The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

i had a small college game the other night, A1 going in for a layup, ball hits backboard and imo still on it's way up.. i have no call...coach go crazy wanting a goaltend...next trip down we shoot freethrows and i'm next to the coach and he asked me why no call...he said, "it hit the backboard first, they can't touch it right" i told him, that it was still on it's way up and it wasn't in the imaginary cylinder above the rim and it wasn't touching the rim, so it was a legal block!!!! Is this a correct interpretation of the rule or did i miss something????? i told him i would get back with him on the rule and from what i read i'm pretty sure i got it right....
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
i had a small college game the other night, A1 going in for a layup, ball hits backboard and imo still on it's way up.. i have no call...coach go crazy wanting a goaltend...next trip down we shoot freethrows and i'm next to the coach and he asked me why no call...he said, "it hit the backboard first, they can't touch it right" i told him, that it was still on it's way up and it wasn't in the imaginary cylinder above the rim and it wasn't touching the rim, so it was a legal block!!!! Is this a correct interpretation of the rule or did i miss something????? i told him i would get back with him on the rule and from what i read i'm pretty sure i got it right....
You got it right, but the NBA rule is different -- that's probably why the coach was confused.

Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

You got it correct. I had this same play earlier in the year. I let it go and play continued with some protest. There were a couple of other officials in the stands who said the ball was still on its way up and not over the cylinder. They then said they would have blown it dead and counted the bucket. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I asked my assigner what he thought. He said it is not goaltending but common sense officiating says to blow it dead and call it such. I disagree. I know I will take grief for it again, but I'm going with what I think is right and calling it a great play. IMO
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

that is what i got blasted for too..other officials said it was not by rule goaltending but they would of called it...they were killing me...i told them to listen to what they were saying... we have rules for a reason, we need to go by them... It was a great play on the blocked shot, why call it goaltending if it's not intended to be called that way!!! Just because it looks funny and the NBA does it, doesn't mean we should!
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
You were right, but what you described to the coach was basket interference, not goaltending.

Downward flight, above the rim, with a chance to go in, and the ball is NOT touching an imaginary cylinder with the basket ring as it's base.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

That's not what he said, Z. You speed-read his post.

Also, is there a casebook play about the ball hitting the backboard and then being legally blocked?
If not, there should be. I know many officials that are unclear on this rule, and make it much harder for those of us calling it correctly.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

i've not seen a case book play for college, but in the nfhs illustrated situations book with the pictures..there is a good picture of it hitting backboard then being blocked and saying it's legal, don't remember what page..i looked at it the other night...because i was wondering if it was the same in high school
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
That's not what he said, Z. You speed-read his post.

Also, is there a casebook play about the ball hitting the backboard and then being legally blocked?
If not, there should be. I know many officials that are unclear on this rule, and make it much harder for those of us calling it correctly.
I read it correctly.

"The coach went crazy wanting a GOALTEND."

"It was not in the cylinder or touching the rim, legal block."

If B1 touches a ball in the cylander or on the rim is it GOALTENDING or BASKET INTERFERENCE?
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 03:36pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by BamaRef
You got it correct. I had this same play earlier in the year. I let it go and play continued with some protest. There were a couple of other officials in the stands who said the ball was still on its way up and not over the cylinder. They then said they would have blown it dead and counted the bucket. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I asked my assigner what he thought. He said it is not goaltending but common sense officiating says to blow it dead and call it such. I disagree. I know I will take grief for it again, but I'm going with what I think is right and calling it a great play. IMO
So they know it isn't a violation, yet they are going to blow it as one.... I'm with you Bama, not following the logic on this one.