The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 06:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
If I make a minor judgment adjustment in that situation, that means I'm ethically corrupt?
If your "minor judgment adjustment" means that you're calling something that hasn't been called all game, and also something that hasn't been called equally and evenly on both teams, then your judgment change is faulty imo.

Why adjust anything just because the foul count is 7-0? What is the purpose of your doing so, other than trying to appease a whiny coach?
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

I have a different question on this one. In the OP it said that at the end of the V game the coach called a TO with 2.2 o 2.1 secs but the clock stopped at 1.8. Is it true that there is no longer such a thing as "lag time"? Isn't it true that if either official clearly saw 2.2 on the clock when the whistle blew for the TO then they could put the clock back to 2.2 since they have definite knowledge?
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 07:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrao
Is it true that there is no longer such a thing as "lag time"? Isn't it true that if either official clearly saw 2.2 on the clock when the whistle blew for the TO then they could put the clock back to 2.2 since they have definite knowledge?
Yes and yes.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After I noticed it was 7-0, I was aware that it would probably be good to find one soon, but there just wasn't anything there.
After you "find one" do you continue to look for 6 more to keep the coach happy?
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I agree with Daryl. BITS isn't advocating a minor adjustment in judgment. He's advocating evening up the foul count. That's wrong. And very telling imo too.
I'm quite sure you're quite wrong about what BITS was advocating. He clearly did NOT say that the foul count should be evened up. And I'm not advocating that either.

I'm also not entirely disagreeing with Daryl's post, just his language. The phrase "situational ethics" goes far beyond the decision whether or not to call some maybe-maybe-not-a-foul contact. It seems to me to be a very unfair basis on which to agree with BITS.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
After you "find one" do you continue to look for 6 more to keep the coach happy?
GOod grief, that's just too ridiculous. He never said anything of the sort, nor even implied it.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After I noticed it was 7-0, I was aware that it would probably be good to find one soon, but there just wasn't anything there.
These aren't my words! Point is why would you look to "find one soon" unless you were trying to keep coach happy? I would never intentionally look to "find one soon". Call what you see and if the fouls are 32-2 so be it. One team just fouls more for a variety of reasons I would imagine. The only reason to even know the foul totals is for bonus and double bonus! And, if a coach brings it to your attention (which OP did not say) and tells you the fouls are 7-0 you can reply "yes".
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
These aren't my words! Point is why would you look to "find one soon" unless you were trying to keep coach happy?
I didn't say they were your words. I was responding to your response. He didn't say he was trying "to keep the coach happy" nor that he would try to make the fouls even. Your response was reading into the words something that clearly wasn't there.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:36am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJB Ump
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl
Q1. Why should I be cognizant of team fouls, if at all? Is there any good reason to have this information?
I like to know when a team is close to the bonus situation. When a foul is called I'm more cognizant of who the shooter will be.
This is exactly the right answer. You should ALWAYS be aware of the team fouls. ALWAYS. Not because we need them to be even, but because it's the worst feeling in the world when you have literally no idea who your shooter is. Don't trust the table to know the team fouls. YOU be aware of it.

And here's my two cents on "finding" fouls. I once worked a college game with an official who obviously and blatantly called fouls against one team late in a half to make the foul counts closer. It was embarrassing. He called 4 handchecks in 10 seconds. I was literally embarrassed to be out there. I would never do that.

However, if the team fouls are lopsided, I'm not going to make anything up on the team that has fewer fouls -- but I'm not going to miss any, either. I'm going to make sure that I don't have any errors of omission that favor the team with fewer fouls.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Why else would anyone "look to find one soon"?

BTW I didn't say HE WAS trying to keep coach happy - I asked why would you look to "find one soon" UNLESS you were trying to keep coach happy? I think perhaps you are reading things into the words that clearly was not there.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:42am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Quote:
The official responded with "And you did? You have the same angle as me! It is time for you to sit down and be quiet!"
Right here is where you should make a mental note that this official is someone you do NOT want to emulate!
I actually like the first half of that response. If the coach is right next to you, call him on the BS. "You had the same angle, Coach. There was nothing there." But don't tell him to sit down and shut up.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I agree with Daryl. BITS isn't advocating a minor adjustment in judgment. He's advocating evening up the foul count. That's wrong. And very telling imo too.
Really? Where exactly did I advocate this?
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wouldn't call anything that wasn't a foul a foul. But there are always some plays in the gray area. If I make a minor judgment adjustment in that situation, that means I'm ethically corrupt?
We are not only ethically corrupt, but morally bankrupt and we probably go home after hard games and kick our dogs. At least that's what some of these Neo-conservative, idealogical purist bull**** artists want us to believe.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Wow. Call the game the same way in the last minute the same as you did in the first. Call the game the same way when the fouls are 7-0 as you did when they were 0-0. Don't try to make yourself look good at the expense of the players and the game.

Now if the calls were 7 by your partner and 0 by you, you'd want to think about how your team was working together.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

what's up everyone? I'm new here and actually find this thread to be what I was looking for. I'm in my 7th year of bball but first year doing HS games (JV and F) In the two JV games I've done, I've had partners who mainly work V and have a ton of exp. Both of them have made comments alluding to the fact that they'll "find one" if things are really lopsided. I don't think this is fair at all and I'm not going to do it that way. What if it's lopsided at the beginning of the second quarter and you call a ticky tack one to try and even it up and that kid winds up fouling out b/c you called a foul you would have let go otherwise? that's not fair at all. I really don't understand where this mentality comes from! I could care less what the fouls are or what the score is until the teams get to the bonus so I can get shooters and until the end of the game regarding the score!