The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Wild and crazy night

I had my third JV game, girls, yesterday. Big schools, in a big new gym (they are calling it an "arena" and that's fairly accurate). First half, fouls were V 1, H 8. The one came with about a minute-and-a-half left. After I noticed it was 7-0, I was aware that it would probably be good to find one soon, but there just wasn't anything there. The H coach was chirping a bit about it, and a lot about a play he wanted a travel on. It was two big strides for the layup, looked ugly, but definitely not a walk. I was feeling frustrated with the first half for these reasons. Then I passed on a T I probably should've called. The V coach, while leaving the floor at halftime, said to somebody else while looking at me, "They're screwing us." I snapped my head around and stared him down but didn't pull the trigger.

My partner (an experienced guy who used to do a lot of varsity but is in his upper 60s now and slowing down) and the varsity officials picked me up at half. They all had positive feedback for me, and the varsity guys both agreed the one play in question wasn't a travel. When I asked them about the coach's comment, they advised me to get away from the teams as they exit at the half, which I hadn't thought of but was good advice. I was moving from the lead on the end they were going to exit on to the table, so fairly close by their path.

Early in the third quarter, the V stretched the lead to 38-20. H went on a quick run and made it 38-28 by the end of the quarter. The margin stayed around 10 until the final 2 minutes. H forced a few turnovers and made three straight threes (the second a long one and the third was a chuck-it-in from 25) to make it 46-44. They fouled after the inbound with 8.9 seconds left, my call as the new trail. That meant I'd be trail after the FTs and have the last shot. It was pretty loud as the H team had most of the varsity crowd already there. Sure enough, the H missed both of the double bonus, and with no timeouts left, V raced to get a decent look at a three and a putback attempt (there was a little bump on the rebound but nothing I'd call a foul) that was in time but no good. I felt great about the second half and was especially proud that I bounced back after being frustrated in the first half, even if I shouldn't have been.

One question. During some FTs with about 30 seconds left, I heard somebody in the crowd screaming about how the clock didn't run for about 6 seconds. Nobody at the table was calling for us and neither coach was saying anything about it, so I dismissed it. However, according to the V assistant, there was a few seconds with the clock not running. Should I have gone to my partner (he was the R) or the table about it when I heard the fan freaking out?

The varsity game was entertaining as well. The H coach is notorious for paying far more attention to the officials than to coaching his team. I stayed for the whole thing, going into the locker room at half and after. In the first half, he snapped about an obvious back court; an errant pass that was run down by a teammate. He wasn't that far from the trail official who called it, and he started yelling about a tip by the opponents. According to the official, he said "you didn't have an angle on that" (which is funny, because if he couldn't see a tip, he has to call the backcourt, right?). The official responded with "And you did? You have the same angle as me! It is time for you to sit down and be quiet!" But no T.

V was up 3 at half, and the better team IMHO. But H went on a run, got up 7, and started giving it back slowly. Still up 40-38 with about 3:30 left, there was a held ball with both players on the floor. A couple seconds after the whistle, the H player gave a hard forearm to the V player still on the floor. Easy T. After the FTs and the possession, it was 42-40 V. V got the ball with 1:20 left 44-44, and held for one shot. (They have three excellent ball-handlers, one of the few girls' teams that could confidently hold it that long.) After a timeout with 12.2 left, they hit a jumper at about 3.0. H coach requested a timeout and got it right away. I thought 2.2 or 2.1 when I heard him yell. The clock stopped at 1.8, so no problem, right? Wrong. The H coach met the official reporting the timeout out on the floor screaming about putting time back up, and he got pinned. He probably should've been run, out on the floor in the ear of the other guy during the FTs, still animated. Afterward, they both agreed they could've and maybe should've tossed him.

All in all, it was a very interesting night. I definitely learned a couple things and I can't wait to get back out there.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 04:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
After I noticed it was 7-0, I was aware that it would probably be good to find one soon, but there just wasn't anything there.
Please explain why you feel you have to "find" a foul. I've read the rulebook and I can't find any place where it states the foul count must be even, or close.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 05:09pm
Ch1town

After I noticed it was 7-0, I was aware that it would probably be good to find one soon, but there just wasn't anything there.

Try to always be cognizant of the team foul count 1-0, 2-0, etc. Don't let 7-0 creep up on you unexpectedly coach.

When I asked them about the coach's comment, they advised me to get away from the teams as they exit at the half, which I hadn't thought of but was good advice.

