officials treat it kinda like a blocked punt in football...some contact afterwards ok. But the next official will have a foul on the same exact play ...comments.

Last edited by ABO77; Fri Dec 21, 2007 at 04:55pm.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, there is never an "exact same play."

A couple of years ago the 80/20 or 70/30 rule was being talked about a lot at the camps I was attending. If the defender gets 80% block and 20% contact (or 70/30, depending on the camp), then consider it a good block. But you're right. It's still pretty subjective.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

I try to see it as any other contact....advantage/disadvantage.....if there is slight contact that is incidental to the play...no foul...if the defender's momentum carries him into the shooter, so that it seems obvious that without contact he would not have been able to block that shot, then it's a foul. When in doubt, I blow the whistle, since these things can escalate quickly.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 04:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
A couple of years ago the 80/20 or 70/30 rule was being talked about a lot at the camps I was attending. If the defender gets 80% block and 20% contact (or 70/30, depending on the camp), then consider it a good block.
Do you know how tough that would be for those FEEBLE guys to try and figure that out in metric?
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Do you know how tough that would be for those FEEBLE guys to try and figure that out in metric?
That's why it's never caught on in the rest of the world.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

I'm always a little fuzzy on it too. I look for hand on the ball first and formost, and go from there. I signal tip every time to show clean block.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 04:35pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
I'm always a little fuzzy on it too. I look for hand on the ball first and formost, and go from there. I signal tip every time to show clean block.
Oh my...

I suggest you delete that post before the veterans get on you! Please don't tell me that you do that "over-the-back" signal too.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 04:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

My philosophy has always been if it is clean up top, I have got nothing after that. Why penalize the defender for doing what they are supposed to do? This has worked for me for years and I know many official want to call a foul just because there is a little contact. If that is the case then they need to read 4-27.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Mike...............nails on a chalkboard with the tipped stuff. Let me ask you, if a player drives to the basket and B1 swipes at it and gets nothing but air, yet A1 blows the cripple and the crowd screams foul do you signal how much B1 missed by?

Marcel Marceau might but officials don't need to do this.

Last edited by fullor30; Fri Dec 21, 2007 at 04:59pm.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Mike...............nails on a chalkboard with the tipped stuff. Let me ask you, if a player drives to the basket and B1 swipes at it and gets nothing but air, yet A1 blows the cripple and the crowd screams foul do you signal how much B1 missed by?

Marcel Marceau might but officials don't need to do this.
OH..... REALY??... I have been told by more then a few officials that this is the correct mechanic on a clean block...

OOPS!!!

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Oh my...

I suggest you delete that post before the veterans get on you! Please don't tell me that you do that "over-the-back" signal too.
Gosh no... no over the back or reach around.

My partner last night.. with the reaching around signal... looked like he just wanted to give somebody a hug.

Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Airborne or not

An airborne shooter must be protected.

Here is how I would call it:

Shooter is airborne, releases ball, ball is blocked, body contact occurs while shooter is still airborne - Foul.

Shooter is airborne, releases ball, ball is blocked, body contact occurs after shooter has landed - Contact is deemed incidental (in most cases, unless it is excessive, intentional, flagrant etc.).

Arm on arm contact after block has occured I would probably deem incidental.

Thoughts?
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 05:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_ref
An airborne shooter must be protected.

Here is how I would call it:

Shooter is airborne, releases ball, ball is blocked, body contact occurs while shooter is still airborne - Foul.

Shooter is airborne, releases ball, ball is blocked, body contact occurs after shooter has landed - Contact is deemed incidental (in most cases, unless it is excessive, intentional, flagrant etc.).

Arm on arm contact after block has occured I would probably deem incidental.

Thoughts?
I do not see anywhere in the rules where it says an airborne shooter must be protected. If that is the case anytime an airborne shooter makes contact with anyone then it is a foul automatically. You do not have rules support for that any way it goes. And in order for you to have illegal contact, the defender had to do something wrong, not just contact and contact alone.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
My philosophy has always been if it is clean up top, I have got nothing after that. Why penalize the defender for doing what they are supposed to do? This has worked for me for years and I know many official want to call a foul just because there is a little contact. If that is the case then they need to read 4-27.

Peace

In my opinion, some contact after a blocked shot can/should be considered incidental. This is not unlike considering contact created by a shooter to be incidental and not calling a PC foul when the shot is released and the shooter bumps the defender a little upon landing. However, at there is some level of contact in each situation that will still draw a whistle for a foul. It's all judgement...at some point, the contact will be sufficient to be worthy of a foul.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Approved mechanics.

We all know what the approved mechanics are. They are in the back of the rule back and illustrated.

However, I don't see anything wrong with communicating what has happened on the floor. And if that means using a non-approved signal, so be it.

We all used the kick ball signal before it was approved, because it is good communication. Some high school officials used the non-closely guarded signal before it was approved for high school, because it is good communication. And they were eventually implemented, because it is good communication. It was not necessary at the time, but i didnt see anything wrong with it. Some of us use the deflection signal to communicate that there was a deflection on an out of bounds call.

I know I will take heat for this, but it's ok I am used to it.

Ok, so some people will say, we were wrong then but we are right now that it is approved. Nonsense. These are not rules that effect the way the game is called. These are just additional methods of communicating. WE ARE PIONEERS AND HEROES. Happy holidays.