Excellent advice & standard procedure 'round here... we wait until both teams exit before we leave the court.

Should I have gone to my partner (he was the R) or the table about it when I heard the fan freaking out?

Umm I would say when administering the throw-in check the clock once you chop.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From a coaching standpoint, I hate it when officials have this type of mentality. If team A is driving to the basket and cutting hard, they most likely will get fouled far more than team B that settles for early long range jumpshots and do not crash the boards. Intentionally calling fouls to make the foul count even puts one team at an unfair disadvantage. A team that pressures, traps and scrambles will probably have more fouls on hand-checking and reaching type situations than a team that sits back in a soft zone.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
on a similar note, if team A gets 4 steals for 4 breakaway layups, should team B be given 4 steals and layups to even it out??
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 05:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town

Try to always be cognizant of the team foul count 1-0, 2-0, etc. Don't let 7-0 creep up on you unexpectedly coach.

Are you serious? Whointhehell cares about foul counts? Our job is to call the fouls. Period. If it's 7-0, why penalize the team that's playing good defense by trying to invent something to call against them? Call it fairly, equally and evenly..... and t'hell with trying to even things up.

Officiate the game, not the foul count.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 05:20pm.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 05:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach
From a coaching standpoint, I hate it when officials have this type of mentality. If team A is driving to the basket and cutting hard, they most likely will get fouled far more than team B that settles for early long range jumpshots and do not crash the boards. Intentionally calling fouls to make the foul count even puts one team at an unfair disadvantage. A team that pressures, traps and scrambles will probably have more fouls on hand-checking and reaching type situations than a team that sits back in a soft zone.
From an officiating standpoint, I hate it when officials have this type of mentality also. And for exactly the same reasons that you listed.

Call the game the same at both ends and forget about trying to even things up.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

As far as the fan freaking out...it's what they do. But, you probably want to make special note of the clock starting and stopping properly from there on out. BTW, if the clock wasn't running for several seconds, and neither you nor your partner noticed, there's no correction you can make.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 05:25pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Are you serious? Whointhehell cares about foul counts? Our job is to call the fouls. Period. If it's 7-0, why penalize the team that's playing good defense by trying to invent something to call against them? Call it fairly, equally and evenly..... and t'hell with trying even things up.

Officiate the game, not the foul count.

I'm sorry Oh Great One, but whereinthehell did I say anything about "trying to invent something" or "trying TO even things up"???

All I said was be cognizant instead of all of sudden noticing it's 7-0.
Geez! You couldn't wait to jump in huh
Carry on board, I have games to go work.

a-b-c ya!
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 05:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Great. Now explain exactly what's wrong about having a 7-0 foul count. Explain what difference it makes if you do have a 7-0 foul count, please.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Great. Now explain exactly what's wrong about having a 7-0 foul count. Explain what difference it makes if you do have a 7-0 foul count, please.
Game management. If it's 7-0, you know to expect the coach to be frustrated, and why. If there's a borderline (not a ticky foul, one you could go either way on) foul by the 0 team, you call it.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 05:47pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

And what do we do if we were cognizant earlier? What would we have done then?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sorry Oh Great One, but whereinthehell did I say anything about "trying to invent something" or "trying TO even things up"???

Geez! You couldn't wait to jump in huh
Carry on board, I have games to go work.

a-b-c ya!
Several questions:

Penn Coach said, "After I noticed it was 7-0, I was aware that it would probably be good to find one soon..." The response by several was that we NEVER should think it would be time to find one soon. Just call the game. And by the way he didn't say 7-0 was a surprise to him.

Q1. Why should I be cognizant of team fouls, if at all? Is there any good reason to have this information?

Q2. So, I am officiating like you said and cognizant of the team fouls. Your response about being cognizant says to me you are telling Penn Coach he should have started looking to find one on the other team earlier than he did. So, when should I start looking...2-0, 4-0?
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
And what do we do if we were cognizant earlier? What would we have done then?
Nothing. JR has said it plainly, just call the game.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 05:53pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Game management. If it's 7-0, you know to expect the coach to be frustrated, and why. If there's a borderline (not a ticky foul, one you could go either way on) foul by the 0 team, you call it.
I expected at least one coach to be frustrated when I left home, why is often anybodys guess.

I need some help with the explanation of what is a borderline foul, as opposed to a ticky foul. And I need a lot of help with how the foul count help you decide where to put one of these.

Lonesome Dove